Transfer HP version of WHS to new server box? RRS feed

• Question

• I have owned an HP EX470 for a bit over a year now. I have upgraded the CPU and the DRAM as has been discussed in the hardware forums and it has worked flawlessly since the day I got it. I have also installed 2 500 GB drives and an old 300 GB drive that I had lying around. They too have worked perfectly. I use the system for backing up the 4 computers my family and I use. I also store and stream my music collection using the Logitech SqueezeBox system.

Even though this all works quite well, I can tell that some day I will want to upgrade my server hardware. Most likely, I will waterfall parts from my desktop as I upgrade it. Thus, in 6 to 12 months, I will want to build a new server box using the Intel Q9450 CPU and P45 based motherboard with 4 GB of DDR2 that are currently in my desktop system.

Now my question. Once I build the new server system with the above hardware and the hard drives from the HP (or perhaps new hard drives as well), will I be able to install the copy of WHS that came with my EX470? Since I paid for this copy of the OS, I would like to transfer it rather than having to pay for a new copy. I don't plan to run the OS on multiple systems. Once I have the new server box built, I will scrap the old one. Thus, at least ethically this should be no problem.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
    Ira
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Ira,
    you will need a normal OEM version. The HP version is in various ways bundled to their own server hardware, this starts with the license and does not end with the different installation process, which has to be done from a client PC for a headless device like the HP using the Server Recovery disk. And this installation procedure is it, which makes the installation on another system impossible.

Besides that, the Q9450 is a bit overpowered and consumes too much electrical power for a machine, which is not really busy if it comes to processor usage, but potentially runs 24 hours per day. And, in 12 month the next version of Windows Home Server may not be that far from release any more, so a slightly delay of your upgrade plans would not be a too bad idea, I assume.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Ira,
    you will need a normal OEM version. The HP version is in various ways bundled to their own server hardware, this starts with the license and does not end with the different installation process, which has to be done from a client PC for a headless device like the HP using the Server Recovery disk. And this installation procedure is it, which makes the installation on another system impossible.

Besides that, the Q9450 is a bit overpowered and consumes too much electrical power for a machine, which is not really busy if it comes to processor usage, but potentially runs 24 hours per day. And, in 12 month the next version of Windows Home Server may not be that far from release any more, so a slightly delay of your upgrade plans would not be a too bad idea, I assume.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:57 AM
  • In addition to what Olaf has said, there is nothing currently in Windows Home Server to facilitate the migration of the server state from one hardware platform to another. Because WHS is OEM software, it is tied to the hardware on which it's installed. At this time, the recommended migration path would be to build your new server, then simply copy files "share to share". This would take a bit of time, but would result in the same data on the new server as you had on the old. You would need to join your home computers to the new server as well, recreate users, reinstall add-ins, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:19 PM