Campaigns for existiong Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• If a customer goes to a trade show and receives 1,000 leads.  800 are net new and are imported as leads and attached to the marketing list and campaign.  If 200 are existing contacts is there an automated way to attach them to the campaign and the distribution list?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:53 PM

Answers

• A marketing list consists of just one type of record, leads, contacts or accounts. So you can't mix leads and contacts in the same list.

My understanding of your question is that you receive 1000 names and addresses of which 200 are already in CRM as contacts but the other 800 are new leads.  I take it you want to contact all 1000 people. You will need two lists, one for the 800 new leads but the problem is how to identify the existing 200 contacts.

I'm afraid that I don't know how you can do this via the CRM application. You could write a custom import routine that would manage this but that would be a development project using the SDK.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:37 PM

All replies

• A marketing list consists of just one type of record, leads, contacts or accounts. So you can't mix leads and contacts in the same list.

My understanding of your question is that you receive 1000 names and addresses of which 200 are already in CRM as contacts but the other 800 are new leads.  I take it you want to contact all 1000 people. You will need two lists, one for the 800 new leads but the problem is how to identify the existing 200 contacts.

I'm afraid that I don't know how you can do this via the CRM application. You could write a custom import routine that would manage this but that would be a development project using the SDK.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:37 PM
  • As Feridun explained, you will need two marketing lists, one for the leads and another for the contacts.  For the contact records, you will need a mechanism to identify the contacts that need to go into the marketing list and the easiest way I see of doing this is to add a field to the Contact record that allows you to identify the Contact for inclusion in the Marketing list.  Creating the field to contain the flag is easy enough, most likely a small text field will do so that you can add a few characters that represent the trade show.  To update the Contact record, I suggest the use of a program like Scribe, Ebax, or  CRM 4 Bulk Update Tool

Best Regards, Donna
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:32 PM