Where to start my career path? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently trying to decide on one of the plethora of IT certifications available, and I had it narrowed down to the MTA Software Dev. Fundamentals certification until I stumbled upon a forum post saying the MTA would be phased out soon, to be replaced with the MCITP.  Is this true? 

Also, I'm hoping to get the opinions of seasoned IT professionals in regards to my career path.

A little context seems to be in order: I'm new to the IT world, but have a decent amount of experience with computers, mainly on the development side of things (i.e., Java, MySQL, AJAX, ActionScript, Flex & AIR, etc).  I'm enrolled in the CompSci program at a reputable university, starting classes in the fall, but am having second thoughts after seeing the costs. 

In terms of diplomas vs. certifications, I see a couple different choices.  First, I could pursue my degree while picking up the odd cert here and there.  Alternatively, I could throw myself head-first at obtaining certifications, gaining a good bit of experience along the way.  

What do you think? 

Thanks, 

Jake

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Jake,

MTAs will not be replaced with MCITPs (these exams are totally different from the MTAs). Because you're a student you could start with any of the MTA certifications.

For more help on choosing the right MCITP certification path you should decide if you're a business intelligence, database, server administrator, ... guy.

An overview could be found on http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:20 AM
    Answerer