Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Outside Voice Control

Question

• I'm having some issues with the Outside Voice Control service crashing unexpectedly on me.  Issue occurs about once a day.  I will receive one information event in event viewer, followed by two errors.  Event details are as follows. 

Log Name:      Office Communications Server
    Source:        OCS WMI Event Provider
    Date:          8/5/2009 5:16:30 AM
    Event ID:      56015
    Task Category: (1027)
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      machine.domain.com
    Description:
    The WMI event provider has successfully fired events for a class.

Class name: MSFT_SIPPoolSetting
    Instance creation events fired: 0
    Instance modification events fired: 0
    Instance deletion events fired: 1

Source:        OCS Application Server
    Event ID:      32019
    Task Category: (1055)
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The application threw an exception when handling a settings event.

The application Microsoft.Rtc.Applications.Ccs was stopped because it threw the following exception while handling an event of type MSFT_SIPPoolSetting: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: array
       at System.Array.ConvertAll[TInput,TOutput](TInput[] array, Converter`2 converter)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.CallControlServer.Core.Settings.TopologyConfigurationSection_ConfigurationChanged(Object sender, ConfigurationChangedEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Hosting.ConfigurationSection.TriggerConfigurationChanged(ConfigurationChangedEventArgs e).
    Cause: Unhandled exception.
    Resolution:
    Check the events prior to this to resolve the unhandled exception.

Source:        OCS Application Server
    Event ID:      32016
    Task Category: (1055)
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The application stopped due to an unhandled exception.

The application Microsoft.Rtc.Applications.Ccs was stopped because it threw the following exception while running: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: array
       at System.Array.ConvertAll[TInput,TOutput](TInput[] array, Converter`2 converter)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.CallControlServer.Core.Settings.TopologyConfigurationSection_ConfigurationChanged(Object sender, ConfigurationChangedEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Hosting.ConfigurationSection.TriggerConfigurationChanged(ConfigurationChangedEventArgs e).
    Cause: Startup errors.
    Resolution:
    Check the events prior to this to resolve the unhandled exception.

These errors cause the Outside Voice Control service to crash. 

I have an enterprise pool, with two load balanced front end servers.  Only one of the FE servers is experiencing this issue.  I've run all the validations and they do not come back with anything significant. 

A little more about the environment, right now it is pretty vanilla.  No edge servers and therefore no web conferencing, no CWA, or mediation server.  Like I said, pretty vanilla.  We do have plans to roll this functionality out, just not quite there yet.  We do however have Remote Call Control set up with a Cisco VoIP PBX and in a pilot stage with only 5 or so users.  Come to think of it, that is not functioning at all either.  This may be an issue with the Cisco system at this point, I have not dug too far into that issue as of yet. 

All relevant recent patches have been applied to the system.  All computers in the OCS environment are running Windows server 2008.      

I have also noticed, on both FE servers, some MCU errors that may or may not be related.  One issue at a time for now...

There does not seem to be a lack of functionality while this service is down, but that could be due to the laod balancer sending requests to the other FE server. 

Thanks

Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:53 PM

All replies

• I have seen a similar issue with the application sharing service and we had to uninstall and reinstall the service to get it working correctly. Just the one service not the entire front end.

Cheers
    Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for such a quick reply Chris.  Do you have any details on how to reinstall just the service?  As far as I know Outside Voice Control is installed automatically when OCS setup is run.  I was not aware it is possible to install or reinstall it seperately. 

Thanks,
    Jon
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hi Jon,

first off you need to deactivate just that application in the OCS MMC. Then go to add remove programs and remove the outside voice control component. Then run through the setup process it should reinstall the needed piece.

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Hi

Per your description, a HOTFIX may be helpful.

Please refer to below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=967835

Hope this helpful!

Regards!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:23 AM
  • I believe we're having the same issue as you are. I have the same error on my FE server and this hotfix seems like a good try but it's not the symptoms we're experiencing. It's likely causing an issue with audio as I noticed some users couldn't hear each other but some could.

I'll likely just wait until Microsoft confirms the hotfix is worth a shot.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Well I thought after 3 months it was probably about time to reply... Obviously been rather busy lately.

Thanks for the suggestions Chris, reinstalling the service itself did not help to resolve the issue, it did however lessen the frequency.  I am now only seeing the problem once every 3 or 4 days.  I have worked around the issue by configuring the service to restart itself.

Joel, I am with you, I am normally pretty hesitant to install any hotfixes on a machine, especially when it does not exactly describe your issue. Although this looks like a possibility, am not not sure it is the same problem I am having.  Thanks by the way Gavin.

Joel, one thing you may want to check out is updating your MOC clients.  I have seen other posts referencing the fact that some versions of MOC have issues with voice similar to what you describe.  I know a recent Oct update addressed an issue with voice quality when the MOC client is running on Windows 7 which I myself experience.  I'll be applying that update tomorrow.  

I am planning on installing all the most recent OCS updates to my OCS environment this week and will report back if it helps at all.  In the mean time, I am still open to any suggestions.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Hi guys,

I'm having exactly same issue as JG Giant. Service is down once a day with same errors and events. Did you find any solution for that ?

Thanks in advance
    Kamil
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:24 AM