How does WHS lay out the data on different disks? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know where does WHS put its data on drives? I heard that WHS uses the first drive just for backup data and not the shares......If I have a WHS systems with two 500G drives.

First drive will be my system drive that has the 20G OS partition and rest of it (480G) is Data partition. Then I add the 2nd 500G drive to the storage pool, so I end up with 980G Data partition.

So do I have the whole 980G for shares/videos/pictures? Or does WHS keeps the first 480G only for backup and leaves the rest for shares/videos/etc...

Thanks

BJ

Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:26 PM

Answers

• If you do a bit of reading and searching in the forums, you'll find that my name is on many of the posts that describe how WHS stores data. Smile In addition, Microsoft has recently published a white paper on how Drive Extender (the storage manager component) manages data.

But briefly, Windows Home Server uses the entire storage pool for all data storage uses: backups, files, and duplication. Those uses share the pool, with some caveats, the biggest of which is that duplication requires space on two separate disks. In your scenario, that means that duplication would store files on the system disk as well as the secondary disk in the pool. The backup database isn't duplicated, so you will probably find files on both your disks in the scenario you present. But WHS doesn't "reserve" any space, anywhere in the pool, for any particular purpose. It uses free space as required.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:38 PM

All replies

• If you do a bit of reading and searching in the forums, you'll find that my name is on many of the posts that describe how WHS stores data. Smile In addition, Microsoft has recently published a white paper on how Drive Extender (the storage manager component) manages data.

But briefly, Windows Home Server uses the entire storage pool for all data storage uses: backups, files, and duplication. Those uses share the pool, with some caveats, the biggest of which is that duplication requires space on two separate disks. In your scenario, that means that duplication would store files on the system disk as well as the secondary disk in the pool. The backup database isn't duplicated, so you will probably find files on both your disks in the scenario you present. But WHS doesn't "reserve" any space, anywhere in the pool, for any particular purpose. It uses free space as required.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Thanks  a lot ken...

Everyday, I see a new document......I just noticed they have this doc in this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

They have some docs in other pages...so I guess there is no place to find all the docs in one place..

Thanks

BJ

Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:57 PM