Problems opening Money file following recent update to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an old 2004 version of MS Money which I have been using on my Windows 10 laptop. I was prompted for a Windows and MS office update last week, which I completed. Now I am still able to use MS Money (as I opened a sample file and restored an old backup) but I am not able to open my current file (password not correct) or restore the most recent backup ('file corrupt'). Is there anything else that I could try. My previous backup (beyond the corrupt file version) is more than 6 months old and would mean a lot of work to get it back up to date and I think I would lose some valuable data.

My MS Money version is 14.0.120.1105 if that helps.

Many thanks

E

• Edited by Ebrahimb Monday, April 9, 2018 9:30 PM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 9:29 PM

All replies

• Money 2004 has automated backups. One is an upon-exit backup, and the other is a scheduled backup. I hope the scheduled backup was programmed to occur, but it places the *.mbf file in place you are not looking at. I have mine do the scheduled backup to a USB flash drive.

To search your drive for Money Backup Files, try this in a command window:

dir \*.mny /s

It will take a while. Let's hope. OK, it probably won't find a useful file for you, but it is worth searching.

Do make an extra copy of the 6-month old file in case your hard drive fails or something else bad happens.

To get past transactions for credit cards and brokers, you may be able to use PocketSense to download transactions  via OFX. If you identify the financial institutions, we can maybe tell you what to expect.

For banks, or some other places that PocketSense cannot get data for, check the websites to see if they offer OFX or Quicken downloads. You can often import a QIF file by just renaming the file from *.qfx to *.ofx.

I don't remember what the default backup settings for Money 2004 backups were.

When you get through this, I know you will review your backup policies, and keep more that one vintage of backup.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:36 AM
  • Please note that version 14 is Money 2005.

It is possible that your current file was corrupted. Since you can open a backup, that means that you have the correct version of Money 2005 and not the version which originally shipped on CD. You should try running file repair found under the File menu. First run the "Repair Money File" option "quick file repair", then running the "standard file repair - level 2" and finally running the "quick file repair" a second time, in that order. 

If the Repair Money File option is not available, try running the utility Salv.exe in the hidden folder "MnyCoreFiles" found within your Money installation folder. Salv.exe will try to repair the last file accessed by Money.

If the file is corrupt and beyond repair, your only option is the use the backup and re-enter all the transactions that you need to catch up. Sorry that there is no better answer.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Thank you, I tried the dir search the command prompt and found the following which may be a file I could restore:

09/04/2018  21:29        24,588,288 $RTL59TS.mny

This file is in the following folder:

Directory of C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-22749734-1399944844-1289260189-1001

I am not sure how to restore it as this file does not show up in the normal recycle bin or in the usual windows search.

I also purchased some money recovery software after trialling a demo which seem to restore part of the file - the rest was promised on payment for access to the full software version. Alas, the full version did not provide any additional information beyond the information restored by the demo version.

Regards

Sunday, April 15, 2018 5:35 PM
  • 1.  That looks promising. I would try the following commands from a command prompt. If you don't know how to paste into a command line, you could make a *.bat file with notepad, and enter the commands there.

================Two line version========

cd C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-22749734-1399944844-1289260189-1001

copy  $RTL59TS.mny %USERPROFILE%\documents\hope.mny

=========================================

Alternatively, in one line (but watch for word wrap in copying)

copy  C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-22749734-1399944844-1289260189-1001\RTL59TS.mny %USERPROFILE%\documents\hope.mny

There are two spaces in that command. They are after "copy", and before the first "%".

You would run hope.mny in your documents folder. Ideally, that will open Money.

If Money opens, but complains, you will try a level 2 file repair.

Name the file what you will, instead of hope.mny. 

You could repeat that dir search for *.mbf too, if you did not do so already.

Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:51 PM
  • Many thanks Cal,

I tried to open the 'hope' file which opened Monay and prompted me for my password. I entered the password but received the following message:

'Money has detected that you did not close the file "hope" before exiting.

Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now?" Yes/No

I clicked 'Yes' to verify the information but then received the following message:

"The e-mail address of password is incorrect. Please try again"

I know the password is correct as it opens the previous backup. If I enter something else as a password in this new file, then it immediately flags that the password is incorrect. Is there any way of bypassing the password screen?

Thanks

E

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Hi Cal,

I have also an mbf file dated 5 April (the whole problem arose on or around that date) which I have tried to restore. I get as far as renaming the file to be restored and selecting the folder for the new file but after that Money just seems to hang/crash and I have to force close it. Would it make sense to re-install Money 2005 (or a later version) and then try and restore the mbf file? If you think a later version might get around this glitch which version would you recommend and would I be able to download it (or the 2005 version)from Microsoft?

Thanks

E

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:12 PM
  • Hi Cal,

I have also an mbf file dated 5 April (the whole problem arose on or around that date) which I have tried to restore. I get as far as renaming the file to be restored and selecting the folder for the new file but after that Money just seems to hang/crash and I have to force close it. Would it make sense to re-install Money 2005 (or a later version) and then try and restore the mbf file? If you think a later version might get around this glitch which version would you recommend and would I be able to download it (or the 2005 version)from Microsoft?

Thanks

E

You are already using Money 2005, as Bob Smiley pointed out.

OK. So your only backup is a backup of a corrupted file.

Your next step is to try to do a level 2 repair on your *.mny file. You can do that with the salv.exe utility, or invoke that from within Money 2005 with File->RepairMoneyFile->Standard.

I don't know if there were any significant improvements to salv.exe in later versions. There is a later version available with a little fiddling. Here is what the version that comes with Money Plus shows:

02/22/2010  03:56 PM            67,952 salv.exe

If that is significantly larger than the version you have, maybe there was some ability added.

I presume that your Money file is not from North America.

Monday, April 16, 2018 4:17 PM
  • Thanks Cal, my Money is the UK version. I am not able to find the salv.exe file on my PC and I also cannot find the file shown above on the Microsoft website.

I have decided to go through and re-enter as many of my transactions as I am able to access since the last backup. It is not ideal and I might only get back to 80% of what I had before but lesson learnt, need to keep more recent backups !

Thanks for your help.

E

Sunday, April 22, 2018 3:56 PM
  • In Windows 10, go to Start - Run and enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe.

The MNYCoreFiles directory is hidden by default.

Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:14 PM
  • You can also start salv.exe from within Money 2005.

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

Sunday, April 22, 2018 10:24 PM
  • Very old backups of MS Money are a waste of space; re-entering loads of data is tedious and may even be impractical.

I have created 7 backups, named:  1 Monday, 2 Tuesday etc etc thro 7 Sunday and I keep these on a physically separate hard-drive.

When exiting Money I browse to these files and choose to over-write "Today" whatever that happens to be. By chance some of my backups will be 2 or 3 weeks old but never more than that, a few will only be a day or two old.  I recommend this strategy to you and to others.

Teabag

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 6:10 PM