none
Need of More R&D Activities in India. RRS feed

• Question

• Everybody accepts that, India today is a global player in the software industry. Not only that, we are making progress in our other industries too.
        The progress of a country is measured by the size of its patent base. A single patent on a product can earn revenue for 15 years that increases the GDP by a really significant amount and is a steady and reliable source of  foreign exchange.
        The question that all of us need to ask ourselves today, is :"Is the rate at which we are progressing is acceptable to us and how fast are we as compared to other Nations?" & " How many patents are acquired by India every year as compared to the global patent base?"

The answer to both these questions I believe is "Not that Fast and Not very Huge". This is because students, who are at the root of all development in any country are not being nurtured or encouraged to take part in more and more research and development activities and those who do face a lot many problems.

Please take part in this discussion thread to discuss the issues faced by the students in performing R&D activities in India and how we can solve this issue??

Only by resolving them can we ensure our righteous path to be a GLOBAL SUPER POWER!!!
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:35 AM

Answers

• "India currently has 113 universities and 2,088 colleges,many of which teach various engineering disciplines. Engineering colleges in the country have been growing at 20 per cent a year,while business schools have grown at 60 per cent.Five Indian states--Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh,Maharashtra,Karnataka and Kerala--account for 69 per cent of India's engineers.Uttar Pradesh,Bihar,Gujarat,Rajasthan and Orissa account for only 14 per cent.But despite the rise in colleges,Prof Madhavan says the quality of Indian engineers is questionable on account of "the lack of trained faculty and dismal state spending on research and development in higher education.".As engineering education grows, he adds, its quality has to improve.According to the National Institute of Education Planning & Administration,the share of government expenditure on technical education presently hovers around 4 per cent.In China,the amount spent on research and development,especially in engineering fields,is a good 10 per cent.
    Apart from poor government expenditure,experts say one of the biggest drawbacks,slowing India down is overlapping."We have degrees like a Bachelor of Comp.Appln.,Master of Comp.Appln.,Bachelor of Engg./Technology in Comp Sc./IT,BSc. in Comp.Sc.,MSc. in Comp.Sc. and an integrated M.Sc. in Comp.Sc./software engineering,"says C R Muthukrishnan,Dept.of Comp. Sc. & Engg.,IIT-Madras.In terms of curricula,he says,these programmes are highly overlapping.They attempt to be everything to everyone."
    Experts add that implementation of the curriculum--for degree programmes in computing across Indian engineering colleges--also tend to be poor.Another drawback is the negligible infrastructure these institutes possess.For instance, there is a severe shortage of competent faculty in computer science/IT across all engineering institutes in India.
    A year ago,the UR Rao Committee that studied the problems afflicting engg. & higher education in India said that,to improve R&D,India needs well over 10,000 Ph.Ds and twice as many M.Tech degree holders.Currently,India produces barely 400 engineering Ph.Ds a year,mostly from the IITs and the Indian Institute of Science,as opposed to 4,000 produced in the basic sciences.
    According to a McKinsey Global Institute study on the emerging global labour market,India produces a large number of engineering graduates every year,but multinationals find that just 25 per cent of them are employable.'In India, the overall quality of the educational system, apart from the top universities,could improve significantly,'the report said.It added that improving the suitability of graduates is far from simple, but educational improvements could be coordinated closely with domestic and multinational companies to develop practical skills training in universities and external management training programs.'Study and work abroad programs can help students gain international experience and create a worldwide diaspora of highly educated and globally minded workers,'the McKinsey study pointed out.
    The cost of attending one international conference for an aspiring researcher is so high(1500 US$ app.)that it is impossible for a student to attend such conferences without a proper sponsorship plan.Such sponsorship plans are a total rarity in India.The problem of research encroachment or infringement also comes into picture,for everyone wants a piece of the free cake return of providing funds.Considering the vast difference in promises & reality,one wonders how far is the when the shall merge?"
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:37 AM
  • I personally believe that there needs to be strong interconnection between mentors,associations and students, who really want to make a difference and are ready to share their knowledge through a common platform,to generate ideas on how can we make a real difference.
    For start, this can serve as a initiating platform as a forum/discussion group where like minded professionals and students can post their ideas and views.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:38 AM
  • Nice Thought, Arijit. Keep it up.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:22 PM
  • We can post whatever R&D activities or Student Skill Development activities are being held all over the world, so that all of us can participate. Also information about organisations that help students in such areas need to be posted too.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:14 AM
  • The Indian companies should allot more funds fro research and development.. They need to understand that only by doing a lotta R&D ,will they be able to gain a upper hand in the international market..
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:16 AM
  • @Raghuram...Well said m8. It is the truth, that the growth of a company depends on how many new products it can launch. We are calling India an IT superpower, but how much work are we doing developing our own products. The major wok is being done in maintaining and giving support services to other products of foreign companies.

Hence, I certainly agree with you that more R&D a company does, the faster it can make progress and keep a long-lasting stand in the international market.

However, I would like to add, that the initiative taken by the government to promote R&D actvities among students is not enough. The aid given is like a huge flow of water, but only a few drops trickle down to the really needy and deserving.

I would like to Congratulate Microsoft for taking the initiative and started the trend atleast.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:48 AM
  • I would like to take this opportunity to introduce a few Organisations, that helps students in their R&D acitivities.

SIAM (Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics):

History: Inspired by the vision that applied mathematics should play an important role in advancing science and technology in industry, a small group of professionals from academe and industry met in Philadelphia in 1951 to start an organization whose members would meet periodically to exchange ideas about the uses of mathematics in industry. This meeting led to the organization of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).

Goals

The goals of SIAM are to:

• Advance the application of mathematics and computational science to engineering, industry, science, and society;
    • Promote research that will lead to effective new mathematical and computational methods and techniques for science, engineering, industry, and society;
    • Provide media for the exchange of information and ideas among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.
    SIAM membership has grown from a few hundred in the early 1950s to more than 10,000 today. SIAM Members are applied and computational mathematicians, computer scientists, numerical analysts, engineers, statisticians, mathematics educators, and students. They work in industrial and service organizations, universities, colleges and government agencies and laboratories all over the world. In addition, SIAM has over 400 institutional members—colleges, universities, corporations, and research organizations.

To serve this diverse group of professionals:

• SIAM publishes 11 peer-reviewed research journals and approximately 25 books per year. All SIAM journals are available electronically.
    • SIAM conducts an annual meeting and many specialized conferences, short courses, and workshops in areas of interest to its members.
    • SIAM's extensive prize program recognizes outstanding applied mathematicians, both students and professionals.
    • SIAM sponsors 15 special interest activity groups, which provide additional opportunities for professional interaction and informal networking.
    • SIAM sponsors regional sections for local technical activities and student chapters that bring faculty and students together in activities consistent with SIAM's objectives.
    • SIAM's Visiting Lecturer Program helps link speakers with interested groups to educate and spark interest in a variety of topics.

Membership

Just as applied mathematics has grown, so has SIAM membership—from a few hundred in the early 1950s to over 10,000 today. In addition, SIAM has over 500 institutional members—colleges, universities, corporations, and research organizations.

SIAM members are applied and computational mathematicians, computer scientists, numerical analysts, engineers, statisticians, physicists, educators, and students from 85 countries. They work in industrial and service organizations, universities, colleges, and government agencies and laboratories all over the world.

Become a Member: (Free for Students)

Individual Membership

Join our individual member community of over 10,000 and receive valuable benefits.

Academic Membership

Academic membership is open to degree-granting institutions. Students of academic member institutions are eligible for membership in SIAM.

Corporate/Institutional Members, Affiliates, Sponsors and Partners

SIAM has developed options that encompass a full range of corporate/institutional support.

Become a Member Now

Join online or download applications

Online Options for Current Members:

Current Members Login

Renew your membership or change your address.

Search the Combined Membership List (CML)

Directory information for members of AMS, MAA, SIAM, AMATYC, AWM, CMS/SMC

Nominate a Student for a Complimentary Membership

SIAM Regular Members in good standing can nominate up to two students per year for free membership in SIAM.

Students

Students are the future of applied mathematics and computational science. SIAM welcomes students with opportunities to participate in SIAM, as well as online resources on education and careers.

Student Memberships

SIAM Memberships for students are greatly
    discounted or free.

Student Chapters

Join an existing SIAM student chapter or start a new one.

Student Prizes and Travel Awards

Opportunities for travel and recognition!

Educational Resources for Students and Educators

Students, browse our online guides to graduate and undergraduate programs. Educators, review SIAM-sponsored reports and surveys on educational issues.

Careers in Mathematics

Here's what you can do with that math degree.

Fellowship & Research Opportunities

See what's available for graduate and undergraduate students.

Job Search Resources for Students

Learn how to conduct a job search. Sign up for
    the Career Fair at the SIAM Annual Meeting.

Mathematics Resources

Links to a variety of math websites.

Moody's Mega Math Challenge

A modeling contest for high school students
    in the NYC metropolitan area.

Student News

News about and for our student members.

Careers & Jobs

Whether you are a student considering a career in mathematics, or an established mathematician, you will find the job-search and career information resources in this section invaluable.

SIAM Job Board

Browse online employment opportunities from SIAM News and other sources. Or, visit the employment websites of our corporate member organizations.

Thinking of a Career in Applied Mathematics?

View SIAM's online guide to Careers in Applied Math, as well as other sources provided by AMS and MAA.

Learn how to conduct a job search.

Internships in Computational Science and Engineering

Internships allow you to get a realistic feel for the field in which you're interested.

Math Matters, Apply It!

An awareness campaign to help people learn more about the mathematics behind everyday life and the technologies we encounter.

Career Websites of SIAM Corporate Member Organizations

Locate opportunities at some of SIAM's Coporate Member Organizations
    Corporate Members

Aerospace Corporation
    Air Force Office of Scientific Research
    American Institute of Mathematics
    AT&T Laboratories-Research
    Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
    The Boeing Company
    Exxon Research and Engineering Company
    General Motors Corporation
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    IBM Corporation
    IDA Center for Communications Research, Princeton
    IDA Center for Communications Research, La Jolla
    Institute for Defense Analyses, Center for Computing Sciences
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
    Mentor Graphics
    Merck & Co. Inc.
    Microsoft Corporation
    MSC.Software Corporation
    National Security Agency
    NEC Laboratories America, Inc.
    National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
    Oak Ridge National Laboratory managed by the Lockheed
    Martin Energy Research Corporation for the U. S. Department
    of Energy
    Pacific Northwest National Laboratory operated for the U.S.
    Department of Energy by Battelle
    Palo Alto Research Center
    Phillips Research
    Sandia National Laboratories
    Schlumberger-Doll Research
    US Department of Energy

Corporate Sponsor

GlaxoSmithKline

Corporate Partner

Springer

For more information, you can download:
    http://siam.org/about/pdf/brochure.pdf

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:03 AM
  • Thanks m8, lot of info to read.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:36 AM
  • I would like to point out here, its not that we are not having R&D over here, we are.. look at the pharmaceutical Companies like Dr. Reddy, they are doing a lot of R&D and that is the reason they spend so much on it... So we do have R&D over here...

Talking about the IT sector, we are having most of the service sector in India, as we can see that most of the softwares and systems developed here are service oriented, that is the reason we dont have much R&D in IT sector, but trends are changing and i believe we will have more R&D but its all dependent upon our needs, what do we need is more important, if we still want to continue as a service oriented sector, we wont have much R&D here....
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Good points poitned Varun. I think some bigger companies should take the initiative. May be if 2-3 companies start, others might get encouraged. And we can have R&D also other than just the service sectors. Many intelligent scientists are being hired by foreign companies located outside india, If india gives good chance to those, it will really be profitable for out country.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Yeah, pretty good points Varun and Harshil.

@Varun- I agree to the fact that there is some R & D activity going on around in India. In fact I am into a research project in my Company. However, what matters here is the quantity of fruitful research going on.

I completely agree to the fact that there is a lot of R&D activity going on around in the phramaceutical industry, Dr. Reddy's being the prime example. But the truth also is that majority of these companies are foreign companies, and they earn foreign currency for their respective countries. I would like to point out that use of Neem, Tulsi and Turmeric is already patented by USA, when we had been using them for more thana thousand years.

Coming to the IT field, as pointed by Varun, most of the industries are in the service sector. What happens when, they decide to withdraw contracts from India and give it to say China, Philippines etc who are are our closest rivals in the IT and ITES sector. We desperately need products that we can call our own so that we can a stronger foot to stand on if, God Forbid, sucha situation occurs.

INDIA SHINING...I Really hope it does so in the future too!!!
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:55 AM
  • Yup thatz right, but even students are not adopting this thoughts, as it is we have very few people going for the masters degree in Computers, most of them are going towards service sector application only, because that is in the demand.. we have courses for OS developments and all, i.e. more indepth course for assemble languages and all, but people are not adopting it as the demand is too low and people are not aware of it... Even i had a dream of going to Base level development, but i didnt had much information for it, its only when i joined MCA i came to know that we are have different course structure.. still it is good..

but the point is that people are not aware of it, and government should take some initiative in giving this sectors a boost... depending completely on the service sector is not intelligence...
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Even i wanted to get into some systems level programming. Assembly being the prime programming language there. I think there are less opportunities about them in india. No doubt there are few, but not many to employee all of them who desire to do systems level programming.  I gave very much interest in Assembly language in my BCA and MCA semesters. And i have a good grip over it. Now if there is some R&D in india, or some good company, we can have nice chances. People who can do system level programing are required, but in india ? i think its scarce. With more R&D in the IT sector, low-level programming languages can be given more importance, and no doubt assembly is soo popular, there can be many opportunities for many indian people.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:45 AM
  • My thoughts exactly Varun and very nicely put.
    We students are the architects of tomorrow and shall be shaping the coming future. It is in our hands if we want to keep serving or get up and create something and demand service for it.

This is the reason I started the thread in the first place, so that like minded students could come together and start working towards creating an awareness campaign among our fellow students. Also, we can't wait for the government to take initiative, as we all now what amounts of time on single process takes to come out from under all that red tape and bureaucracy. Why not do something ourselves, as much as we can do and put it in front of them to implement.

I know of many organisations that provide help to students and am sure u must know too. So why not put it all in one place, where our fellow mates can come and gain from this knowledge pool.

What Say You??

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:47 AM
  • Get Involved - Volunteer Opportunities for Students!

Have you taken the time to explore the many excellent opportunities afforded you by virtue of your student membership? Well, we're here to help... The goal of this page is to help you locate the opportunities that are available to you through your student membership. Whether it be scholarships, career panels, contests, paper or poster contests... We have so much to offer! Return soon and often, because we will continue to add to this list!

ACM and SIG Volunteering Opportunities, Scholarships, and more!

SIGs * Conference Volunteering Opportunities

Special Interest Group Opportunities
    The ACM Special Interest Groups offer a wide variety of scholarship, awards, volunteering, and contest opportunities for you to participate in, here are just a few of note. Please bear in mind that in order to benefit from these opportunities, you must be a member of the SIG in question.

Opportunities for volunteering within the SIGs: SIGCAS (Computers and Society): Reviewers for the SIGCAS newsletter  contact Leslie Regan Shade, lshad@alcor.concordia.ca   (613)562-5800 x3827

SIGCHI (Computer-Human Interaction) Help to the editor of the SIGCHI Bulletin  with production. Volunteers must have net access, and people with experience with Frame Maker are particularly welcome. Contact Jonathan Arnowitz; j.s.arnowitz@acm.org

SIGCOMM (Data Communications) For more information about volunteering, please contact a member of the SIGCOMM Executive Committee

SIGGRAPH (Computer Graphics) Everything you need to know about becoming a SIGGRAPH volunteer is available at http://www.siggraph.org/volunteering/volintro.html.

SIGMIS (Management Information Systems) Membership Director developing and managing SIGMIS membership services as well as instituting a membership drive. contact Janice Sipior, janice.sipior@villanova.edu 610-519-4347

SIGMM (Multimedia) For volunteering opportunities please contact a the chair of SIGMultimedia at chair_sigmm@acm.org.

SIGPLAN (Programming Languages) SIGPLAN sponsors or co-sponsors a half-dozen conferences and workshops each year. Volunteers are needed to help with publicity, registration, and local arrangements.

SIGPLAN publishes 3 newsletters: SIGPLAN Notices, Fortran Forum, and OOPS Messenger.  We are looking for colleagues to write regular articles (e.g., conference calendars,lists of new books/software, summaries of newsgroup discussions) and help with the many tasks of being an associate editor (including searching out those articles that our members want to read).

At the SIG organization level, we need members to serve as liaisons to the various standards and publications activities in ACM, as well as focusing on expanding membership and member participation. The key requirements are technical expertise and a willingness and ability to devote time to the Programming Languages community.

Students wishing to volunteer for the OOPSLA conference can review the call for participation for details. The URL is http://www.acm.org/sigplan/oopsla or you can send e-mail to oopsla_student_vol@acm.org.

Conference Volunteering Opportunities

Thursday, June 7, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Nice one dude, thanks for the links Smile I am surely liking this.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Do try and volunteer for these conferences. They are among the most prestigious in the whole world. If u can attend them, you will be able to meet top notch professionals from the topmost companies and institutes in the world.

In fact I just got my name printed for ACM SIGCHI 2007, by acting as a reviewer.

Here is the link:

www.chi2007.org/attend/chi2007_program.pdf

(Do Ctrl + F and type "arijit chatterjee"; it is a very long document....Also check out the sponsors of this conference, while u ar at it.)

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:26 AM
  • Dan thats really long list, 5mB document. Man tis seems impressive. I think i should think to attend it seriously . Thanks m8 for all the info.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:41 AM
  • National Regional Student Conventions
    Computer Society of India

Call for Students’ Participation
    and
    Appeal for Support from Academia and Industry

National and Regional Student Conventions

As India’s largest and oldest society of IT and computing professionals, the Computer Society of India has always aimed at inculcating professionalism and research aptitude among its student members - the budding professionals. In pursuant with the above, it has been decided to organize the national and regional student conventions on a regular basis with the aim/objectives and expected outcomes focusing on the indicated themes/technical tracks listed hereunder:

Aim and Objectives

-To provide an opportunity for students to interact/network with eminent academicians/researchers and the experts from industry
    -To enrich the participants through invited talks, tutorials, and workshops on the emerging technologies
    -To enrich the participants through invited talks, tutorials, and workshops on the emerging technologies
    -To motivate the students to bring out the best of their innovation and creativity through presentation of technical papers and demonstration of path-breaking projects
    -To provide an exposure to the latest technological developments through exhibitions and industry sponsored programmes

Expected Outcome
    -Recommendation and future directions by expert panelists
    -Publication of the domain specific state-of-the-art technical reports
    -Short listing of best technical papers for presentation during the National Student Convention
    -Identification of potential students’ work for technology-business incubation

Indicative Tracks and Themes for Convention

Technology Process and Tools
    Operating Systems and System Programming, Database Management and Applications Programming, Data Communication and Computer Networks, Software Engineering, Multimedia and Internet Technologies, Hardware and Embedded Technologies, Mobile Computing and Communication Requirements Engineering, Effort/size Estimation, Prototyping, Architecture & Design, Development, Testing & Debugging, Verification & Validation, Maintenance & Enhancement, Change Management, Configuration Management, Project Management, SQA, Process Improvement
    Vertical Applications Inter-disciplinary Applications
    Scientific Applications, Business /Enterprise Applications, Government-Citizen Interface, Judiciary & Law Enforcement, Infrastructure Management, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Education & Research, Transport, Energy, Defence, Aerospace, Automotive Telecom, Agriculture and Forest Management CAD/CAM/CAE
    ERP/SCM
    Geo-informatics
    Bioinformatics
    Industrial Automation
    Power line Communication
    Electronic Design Automation

The conventions shall be organized with joint collaboration of Chapters/Branches and reputed academic institutes in several regions of India - especially reaching out to the unrepresented territories. The orientation shall be towards open source software development, end-user development methodologies, affordable computing, software product lines, systems’ methodologies and trans-disciplinary applications and not just programming aspects. The best technical papers (including the presentations of project work) will be considered for presentation during the subsequent National Student Convention. Further, the combined proceedings of regional student conventions held in an academic year shall also be published in order to motivate and encourage research publications of the students.
    The CSI aims to be an ideal facilitator and a springboard when it comes to shaping the future of students along with the industry and academia. The students in particular and academia at large need to play a pro-active role in reaching out the research and consultancy opportunities and networking with the industry. In this context, it is an earnest appeal for student’s participation and academia-industry support in these conventions which eventually would be foundation for realizing India’s Vision 2020.

Region Convention Theme Dates Chapter/ Branch Host / Institute
    I Enterprise Applications Development Methodologies & Tools 25 Feb'07 Delhi Chapter Bharati Vidyapeeth's Inst. of Computer Appl. & Mgmnt, New Delhi
    III Software Engineering Methodologies & Tools 17-18 Feb'07 Ahmedabad Chapter Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University
    IV Web Engineering 24-25 Mar'07 Rourkela Chapter Rourkela Institute of Management Studies
    V Information Security and Management 23-24 Mar'07 Bangalore Chapter RV College of Engineering, Bangalore
    VII Pervasive Computing- Technology & Applications 23-24 Feb'07 NEC Student Branch National Engineering College, Kovilpatti
    VII Multimedia and Internet Technologies 5-6 Jul'07 Thanjavur Chapter Periyar Maniammai College of Technology for Women, Thanjavur.
    National GenNext 19-22 Dec'07 Bangalore Host Institute to be decided

Region 1: Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, HP, J&K, UP, Uttaranchal and other areas in North
    Region 2: Assam, Bihar, WB, North Eastern States and other areas in East & North East.
    Region 3: Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and other areas in Western India.
    Region 4: Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Orissa and other areas in Central & South Eastern India.
    Region 5: Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
    Region 6: Maharashtra and Goa
    Region 7: TN, Pondicherry, Andaman and Nicobar, Kerala, Lakshadweep
    Region 8: International Members

Prof. H.R. Vishwakarma
    National Student Coordinator
    hrvishwa@ieee.org
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:57 AM
  • INTRODUCTION

CSI Funded Minor Research Projects

A. Objective

The Computer Society of India will provide financial assistance to:
    1. Permanent College Teachers(age below 45 years) , in the fields of Computer Science/Information Technology, who are Members of CSI, working in an Institution which is an institutional Member of CSI for developing innovative techniques and learning methods in the area of Computer Education.
    2. Students studying at post-graduate level for developing innovative techniques in computer applications with relevance to hardware under approved supervision.

A. Operational Features

Teachers (as at para(i) / PG students) who wish to avail of financial assistance under this CSI research scheme are required to submit the research proposal as per proforma inAppendix-I to the CSI Education Directorate Chennai. through his/her College. The project proposals are considered by the CSI (Research Committee) once a year.. and final decisions are taken by the CSI ExeeCom keeping in view the recommendations made by the Research Committee and the availability of funds for the scheme.

A. Level of Assistance

The following will be the level of assistance for Minor Research Projects:
    i. Projects involving development of hardware : upto Rs.50,000/- ii. Projects in software development : upto Rs.30,000/-

Assistance is available for items like equipment, books and journals , field work, and contingency expenditure including printing of questionnaire, computation work and preparation of Project Report.

A. Duration of Implementation

The duration of the project will be ten months from June to march of the next year

A. Release of Funds

The amount sanctioned for the project under the scheme would be released as under
    - 50% on approval;
    - 25% on completion of 3 months, accompanied by the progress report and Statement of expenditure for the 1st instalment;
    - 25% on completion of project, on getting the Project report along with Statement of expenditure and utilization certificate.

A. General

All assets in the form of equipment or other items will become the property of the host institution on completion of the project. Books and Journals purchased with the CSI’s assistance may be retained by the Investigator after the completion of the project.

Assistance will be available to a teacher / PG student for only one Research Project in a period of five years.

Prior approval of the Computer Society of India will be necessary for publishing the results of the study on the project supported by the CSI. In all such cases however, the Investigator should acknowledge the support received from the CSI.

The researcher is required to submit two copies of the final report alongwith an abstract of research in standard format within two months of the end of the tenure of the project, which will be part of the academic auditing.

The applications should be forwarded through the Director / Principal of the Institution.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:59 AM
  • It is time to correct India’s lopsided education budget

Salaries in India, especially for skilled workers, are rising. This is almost invariably attributed to the projected shortage in the number of workers available to sustain the rapid growth in India’s IT, biotech and other services. Those alarmed by rising wages contend that this will make India less competitive as an outsourcing destination. In addition, as economists from the IMF pointed out recently, the manufacturing sector will suffer too because factories will be unable to afford supervisors and managers whose pay scales are being driven up by the boom in the services sector. As a result, India may be unable to attract large investments labour-intensive manufacturing industries that is much needed to provide employment to unskilled workers. The wonks even have a fancy name for this — they call this the ‘Bangalore Bug’.

Yet rising wages are not just a sign of a shortfall in the supply of labour. They are also a sign of increasing productivity. A decade ago service industries employed 30% of India’s workforce and contributed to about 40% of the GDP. Today, they employ the same 30% of the workforce, but account for over half the GDP. Amid all the hand-wringing about losing competitiveness due to rising labour costs it is important not to miss this good news story. Higher labour productivity is also a source of competitiveness.

But as Bloomberg’s Andy Mukherjee argues, the impact of rising wages on the manufacturing sector deserves urgent attention from policymakers.

If the supply of technical and managerial manpower keeps pace with the burgeoning demand, the price for skilled labor will remain within reach of what laggard states (of northern and central India) can afford to pay to create globally competitive labor-intensive factories.

Although the problem is complicated, the solution itself is simple - better and wider education. But it does not require the government to implement grand projects to provide employment or even education itself. It will be far better, as Mukherjee proposes, “to ease the emerging skilled-worker shortage by freeing higher education from the clutches of state controls”.

India’s education policy needs a major overhaul. The issue is not so much that as a fraction of the GDP, India spends less on education than it should. The real issue is that it spends 86% of what it spends on higher-education, leaving only 14% for primary education. [Update: Please see the afterword]. It is not even clear that the state has any role in providing higher education. That 4-6% of the GDP that India spends on education can be put to much better use if it were to invest the bulk of it in good quality primary education across the country. Higher-education, given the clear demand for it, is already attractive to private investers. Amending the UGC Act to allow private universities to be set up, with necessary regulatory oversight, will address both the feared shortfall in knowledge workers as well as the newly identified ‘Bangalore bug’. The next two decades will see India enjoying a demographic dividend thanks to a relatively youthful workforce. That dividend cannot be redeemed if education is not fixed in time.

Afterword: This post was based on the figures cited in Andy Mukherjee’s article. But according to data from UNESCO, for the year 2000/2001, public expenditure on education amounted to 4.1% of GDP. Of this, the expenditure on primary education was 37.6%, secondary 40.1% and tertiary 20.3%. China’s figures for 1999/2000 are similar to India’s for the same period. The distribution is less lopsided using these data but the argument for deregulation of higher-education remains valid.

You can take part in the further discussion at the Indian Economy Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:25 AM
  • i 2 feel so.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:26 AM
  • India’s academic R&D budget

PeaHD

According to Abi’s estimates, at about US$ 450 million per year, the “academic R&D support for the entire country of India is about the same as (or, even smaller than) the R&D expenditure in a (largish) US state university”. The abysmally low aggregate expenditure on R&D may well be cited as the reason to explain the “abysmally small number of scientific publications”.

The more bucks for more bang argument is true to a certain degree, and modern research requires high upfront investment. Yet the question that needs to be asked is not whether the government can allocate more funds for R&D (it probably can’t), but rather what is it doing to incent the private sector to invest in R&D work?

Let's look at India's spending on science and technology R&D. Since most of this money comes from the government (private sector R&D spend is probably about a third of government spending), we have to start with the budgetary allocations. All the information below is culled from the ministry-wise expenditure budgets which can be downloaded from this page.

Let's start with a high-level summary:

Department/Ministry 2007 Budget   2006 Budget  
    Atomic Energy 3796 3173
    Space 3858 2997
    Defence 3186 3011
    Agriculture 2460 2276
    Medicine 1520 1341
    DST 1775 1177
    DSIR 1902 1550
    DBT 694 510

The total comes to about 19,191 crores, up nearly 20 % from 16,035 crores last year.

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:37 AM
  • It's worth repeating this figure: Six Billion US Dollars. For all of India.

Of this, we have just seen that a big chunk -- nearly 40 percent -- goes to mission-mode R&D programs in the Departments of Atomic Energy, Defence and Space. A huge chunk of the rest is used up by R&D organizations that come directly under the various ministries/departments (CSIR labs, ICAR labs, etc).

If you focus your attention on support for academic research at universities, well, you will have to focus hard. While it's not a needle in a haystack, it's still pretty meager. DST offers about Rs. 350 crores through SERC and another 150 crores through the nano-mission, and DBT offers about 200 to 300 crores. Even if you add the support for extramural research from other S&T related ministries (which typically is less than 5 percent of their total budgets), the total academic research support would still be less than 2000 crores -- or about 450 million US dollars. Remember, this is a very generous estimate. To put this number in perspective, it's about one-and-a-half million dollars per university!

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:39 AM
  • Here are the links to the US spending on R&D, look into the list, compare it with ours and then decide, where are we standing in todays world and do we have the time to "Sit Back and Relax", and let time to take its own course

http://www.playfuls.com/news_004896_Johns_Hopkins_Leads_In_Research_Spending.html

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf07311/

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf07311/#tab4

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf06323/pdf/tab27.pdf
    Monday, June 11, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Good researches and stats guys. You guys are really working hard. You all are rockstars.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 5:16 PM
  • There are just 2 simple rules in life, that assures you do everything right.

Remember that anything in this world is either an object(Manifestation of matter) or Activity(Manifestation of Energy).

• The rule for an object is that, " Always use the object for the purpose it has been made and nothing else".
    • The rule for an activity is that, "Always perform the activity at exactly the time on which it is meant to be performed".
    The first rule ensures that no wrong use of an object is done and the second includes the first rule for objects that might be used in the activity.

-Arijit Chatterjee.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:22 AM
  • International Association of Engineers

IAENG is a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. IAENG has been found by a group of engineers and computer scientists from over thirty different countries. The IAENG members include research center heads, faculty deans, department heads, professors, research scientists/engineers, experienced software development directors and engineers, and university postgraduate and undergraduate students, etc.

Our goals are to promote the co-operation between the professionals in various fields of the engineering and to cultivate an environment for the advance and development of the technology. Our objective includes:

Promoting the interactions between the engineers;

Advancing the application of engineering techniques from the academics to the industry;

Facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among the engineers and scientists freely.

Quick IAENG Facts:

The IAENG has (updated on June 8, 2007):

More than 200 IAENG editorial board members (EL, IJCS, IJAM)
    More than 700 IAENG congress co-chairs and committee members (IMECS, WCE, WCECS)
    16 IAENG Societies
    43 IAENG conferences and workshops

IAENG Tasks

IAENG publishes scholarly peer-reviewed research journal. The journal can be available online with full-text content freely.

IAENG organizes conferences to provide venues for the exchange of information and ideas among the engineers and scientists.

IAENG encourages and supports the formation of various IAENG societies, covering the different engineering subjects and geographical locations.

IAENG Memberhsip

IAENG welcome all the engineering professionals to join us. There will be no membership fee in according with our objective to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas freely. There are three types of memberships: IAENG Member, IAENG Senior Member and IAENG Fellow. Join IAENG now!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:25 AM
  • IAENG Membership

IAENG welcome all the engineering professionals to join us. There will be no membership fee in according with our objective to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas freely. 

There are three types of memberships: IAENG Member, IAENG Senior Member and IAENG Fellow.

IAENG Members

Engineers, university students and postgraduate researchers can join IAENG as IAENG Members (Member, IAENG). IAENG Members can receive IAENG News and view all the IAENG journal and conference publications freely.

Experienced engineers at the managerial level, professors and lecturers, and research scientists are welcome to join IAENG as IAENG Members first. Then, from time to time, our IAENG Societies co-chairs and the IAENG editorial board members make recommendation for inviting our qualified IAENG Members to become the IAENG Senior Members.

IAENG Senior Members

The grade of IAENG Senior Member (Senior Member, IAENG) is conferred by invitation of the IAENG Societies and the IAENG editorial board. For transferring to the grade of IAENG Senior Member, it requires solid experience reflecting the maturity in the engineering domain. Usually, our IAENG Senior Members are engineers at the managerial level, professors and lecturers, and research scientists. Besides the benefits of the regular members, IAENG Senior Members are invited to join the committees of IAENG Societies or the IAENG editorial board as board members or reviewers of the IAENG journals.

IAENG Fellow Members

The grade of IAENG Fellow (Fellow, IAENG) is conferred on engineers and scientists of distinction and outstanding qualifications, and who has made extraordinary contributions in the engineering field. Our IAENG Societies and the IAENG editorial board make the invitation for the IAENG Fellow.

Online Membership Application
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:41 AM
  • International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2008 (IMECS 2008)

The International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2008 will take place in Hong Kong, 19-21 March, 2008.

The IMECS 2008 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. The conference has the focus on the frontier topics in the theoretical and applied engineering and computer science subjects. The IMECS conferences serve as good platforms for our members and the entire engineering community to meet with each other and to exchange ideas. Our IMECS committees have been formed with over two hundred and fifty conference committees members who are mainly research center heads, faculty deans, department heads, professors, and research scientists from over 30 countries. The last IMECS 2007 has attracted more than one thousand and one hundred participants from over 50 countries.

All submitted papers will be under peer review and accepted papers will be published in the conference proceeding (ISBN: 978-988-98671-8-8). The abstracts will be indexed and available at major academic databases. The accepted papers will also be considered for publication in the special issues of the journal Engineering Letters, in IAENG journals and in edited books.

"Dr. Jason Ward, Editor, Engineering, 
    Springer US, has invited us for the cooperation with Springer for
    publishing standalone books for the best papers from each of our IAENG
    meetings. Also, Dr. Mark de Jongh, Senior Publishing Editor, Springer SBM NL,
    will give a presentation about book publishing with Springer. Dr. Mark
    de Jongh will also be available during the conference period to talk to
    potential authors whom may have a new book idea/proposal.

We are happy that the cooperation with Springer is satisfactory. In our
    recent IAENG conference IMECS 2007, we are now preparing our three post
    conference edited books with Springer, and, Springer will publish these
    three books of tentative titles Recent Advances in Communication
    Systems and Electrical Engineering, Current Trends in Intelligent Systems and
    Computer Engineering, and Recent Advances in Industrial Engineering and
    Operations Research in its lecture note series. It has been planning
    that there will also be the post conference edited book for the WCE 2007
    selected papers."

More information for the IMECS 2007 is available at the conference website:

http://www.iaeng.org/IMECS2008/index.html

The IMECS 2008 is composed of the following 13 conferences (all will be held at the same location and date):

ICAIA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications
    Hong Kong, 19-21 March, 2008

ICB'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Bioinformatics

ICCA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Control and Automation

ICCS'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Computer Science

ICCSA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Communication Systems and Applications

ICDMA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Data Mining and Applications

ICEE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Electrical Engineering

ICIE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Imaging Engineering

ICINDE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Industrial Engineering

ICICWS'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Internet Computing and Web Services

ICOR'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Operations Research

ICSC'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Scientific Computing

ICSE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Software Engineering

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:46 AM
  • Thanks Arijit, you are unstoppable. You really rock, a true rockstar in my sense.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 4:22 AM
  • How many of you heard about IIIT(International Institute of Information Technology)...its having branches in Hyderabad, Pune and one more in Delhi(not sure.) they had taken this project and most probably by march 2008 they will launch a network named "RAINBOW". the theme behind this is to share the knowledge among universities, colleges..

Also India launched a satellite named "EduSat"...Karanataka is the only state using it for connecting various engineering colleges in the state. what about  the Rest of India? if no one uses it ,whats the use of launching it then??

certainly the effect of politicians and rulers are a bit more in India. if once the education minister is illetrate, do you think he do justice for that post?? Its the thing happenning  in India.

Guys, the points i raised are purely of my interest and i don't want to take them personal in everywhere. 

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:26 AM
  • @Chaitanya, nothing taken personally, in fact the points you have provided are quite insightful.

I completely agree with you that we have started on the path to enriching our education system, but the issue that I have raised, is that, the speed is not enough, if we want to have a firm footage in the global arena.

Yes, I accept that there is no other selection criteria of ministers other than the vote that they get (which get easily rigged too). However, they all are still answerable to us, and if we have raised a valid point, in a valid manner, through a valid media and have a reasonable number of people supporting us, we just cannot be ignored. Hence, it is upto us students to make our friends aware of the dire need of R&D activities and influence atleast a few to stand up and take initiative.

Also thank you for the knowledge you shared with us (it was quite helpful) and please continue to share more things with us all.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:36 AM
  • thanks 4 the link
    Friday, June 15, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Wow Gr8 reply arjit. you really raised a great point. certainly i will get you more stuff and its time that we should make or bring a difference. !!
    Friday, June 15, 2007 6:41 AM
  • There is one more organization that taking it roots in India.

check out more at www.pmi.org . u can find more details in their website. also check the local websites for india. they are having membership options , support for universities, for research activities..

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:48 AM
  • About the Institution

Who we are

The Institution of Engineering and Technology was formed by the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) and the Institution of Incorporated Engineers (IIE) and now has more than 150,000 members worldwide. It is the largest professional engineering society in Europe and the second largest of its type in the world.

It has offices in London, Beijing, Hong Kong, New Jersey and Bangalore.

The history of the Institution can be traced back to 1871 and information about this can be found in the Library and Archives.

What we do

• represent the profession of electrical, electronic, manufacturing and systems engineering and related sciences.
    • act as the voice of the profession in matters of public concern and assist Government to make the public aware of technological issues.
    • set standards of qualifications for professional electrical, electronics, software, systems and manufacturing engineers.
    • accredit degree courses in subjects relevant to electrical, electronic, manufacturing and information engineering at universities and colleges around the world.
    • accredit professional development schemes for engineering graduates.
    • awards scholarships, grants and prizes.
    • issue regulations for the safe installation of electrical and electronic equipment and takes a leading part in the formulation of national and international standards.
    • provide an extensive range of lectures, meetings, conferences, seminars, residential vacation schools and publications.
    • set standards for the professional conduct of its members.
    • offer guidance on best practice in professional development, and provide details of potential professional development activities
    • operate a computer-assisted information service, Inspec, which has the world's largest computerised database in the English language in physics, electrotechnology, computer science and control engineering
    • provide business and technical information on electrical, electronic, IT and manufacturing subjects

Web Development Programme

As you may be aware, the Institution is currently in the process of a major web development programme. We want to keep you informed of its progress and any important developments. You will be able to find regular updates and relevant supporting material on our Web Development Programme page.

About the Institution

The IET has archived research papers of the top most scientists in this world like, Michael Faraday, Marie Curie, Einstein, RutherFord, Goddard etc to name a few.

What category of membership am I?

You can use this section of the website to find out which category of membership you may be able to apply for.

Please select the description below that most applies to you:

Alternatively, you can view all of the categories of membership.

The main requirement to become a member, in any category, is that you must agree to comply with the Institution Royal Charter and Byelaws and Rules of Professional Conduct. By agreeing to these you are providing assurance of your professionalism and your ethical and moral conduct to your clients, colleagues or employers. 

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:12 AM
  • @Chaitanya, really nice link m8. I have just downloaded the application form and am going through it. Please keep posting such gr8 links.

What I am trying to do over here is, through these valuable discussion of ours, make everybody aware that we students have started thinking not only about enriching ourselves, but the whole nation as well through our thoughts and actions. Also, by sharing the experience, that I have gained, while trying to get my papers published in the international journals, and making a pedestal for others to do the same, create a knowledge base, that can be accessed by those who want to perform R&D but are in the search of organisations that can support them.

Thank you again for understanding the spirit of the thread and sharing your valuable information and resources with us.

Samvaad Rocks and we are the Rockstars !!!
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:21 AM
  • Thanks a lot.

Well, now that we are not able to login into the student rockstar site, I guess it would be safe to finally state that the wonderful journey of MICROSOFT STUDENT ROCKSTAR CONTEST 2007 has come to an end. It was really fun

while it had lasted and we learnt  and partied  at the same time.

So kudos to CYBAGE & MICROSOFT   and thanks for this wonderful opportunity!!

Wishing all the coming participants of next year all the best and goodbye  , since I shall not be able to compete next year , as I shall not remain a student any more .

Promising to keep posting in this forum, if allowed

P.S: Please keep this forum running.

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:16 PM
  • Yes man even i shall not be able to participate in this contest next year. But we will still keep in touch through the forums.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Industry-Academia Partnership

Education has continued to evolve, expand and widen its reach and coverage since the dawn of human history. Every country develops its system of education to express and promote its unique socio-cultural identity and also to meet the challenge of the times. There are moments in history when a new direction has to be given to the age-old processes. That moment has come now. The challenges we are facing today are concerned with making the educational system more need based and effective, more dynamic and responsive to the changes taking place in the industrial world. The country has reached a stage in its economic and technical development when a major effort must be made to derive maximum benefit from the assets already created and to ensure that the fruits of development reach all sections. This has become more vital as the Industry is facing global competition under new policy of liberalization and privatization. The interaction between industry/employer and Academic Institutions is increasingly recognized as the basis for the development of market responsive, demand driven institutional programmes aims at providing a competitive edge to industry.

The healthy future of our industry requires greater interaction with technical/professional institutions at all levels.

Current Scenario
    In the 59 years of Independence, a large number of universities and institutions of higher learning have been established and similarly, a number of industrial establishments have been set up in the form of private, public and multinational companies (MNCs).

Industries have always been stating that fresh graduates who join them require six months to 2 years as gestation period to show their contribution and, many a time, they leave the organisation before they start showing results. They say that this is due to the gap between theory and practice. The university/institution's curricula are often outdated and the component of practice is minimum. The universities, on the other hand, feel that industries are not contributing in the academic entities. Research and Development (R&D) institutions like CSIR labs, Indian Council for Agricultural Research etc. have remained as ivory towers of research in product development design, transfer of technology and other areas. Neither the academic institutions have benefited nor the industries have access to these researches.

Similarly, there are National institutions like IISc, IlTs, NITs, lIMs etc., which have produced excellent manpower. However, most of the students choose to serve developed countries. The interaction of these institutions with industries is limited to consultation work, that too, at a minimum level and interaction with the universities is even less.

Research and Development is key to economic growth. Government has instituted funding institutions like Department of Science and Technology (DST), Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), DOE, DBT etc. to support R & D projects of universities and institutions of higher learning. Apart from this, there are financial institutions like IDBI, IFCI, SIDBI, NSIC, etc. who provide financial assistance for technology development, transfer of technology etc. Obviously, universities, academic institutes of higher learning, Industries' R&D institutions and funding agencies have been growing parallel with a common goal, complementing each other, but only to a minimum extent.

Recent surveys have also shown the big gap between industry expectations and B - school delivery. Many in Industry feel that B-school products are too raw and lack the soft skills needed in current business environment. In fact many recruiters interviewed admit that they go to IIMs because they are assured of quality of intake more than the value-addition to the existing skills and knowledge of the students. The premier institutes need to focus more on research in pedagogy, curriculum and industry interaction.

Department of Biotechnology (DBTs) national strategy draft raises concern about the inconsistent quality of students entering the workforce. The DBT suggests a comprehensive review and improvement of curricula in consultation with the industry and government-funded research institutes. A CII survey points out that 54 percent of the firms covered feel that there is lack of trained professionals in the market and 31 per cent feel that the supply is not able to match demand both in terms of skills and numbers. This study demonstrated the gap between what the industry needed and what institutions of higher learning were producing.

Synergy and Partnership
    Looking at the whole scenario, there is a need for interaction between universities, academic institutions of higher learning, industry, R&D institutions and funding agencies. This could be achieved by a synergy process wherein they will be partners in various activities, complementing each other in reaching their visions, objectives and goals. Generally, this is perceived as an activity for interaction but there is need to re-look in order to develop such a process wherein there will be more than interaction. This could be achieved by PARTNERSHIP. A few of the interventions are as follows:

a. Develop a data-base of facilities available in the university/Institutions of higher learning, industry and R&D institutions.
    b. Involvement of industry in the curriculum development and also implementation of the curriculum. (The main grouse of Indian industry, the real sufferer of the shortage of quality manpower, is that the curricula are just not geared to meeting its new and changing requirements)
    c. Faculty exchange and participation in industry and vice-versa in university and specialised institutions.
    d. Participation of executives who have Ph.D., involve them in research and development both in industry as well as universities.
    e. The industry should utilize the human resource and infrastructure available in the universities for problem solving, testing, certification etc.
    f. Conducting advanced programmes in technical, management and other need-based areas, tackling contemporary issues of mutually beneficial nature.
    g. Setting up a business development cell on partnership.
    h. Promote entrepreneurship in education system.

"There are many lessons to be learnt from the developed countries. For instance, it is quite common for leading US research laboratories to optimize productivity in R & D by linking up with the industry. Such partnerships have yielded sustained innovations and the industry has benefited from academic research. According to US Patent and Trademark Office estimate, about 40 percent of the industrial patents in the US universities are attributed to private-funded research. Obviously, India Inc, can't stay complacent". (HT, Sep 19, 2005).

The universities need to rise to the occasion but the India Inc. should come forward to bridge the need gap just as their counterparts do in the developed countries. For justifiable reasons, many universities and lower run engineering colleges blame the poor quality of education on the lack of equipment, quality labs and trained faculties. It is estimated that barring IITs, NITs and some other renowned institutions, the task of enhancing quality of education and purchase of equipment would require over Rs 50,000 per student every 5 years and as much for faculty improvement, according to an IIT Kanpur study.

Another Rs 15-17 crore would be required for increasing the number of engineering graduated by about 500 every year. The resource requirement is indeed modest for Indian's Rs 100,000 crore-and growing -IT industry. Clearly, the Industry needs to pitch for its own good.

Most of the innovations originate from the minds of the scholars when backed by the industry professionals. The Toyota production System (TPS) stands in evidence for the Industry-academic network. The networking with related industrial establishments could lead to a mutual give-and-take processes. The Ford - MIT Alliance is a model for productive exchange - the automaker benefits from research insights, and the MIT faculty and students plung directly into auto industry realities. Working on the project faculty and students have access to resources beyond any university's scope such as, propriety information, company personnel, and facilities ranging from wind tunnels to test tracks. The exchange of information between the institutions and industries help broaden the academic insight and establish an ideal relationship between the two.

Some of the important initiatives may be :

· Curriculum and Training (Academic institutions of higher learning should make use of the experiences and narrow the gap between theory and practice. )
    · Advanced Technical and Management Development Programmes (Universities and academic institutions could conduct short-term courses for individuals in the industry on contemporary issues)
    · Industrial Visits (The University must collaborate with the industries and arrange for frequent scheduled visits of students and staff so that they will be able to link themselves with curriculum and the best practices in industry)
    · Human Resource Development (Institution-Industry participation can systematically plan to meet the human resource requirement)
    · Research and Development. (The industry and institution must promote identification of research areas of mutual interest and undertake R&D activities)
    · Consultancy (Faculty to be encouraged to undertake consultancy with identified need-based industries and share experience with other colleagues and students).
    · Calibration, Testing, Characterization and Service (The academic institutions have some facilities for calibration, testing, characterization and service and these need to be strengthened)
    · Entrepreneurship Development (The academic institutions have a mandate to help students to become self- sufficient. This could be achieved either by placing them in a job or by helping them in new enterprise creation)
    · Business Development Cell (Institutions must set up such Cell, with a focus to market their programmes, activities and services to industry, research institutions and funding institutions.

Hence Industry-Academia has to be a joint venture between educators and employers to raise the aspirations and achievements of individual learners, to allow them to maximize their potential and to enable them to become part of a skilled and adaptable work force. Its distinctive feature needs a commitment of the partners to work together to improve education and employment opportunities. Higher education should serve as a powerful tool for development. Universities and institutions are centres for human resource development. The industry, R&D labs., who absorb the human resources developed in the Universities and Institutions should become partners with the centres of higher learning. In this way, need-based practical human resources could be developed. Partnership will give an opportunity for industry and R&D institutions to contribute in developing the centres of higher learning. Thus, there is need for evolving a synergy between centres of higher education, industry, R&D institutions and funding agencies in the form of partnership, which will act as a powerful tool in economic growth and overall development of the country. The Industry interface, the buzzword in many academic institutions of contemporary times, needs to be achieved in true spirit.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:38 AM
  • Need to inculcate the culture of intellectual property protection in research and development
    Dipak B. Shukla

The burgeoning and the rapidly disseminating shibboleth intellectual property rights (IPRs) normally relate to intangible property having intellectual matters in its background. Intellectual property (IP) is the outcome of creative brain and intellect. IPRs are facsimile to movable and immovable properties and are characterized by specific rights as well as limitations. The separate and distinct types of intangible property, viz. patents, trademarks, copyrights, designs, know-how, trade secrets, etc. are collectively alluded as IP.
    IPRs are and will be a quintessential component of an innovative knowledge generated and acquired through research and development (R&D) efforts and thereafter protected by an individual, a team, an organization and a nation as a whole. In the present global scenario innovation – which is a process of continuous improvement or a new process – has become imperative for self-sustenance, economic growth and competitive business advantages. It is through R&D that an individual is capable of bringing forth new and innovative ideas. Interfacing IP with R&D will pave the way to productive knowledge protection, enrichment of innovative ideas, creation of well-articulated human resources and also nurturing of an innovation culture.

To read more, check this link:

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/may252005/1553.pdf
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:41 AM
  • Mission

NAASCon is an organization created by and for students of Asian American descent. NAASCon aims to serve as a forum for AA student activists from across the country to compile resources, coordinate campaigns, and build community around shared values of social and economic justice, human rights, and collective decision-making.  

History

Since 2001, NAASCon has been an active Asian American student political organization with the mission of educating, fostering dialogue, and mobilizing students through proactive campaigns across the country on issues of importance facing the Asian American community.  NAASCon has been at the forefront of major Asian American student campaigns including boycotting Abercrombie and Fitch to gaining support for the HR 333 bill that would provide federal funding for institutions of higher education with Asian American populations of 10% or greater.  NAASCon also joined activist groups like GAPMINY and Asian Media Watchdog at the protest against Details Magazine. 

Most recently, NAASCon joined Asian Media Watch in a campaign against the Jersey Guys who made racially inflammatory remarks toward Asians and Asian Americans on a local radio station.  In 2005 NAASCon began the development of our Asian American resource guide for Asian American students including sections on film, music, literature, and speakers.  NAASCon has also launched a resource-building campaign for Asian American Studies—compiling the history, resources, and campaign initiatives from students working for Asian American Studies programs and/or resource centers. 

Organization

The NAASCon National Board is comprised of Asian American student leaders, activists, and organizers from all over the nation. Although these individuals are deeply involved at their respective universities and local communities, they meet and come together regularly on a national level to work on various aspects of NAASCon, such as:

• Researching issues pertaining to the AA community
    • Coordinating issue campaigns
    • Developing and providing useful tools for AA student leaders
    • Strengthening communication and fostering dialogue between API student leaders and API organizations on a national scale. 

In addition to the local and community organizing, NAASCon also coordinates a biennial National conference.  Despite the name of the organization, the NAASCon National Board does not work on the conference as an end, but as a means to carry out the goals of the organization. The work involved with NAASCon is not limited to the conference, but also encompasses work that requires student organizing and community building both locally and nationally. 

Others affiliates of NAASCon include the NAASCon conference committee, who helps the National Board organize its biennial national conference, and the NAASCon advisory board, composed of various alumni members and provides guidance and resources to the National Board.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:59 AM
  • Working in Germany! Looking for a challenge abroad?

Germany needs engineers and IT specialists

sign in for free at:

http://www.workingingermany.de

We will support you all the way to your prfessional aim, without any costs!
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Submit Ideas
    • For individuals & companies
    • To get help with funding, manufacturing or commercialization
    • Ideas from the web of existing great ideas
    Search Ideas
    • By Category or Company
    • By Rating or Needs
    • News clips
    Rate Ideas
    • Rank ideas 1-5
    • Discuss ideas
    • Contact authors

http://ideasxchange.com/
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:55 AM
  •  

The Idea Exchange Meeting Place
    Submit, share, rate and exchange ideas online with other members.
    A lot of people have ideas but keep them locked away. It is time to
    open the vault! Here you can get feedback on your ideas from other future entrepreneurs and establish networking opportunities to take your idea to the next level.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:13 AM

• thx for sharing....
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:08 AM
  • For more details please go through my blog at:

http://indianstudentresearch.blogspot.com/

Feel free to contribute or post your valuable comments
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:55 AM

All replies

• "India currently has 113 universities and 2,088 colleges,many of which teach various engineering disciplines. Engineering colleges in the country have been growing at 20 per cent a year,while business schools have grown at 60 per cent.Five Indian states--Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh,Maharashtra,Karnataka and Kerala--account for 69 per cent of India's engineers.Uttar Pradesh,Bihar,Gujarat,Rajasthan and Orissa account for only 14 per cent.But despite the rise in colleges,Prof Madhavan says the quality of Indian engineers is questionable on account of "the lack of trained faculty and dismal state spending on research and development in higher education.".As engineering education grows, he adds, its quality has to improve.According to the National Institute of Education Planning & Administration,the share of government expenditure on technical education presently hovers around 4 per cent.In China,the amount spent on research and development,especially in engineering fields,is a good 10 per cent.
    Apart from poor government expenditure,experts say one of the biggest drawbacks,slowing India down is overlapping."We have degrees like a Bachelor of Comp.Appln.,Master of Comp.Appln.,Bachelor of Engg./Technology in Comp Sc./IT,BSc. in Comp.Sc.,MSc. in Comp.Sc. and an integrated M.Sc. in Comp.Sc./software engineering,"says C R Muthukrishnan,Dept.of Comp. Sc. & Engg.,IIT-Madras.In terms of curricula,he says,these programmes are highly overlapping.They attempt to be everything to everyone."
    Experts add that implementation of the curriculum--for degree programmes in computing across Indian engineering colleges--also tend to be poor.Another drawback is the negligible infrastructure these institutes possess.For instance, there is a severe shortage of competent faculty in computer science/IT across all engineering institutes in India.
    A year ago,the UR Rao Committee that studied the problems afflicting engg. & higher education in India said that,to improve R&D,India needs well over 10,000 Ph.Ds and twice as many M.Tech degree holders.Currently,India produces barely 400 engineering Ph.Ds a year,mostly from the IITs and the Indian Institute of Science,as opposed to 4,000 produced in the basic sciences.
    According to a McKinsey Global Institute study on the emerging global labour market,India produces a large number of engineering graduates every year,but multinationals find that just 25 per cent of them are employable.'In India, the overall quality of the educational system, apart from the top universities,could improve significantly,'the report said.It added that improving the suitability of graduates is far from simple, but educational improvements could be coordinated closely with domestic and multinational companies to develop practical skills training in universities and external management training programs.'Study and work abroad programs can help students gain international experience and create a worldwide diaspora of highly educated and globally minded workers,'the McKinsey study pointed out.
    The cost of attending one international conference for an aspiring researcher is so high(1500 US$ app.)that it is impossible for a student to attend such conferences without a proper sponsorship plan.Such sponsorship plans are a total rarity in India.The problem of research encroachment or infringement also comes into picture,for everyone wants a piece of the free cake return of providing funds.Considering the vast difference in promises & reality,one wonders how far is the when the shall merge?"
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:37 AM
  • I personally believe that there needs to be strong interconnection between mentors,associations and students, who really want to make a difference and are ready to share their knowledge through a common platform,to generate ideas on how can we make a real difference.
    For start, this can serve as a initiating platform as a forum/discussion group where like minded professionals and students can post their ideas and views.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:38 AM
  • Nice Thought, Arijit. Keep it up.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:22 PM
  • We can post whatever R&D activities or Student Skill Development activities are being held all over the world, so that all of us can participate. Also information about organisations that help students in such areas need to be posted too.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:14 AM
  • The Indian companies should allot more funds fro research and development.. They need to understand that only by doing a lotta R&D ,will they be able to gain a upper hand in the international market..
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 4:16 AM
  • @Raghuram...Well said m8. It is the truth, that the growth of a company depends on how many new products it can launch. We are calling India an IT superpower, but how much work are we doing developing our own products. The major wok is being done in maintaining and giving support services to other products of foreign companies.

Hence, I certainly agree with you that more R&D a company does, the faster it can make progress and keep a long-lasting stand in the international market.

However, I would like to add, that the initiative taken by the government to promote R&D actvities among students is not enough. The aid given is like a huge flow of water, but only a few drops trickle down to the really needy and deserving.

I would like to Congratulate Microsoft for taking the initiative and started the trend atleast.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:48 AM
  • I would like to take this opportunity to introduce a few Organisations, that helps students in their R&D acitivities.

SIAM (Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics):

History: Inspired by the vision that applied mathematics should play an important role in advancing science and technology in industry, a small group of professionals from academe and industry met in Philadelphia in 1951 to start an organization whose members would meet periodically to exchange ideas about the uses of mathematics in industry. This meeting led to the organization of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).

Goals

The goals of SIAM are to:

• Advance the application of mathematics and computational science to engineering, industry, science, and society;
    • Promote research that will lead to effective new mathematical and computational methods and techniques for science, engineering, industry, and society;
    • Provide media for the exchange of information and ideas among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.
    SIAM membership has grown from a few hundred in the early 1950s to more than 10,000 today. SIAM Members are applied and computational mathematicians, computer scientists, numerical analysts, engineers, statisticians, mathematics educators, and students. They work in industrial and service organizations, universities, colleges and government agencies and laboratories all over the world. In addition, SIAM has over 400 institutional members—colleges, universities, corporations, and research organizations.

To serve this diverse group of professionals:

• SIAM publishes 11 peer-reviewed research journals and approximately 25 books per year. All SIAM journals are available electronically.
    • SIAM conducts an annual meeting and many specialized conferences, short courses, and workshops in areas of interest to its members.
    • SIAM's extensive prize program recognizes outstanding applied mathematicians, both students and professionals.
    • SIAM sponsors 15 special interest activity groups, which provide additional opportunities for professional interaction and informal networking.
    • SIAM sponsors regional sections for local technical activities and student chapters that bring faculty and students together in activities consistent with SIAM's objectives.
    • SIAM's Visiting Lecturer Program helps link speakers with interested groups to educate and spark interest in a variety of topics.

Membership

Just as applied mathematics has grown, so has SIAM membership—from a few hundred in the early 1950s to over 10,000 today. In addition, SIAM has over 500 institutional members—colleges, universities, corporations, and research organizations.

SIAM members are applied and computational mathematicians, computer scientists, numerical analysts, engineers, statisticians, physicists, educators, and students from 85 countries. They work in industrial and service organizations, universities, colleges, and government agencies and laboratories all over the world.

Become a Member: (Free for Students)

Individual Membership

Join our individual member community of over 10,000 and receive valuable benefits.

Academic Membership

Academic membership is open to degree-granting institutions. Students of academic member institutions are eligible for membership in SIAM.

Corporate/Institutional Members, Affiliates, Sponsors and Partners

SIAM has developed options that encompass a full range of corporate/institutional support.

Become a Member Now

Join online or download applications

Online Options for Current Members:

Current Members Login

Renew your membership or change your address.

Search the Combined Membership List (CML)

Directory information for members of AMS, MAA, SIAM, AMATYC, AWM, CMS/SMC

Nominate a Student for a Complimentary Membership

SIAM Regular Members in good standing can nominate up to two students per year for free membership in SIAM.

Students

Students are the future of applied mathematics and computational science. SIAM welcomes students with opportunities to participate in SIAM, as well as online resources on education and careers.

Student Memberships

SIAM Memberships for students are greatly
    discounted or free.

Student Chapters

Join an existing SIAM student chapter or start a new one.

Student Prizes and Travel Awards

Opportunities for travel and recognition!

Educational Resources for Students and Educators

Students, browse our online guides to graduate and undergraduate programs. Educators, review SIAM-sponsored reports and surveys on educational issues.

Careers in Mathematics

Here's what you can do with that math degree.

Fellowship & Research Opportunities

See what's available for graduate and undergraduate students.

Learn how to conduct a job search. Sign up for
    the Career Fair at the SIAM Annual Meeting.

Mathematics Resources

Links to a variety of math websites.

Moody's Mega Math Challenge

A modeling contest for high school students
    in the NYC metropolitan area.

Student News

News about and for our student members.

Careers & Jobs

Whether you are a student considering a career in mathematics, or an established mathematician, you will find the job-search and career information resources in this section invaluable.

SIAM Job Board

Browse online employment opportunities from SIAM News and other sources. Or, visit the employment websites of our corporate member organizations.

Thinking of a Career in Applied Mathematics?

View SIAM's online guide to Careers in Applied Math, as well as other sources provided by AMS and MAA.

Learn how to conduct a job search.

Internships in Computational Science and Engineering

Internships allow you to get a realistic feel for the field in which you're interested.

Math Matters, Apply It!

An awareness campaign to help people learn more about the mathematics behind everyday life and the technologies we encounter.

Career Websites of SIAM Corporate Member Organizations

Locate opportunities at some of SIAM's Coporate Member Organizations
    Corporate Members

Aerospace Corporation
    Air Force Office of Scientific Research
    American Institute of Mathematics
    AT&T Laboratories-Research
    Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies
    The Boeing Company
    Exxon Research and Engineering Company
    General Motors Corporation
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    IBM Corporation
    IDA Center for Communications Research, Princeton
    IDA Center for Communications Research, La Jolla
    Institute for Defense Analyses, Center for Computing Sciences
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    Mathematical Sciences Research Institute
    Mentor Graphics
    Merck & Co. Inc.
    Microsoft Corporation
    MSC.Software Corporation
    National Security Agency
    NEC Laboratories America, Inc.
    National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
    Oak Ridge National Laboratory managed by the Lockheed
    Martin Energy Research Corporation for the U. S. Department
    of Energy
    Pacific Northwest National Laboratory operated for the U.S.
    Department of Energy by Battelle
    Palo Alto Research Center
    Phillips Research
    Sandia National Laboratories
    Schlumberger-Doll Research
    US Department of Energy

Corporate Sponsor

GlaxoSmithKline

Corporate Partner

Springer

For more information, you can download:
    http://siam.org/about/pdf/brochure.pdf

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:03 AM
  • Thanks m8, lot of info to read.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:36 AM
  • I would like to point out here, its not that we are not having R&D over here, we are.. look at the pharmaceutical Companies like Dr. Reddy, they are doing a lot of R&D and that is the reason they spend so much on it... So we do have R&D over here...

Talking about the IT sector, we are having most of the service sector in India, as we can see that most of the softwares and systems developed here are service oriented, that is the reason we dont have much R&D in IT sector, but trends are changing and i believe we will have more R&D but its all dependent upon our needs, what do we need is more important, if we still want to continue as a service oriented sector, we wont have much R&D here....
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Good points poitned Varun. I think some bigger companies should take the initiative. May be if 2-3 companies start, others might get encouraged. And we can have R&D also other than just the service sectors. Many intelligent scientists are being hired by foreign companies located outside india, If india gives good chance to those, it will really be profitable for out country.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Yeah, pretty good points Varun and Harshil.

@Varun- I agree to the fact that there is some R & D activity going on around in India. In fact I am into a research project in my Company. However, what matters here is the quantity of fruitful research going on.

I completely agree to the fact that there is a lot of R&D activity going on around in the phramaceutical industry, Dr. Reddy's being the prime example. But the truth also is that majority of these companies are foreign companies, and they earn foreign currency for their respective countries. I would like to point out that use of Neem, Tulsi and Turmeric is already patented by USA, when we had been using them for more thana thousand years.

Coming to the IT field, as pointed by Varun, most of the industries are in the service sector. What happens when, they decide to withdraw contracts from India and give it to say China, Philippines etc who are are our closest rivals in the IT and ITES sector. We desperately need products that we can call our own so that we can a stronger foot to stand on if, God Forbid, sucha situation occurs.

INDIA SHINING...I Really hope it does so in the future too!!!
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:55 AM
  • Yup thatz right, but even students are not adopting this thoughts, as it is we have very few people going for the masters degree in Computers, most of them are going towards service sector application only, because that is in the demand.. we have courses for OS developments and all, i.e. more indepth course for assemble languages and all, but people are not adopting it as the demand is too low and people are not aware of it... Even i had a dream of going to Base level development, but i didnt had much information for it, its only when i joined MCA i came to know that we are have different course structure.. still it is good..

but the point is that people are not aware of it, and government should take some initiative in giving this sectors a boost... depending completely on the service sector is not intelligence...
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Even i wanted to get into some systems level programming. Assembly being the prime programming language there. I think there are less opportunities about them in india. No doubt there are few, but not many to employee all of them who desire to do systems level programming.  I gave very much interest in Assembly language in my BCA and MCA semesters. And i have a good grip over it. Now if there is some R&D in india, or some good company, we can have nice chances. People who can do system level programing are required, but in india ? i think its scarce. With more R&D in the IT sector, low-level programming languages can be given more importance, and no doubt assembly is soo popular, there can be many opportunities for many indian people.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:45 AM
  • My thoughts exactly Varun and very nicely put.
    We students are the architects of tomorrow and shall be shaping the coming future. It is in our hands if we want to keep serving or get up and create something and demand service for it.

This is the reason I started the thread in the first place, so that like minded students could come together and start working towards creating an awareness campaign among our fellow students. Also, we can't wait for the government to take initiative, as we all now what amounts of time on single process takes to come out from under all that red tape and bureaucracy. Why not do something ourselves, as much as we can do and put it in front of them to implement.

I know of many organisations that provide help to students and am sure u must know too. So why not put it all in one place, where our fellow mates can come and gain from this knowledge pool.

What Say You??

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:47 AM
  • Get Involved - Volunteer Opportunities for Students!

Have you taken the time to explore the many excellent opportunities afforded you by virtue of your student membership? Well, we're here to help... The goal of this page is to help you locate the opportunities that are available to you through your student membership. Whether it be scholarships, career panels, contests, paper or poster contests... We have so much to offer! Return soon and often, because we will continue to add to this list!

ACM and SIG Volunteering Opportunities, Scholarships, and more!

SIGs * Conference Volunteering Opportunities

Special Interest Group Opportunities
    The ACM Special Interest Groups offer a wide variety of scholarship, awards, volunteering, and contest opportunities for you to participate in, here are just a few of note. Please bear in mind that in order to benefit from these opportunities, you must be a member of the SIG in question.

Opportunities for volunteering within the SIGs: SIGCAS (Computers and Society): Reviewers for the SIGCAS newsletter  contact Leslie Regan Shade, lshad@alcor.concordia.ca   (613)562-5800 x3827

SIGCHI (Computer-Human Interaction) Help to the editor of the SIGCHI Bulletin  with production. Volunteers must have net access, and people with experience with Frame Maker are particularly welcome. Contact Jonathan Arnowitz; j.s.arnowitz@acm.org

SIGCOMM (Data Communications) For more information about volunteering, please contact a member of the SIGCOMM Executive Committee

SIGGRAPH (Computer Graphics) Everything you need to know about becoming a SIGGRAPH volunteer is available at http://www.siggraph.org/volunteering/volintro.html.

SIGMIS (Management Information Systems) Membership Director developing and managing SIGMIS membership services as well as instituting a membership drive. contact Janice Sipior, janice.sipior@villanova.edu 610-519-4347

SIGMM (Multimedia) For volunteering opportunities please contact a the chair of SIGMultimedia at chair_sigmm@acm.org.

SIGPLAN (Programming Languages) SIGPLAN sponsors or co-sponsors a half-dozen conferences and workshops each year. Volunteers are needed to help with publicity, registration, and local arrangements.

SIGPLAN publishes 3 newsletters: SIGPLAN Notices, Fortran Forum, and OOPS Messenger.  We are looking for colleagues to write regular articles (e.g., conference calendars,lists of new books/software, summaries of newsgroup discussions) and help with the many tasks of being an associate editor (including searching out those articles that our members want to read).

At the SIG organization level, we need members to serve as liaisons to the various standards and publications activities in ACM, as well as focusing on expanding membership and member participation. The key requirements are technical expertise and a willingness and ability to devote time to the Programming Languages community.

Students wishing to volunteer for the OOPSLA conference can review the call for participation for details. The URL is http://www.acm.org/sigplan/oopsla or you can send e-mail to oopsla_student_vol@acm.org.

Conference Volunteering Opportunities

Thursday, June 7, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Nice one dude, thanks for the links Smile I am surely liking this.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Do try and volunteer for these conferences. They are among the most prestigious in the whole world. If u can attend them, you will be able to meet top notch professionals from the topmost companies and institutes in the world.

In fact I just got my name printed for ACM SIGCHI 2007, by acting as a reviewer.

Here is the link:

www.chi2007.org/attend/chi2007_program.pdf

(Do Ctrl + F and type "arijit chatterjee"; it is a very long document....Also check out the sponsors of this conference, while u ar at it.)

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:26 AM
  • Dan thats really long list, 5mB document. Man tis seems impressive. I think i should think to attend it seriously . Thanks m8 for all the info.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:41 AM
  • National Regional Student Conventions
    Computer Society of India

Call for Students’ Participation
    and
    Appeal for Support from Academia and Industry

National and Regional Student Conventions

As India’s largest and oldest society of IT and computing professionals, the Computer Society of India has always aimed at inculcating professionalism and research aptitude among its student members - the budding professionals. In pursuant with the above, it has been decided to organize the national and regional student conventions on a regular basis with the aim/objectives and expected outcomes focusing on the indicated themes/technical tracks listed hereunder:

Aim and Objectives

-To provide an opportunity for students to interact/network with eminent academicians/researchers and the experts from industry
    -To motivate the students to bring out the best of their innovation and creativity through presentation of technical papers and demonstration of path-breaking projects
    -To provide an exposure to the latest technological developments through exhibitions and industry sponsored programmes

Expected Outcome
    -Recommendation and future directions by expert panelists
    -Publication of the domain specific state-of-the-art technical reports
    -Short listing of best technical papers for presentation during the National Student Convention
    -Identification of potential students’ work for technology-business incubation

Indicative Tracks and Themes for Convention

Technology Process and Tools
    Operating Systems and System Programming, Database Management and Applications Programming, Data Communication and Computer Networks, Software Engineering, Multimedia and Internet Technologies, Hardware and Embedded Technologies, Mobile Computing and Communication Requirements Engineering, Effort/size Estimation, Prototyping, Architecture & Design, Development, Testing & Debugging, Verification & Validation, Maintenance & Enhancement, Change Management, Configuration Management, Project Management, SQA, Process Improvement
    Vertical Applications Inter-disciplinary Applications
    Scientific Applications, Business /Enterprise Applications, Government-Citizen Interface, Judiciary & Law Enforcement, Infrastructure Management, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Education & Research, Transport, Energy, Defence, Aerospace, Automotive Telecom, Agriculture and Forest Management CAD/CAM/CAE
    ERP/SCM
    Geo-informatics
    Bioinformatics
    Industrial Automation
    Power line Communication
    Electronic Design Automation

The conventions shall be organized with joint collaboration of Chapters/Branches and reputed academic institutes in several regions of India - especially reaching out to the unrepresented territories. The orientation shall be towards open source software development, end-user development methodologies, affordable computing, software product lines, systems’ methodologies and trans-disciplinary applications and not just programming aspects. The best technical papers (including the presentations of project work) will be considered for presentation during the subsequent National Student Convention. Further, the combined proceedings of regional student conventions held in an academic year shall also be published in order to motivate and encourage research publications of the students.
    The CSI aims to be an ideal facilitator and a springboard when it comes to shaping the future of students along with the industry and academia. The students in particular and academia at large need to play a pro-active role in reaching out the research and consultancy opportunities and networking with the industry. In this context, it is an earnest appeal for student’s participation and academia-industry support in these conventions which eventually would be foundation for realizing India’s Vision 2020.

Region Convention Theme Dates Chapter/ Branch Host / Institute
    I Enterprise Applications Development Methodologies & Tools 25 Feb'07 Delhi Chapter Bharati Vidyapeeth's Inst. of Computer Appl. & Mgmnt, New Delhi
    III Software Engineering Methodologies & Tools 17-18 Feb'07 Ahmedabad Chapter Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University
    IV Web Engineering 24-25 Mar'07 Rourkela Chapter Rourkela Institute of Management Studies
    V Information Security and Management 23-24 Mar'07 Bangalore Chapter RV College of Engineering, Bangalore
    VII Pervasive Computing- Technology & Applications 23-24 Feb'07 NEC Student Branch National Engineering College, Kovilpatti
    VII Multimedia and Internet Technologies 5-6 Jul'07 Thanjavur Chapter Periyar Maniammai College of Technology for Women, Thanjavur.
    National GenNext 19-22 Dec'07 Bangalore Host Institute to be decided

Region 1: Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, HP, J&K, UP, Uttaranchal and other areas in North
    Region 2: Assam, Bihar, WB, North Eastern States and other areas in East & North East.
    Region 3: Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and other areas in Western India.
    Region 4: Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, Orissa and other areas in Central & South Eastern India.
    Region 5: Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
    Region 6: Maharashtra and Goa
    Region 7: TN, Pondicherry, Andaman and Nicobar, Kerala, Lakshadweep
    Region 8: International Members

Prof. H.R. Vishwakarma
    National Student Coordinator
    hrvishwa@ieee.org
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:57 AM
  • INTRODUCTION

CSI Funded Minor Research Projects

A. Objective

The Computer Society of India will provide financial assistance to:
    1. Permanent College Teachers(age below 45 years) , in the fields of Computer Science/Information Technology, who are Members of CSI, working in an Institution which is an institutional Member of CSI for developing innovative techniques and learning methods in the area of Computer Education.
    2. Students studying at post-graduate level for developing innovative techniques in computer applications with relevance to hardware under approved supervision.

A. Operational Features

Teachers (as at para(i) / PG students) who wish to avail of financial assistance under this CSI research scheme are required to submit the research proposal as per proforma inAppendix-I to the CSI Education Directorate Chennai. through his/her College. The project proposals are considered by the CSI (Research Committee) once a year.. and final decisions are taken by the CSI ExeeCom keeping in view the recommendations made by the Research Committee and the availability of funds for the scheme.

A. Level of Assistance

The following will be the level of assistance for Minor Research Projects:
    i. Projects involving development of hardware : upto Rs.50,000/- ii. Projects in software development : upto Rs.30,000/-

Assistance is available for items like equipment, books and journals , field work, and contingency expenditure including printing of questionnaire, computation work and preparation of Project Report.

A. Duration of Implementation

The duration of the project will be ten months from June to march of the next year

A. Release of Funds

The amount sanctioned for the project under the scheme would be released as under
    - 50% on approval;
    - 25% on completion of 3 months, accompanied by the progress report and Statement of expenditure for the 1st instalment;
    - 25% on completion of project, on getting the Project report along with Statement of expenditure and utilization certificate.

A. General

All assets in the form of equipment or other items will become the property of the host institution on completion of the project. Books and Journals purchased with the CSI’s assistance may be retained by the Investigator after the completion of the project.

Assistance will be available to a teacher / PG student for only one Research Project in a period of five years.

Prior approval of the Computer Society of India will be necessary for publishing the results of the study on the project supported by the CSI. In all such cases however, the Investigator should acknowledge the support received from the CSI.

The researcher is required to submit two copies of the final report alongwith an abstract of research in standard format within two months of the end of the tenure of the project, which will be part of the academic auditing.

The applications should be forwarded through the Director / Principal of the Institution.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 6:59 AM
  • It is time to correct India’s lopsided education budget

Salaries in India, especially for skilled workers, are rising. This is almost invariably attributed to the projected shortage in the number of workers available to sustain the rapid growth in India’s IT, biotech and other services. Those alarmed by rising wages contend that this will make India less competitive as an outsourcing destination. In addition, as economists from the IMF pointed out recently, the manufacturing sector will suffer too because factories will be unable to afford supervisors and managers whose pay scales are being driven up by the boom in the services sector. As a result, India may be unable to attract large investments labour-intensive manufacturing industries that is much needed to provide employment to unskilled workers. The wonks even have a fancy name for this — they call this the ‘Bangalore Bug’.

Yet rising wages are not just a sign of a shortfall in the supply of labour. They are also a sign of increasing productivity. A decade ago service industries employed 30% of India’s workforce and contributed to about 40% of the GDP. Today, they employ the same 30% of the workforce, but account for over half the GDP. Amid all the hand-wringing about losing competitiveness due to rising labour costs it is important not to miss this good news story. Higher labour productivity is also a source of competitiveness.

But as Bloomberg’s Andy Mukherjee argues, the impact of rising wages on the manufacturing sector deserves urgent attention from policymakers.

If the supply of technical and managerial manpower keeps pace with the burgeoning demand, the price for skilled labor will remain within reach of what laggard states (of northern and central India) can afford to pay to create globally competitive labor-intensive factories.

Although the problem is complicated, the solution itself is simple - better and wider education. But it does not require the government to implement grand projects to provide employment or even education itself. It will be far better, as Mukherjee proposes, “to ease the emerging skilled-worker shortage by freeing higher education from the clutches of state controls”.

India’s education policy needs a major overhaul. The issue is not so much that as a fraction of the GDP, India spends less on education than it should. The real issue is that it spends 86% of what it spends on higher-education, leaving only 14% for primary education. [Update: Please see the afterword]. It is not even clear that the state has any role in providing higher education. That 4-6% of the GDP that India spends on education can be put to much better use if it were to invest the bulk of it in good quality primary education across the country. Higher-education, given the clear demand for it, is already attractive to private investers. Amending the UGC Act to allow private universities to be set up, with necessary regulatory oversight, will address both the feared shortfall in knowledge workers as well as the newly identified ‘Bangalore bug’. The next two decades will see India enjoying a demographic dividend thanks to a relatively youthful workforce. That dividend cannot be redeemed if education is not fixed in time.

Afterword: This post was based on the figures cited in Andy Mukherjee’s article. But according to data from UNESCO, for the year 2000/2001, public expenditure on education amounted to 4.1% of GDP. Of this, the expenditure on primary education was 37.6%, secondary 40.1% and tertiary 20.3%. China’s figures for 1999/2000 are similar to India’s for the same period. The distribution is less lopsided using these data but the argument for deregulation of higher-education remains valid.

You can take part in the further discussion at the Indian Economy Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2007 7:25 AM
  • i 2 feel so.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 11:26 AM
  • India’s academic R&D budget

PeaHD

According to Abi’s estimates, at about US$ 450 million per year, the “academic R&D support for the entire country of India is about the same as (or, even smaller than) the R&D expenditure in a (largish) US state university”. The abysmally low aggregate expenditure on R&D may well be cited as the reason to explain the “abysmally small number of scientific publications”.

The more bucks for more bang argument is true to a certain degree, and modern research requires high upfront investment. Yet the question that needs to be asked is not whether the government can allocate more funds for R&D (it probably can’t), but rather what is it doing to incent the private sector to invest in R&D work?

Let's look at India's spending on science and technology R&D. Since most of this money comes from the government (private sector R&D spend is probably about a third of government spending), we have to start with the budgetary allocations. All the information below is culled from the ministry-wise expenditure budgets which can be downloaded from this page.

Let's start with a high-level summary:

Department/Ministry 2007 Budget   2006 Budget  
    Atomic Energy 3796 3173
    Space 3858 2997
    Defence 3186 3011
    Agriculture 2460 2276
    Medicine 1520 1341
    DST 1775 1177
    DSIR 1902 1550
    DBT 694 510

The total comes to about 19,191 crores, up nearly 20 % from 16,035 crores last year.

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:37 AM
  • It's worth repeating this figure: Six Billion US Dollars. For all of India.

Of this, we have just seen that a big chunk -- nearly 40 percent -- goes to mission-mode R&D programs in the Departments of Atomic Energy, Defence and Space. A huge chunk of the rest is used up by R&D organizations that come directly under the various ministries/departments (CSIR labs, ICAR labs, etc).

If you focus your attention on support for academic research at universities, well, you will have to focus hard. While it's not a needle in a haystack, it's still pretty meager. DST offers about Rs. 350 crores through SERC and another 150 crores through the nano-mission, and DBT offers about 200 to 300 crores. Even if you add the support for extramural research from other S&T related ministries (which typically is less than 5 percent of their total budgets), the total academic research support would still be less than 2000 crores -- or about 450 million US dollars. Remember, this is a very generous estimate. To put this number in perspective, it's about one-and-a-half million dollars per university!

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:39 AM
  • Here are the links to the US spending on R&D, look into the list, compare it with ours and then decide, where are we standing in todays world and do we have the time to "Sit Back and Relax", and let time to take its own course

http://www.playfuls.com/news_004896_Johns_Hopkins_Leads_In_Research_Spending.html

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf07311/

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf07311/#tab4

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf06323/pdf/tab27.pdf
    Monday, June 11, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Good researches and stats guys. You guys are really working hard. You all are rockstars.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 5:16 PM
  • There are just 2 simple rules in life, that assures you do everything right.

Remember that anything in this world is either an object(Manifestation of matter) or Activity(Manifestation of Energy).

• The rule for an object is that, " Always use the object for the purpose it has been made and nothing else".
    • The rule for an activity is that, "Always perform the activity at exactly the time on which it is meant to be performed".
    The first rule ensures that no wrong use of an object is done and the second includes the first rule for objects that might be used in the activity.

-Arijit Chatterjee.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:22 AM
  • International Association of Engineers

IAENG is a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. IAENG has been found by a group of engineers and computer scientists from over thirty different countries. The IAENG members include research center heads, faculty deans, department heads, professors, research scientists/engineers, experienced software development directors and engineers, and university postgraduate and undergraduate students, etc.

Our goals are to promote the co-operation between the professionals in various fields of the engineering and to cultivate an environment for the advance and development of the technology. Our objective includes:

Promoting the interactions between the engineers;

Advancing the application of engineering techniques from the academics to the industry;

Facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among the engineers and scientists freely.

Quick IAENG Facts:

The IAENG has (updated on June 8, 2007):

More than 200 IAENG editorial board members (EL, IJCS, IJAM)
    More than 700 IAENG congress co-chairs and committee members (IMECS, WCE, WCECS)
    16 IAENG Societies
    43 IAENG conferences and workshops

IAENG Tasks

IAENG publishes scholarly peer-reviewed research journal. The journal can be available online with full-text content freely.

IAENG organizes conferences to provide venues for the exchange of information and ideas among the engineers and scientists.

IAENG encourages and supports the formation of various IAENG societies, covering the different engineering subjects and geographical locations.

IAENG Memberhsip

IAENG welcome all the engineering professionals to join us. There will be no membership fee in according with our objective to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas freely. There are three types of memberships: IAENG Member, IAENG Senior Member and IAENG Fellow. Join IAENG now!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:25 AM
  • IAENG Membership

IAENG welcome all the engineering professionals to join us. There will be no membership fee in according with our objective to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas freely. 

There are three types of memberships: IAENG Member, IAENG Senior Member and IAENG Fellow.

IAENG Members

Engineers, university students and postgraduate researchers can join IAENG as IAENG Members (Member, IAENG). IAENG Members can receive IAENG News and view all the IAENG journal and conference publications freely.

Experienced engineers at the managerial level, professors and lecturers, and research scientists are welcome to join IAENG as IAENG Members first. Then, from time to time, our IAENG Societies co-chairs and the IAENG editorial board members make recommendation for inviting our qualified IAENG Members to become the IAENG Senior Members.

IAENG Senior Members

The grade of IAENG Senior Member (Senior Member, IAENG) is conferred by invitation of the IAENG Societies and the IAENG editorial board. For transferring to the grade of IAENG Senior Member, it requires solid experience reflecting the maturity in the engineering domain. Usually, our IAENG Senior Members are engineers at the managerial level, professors and lecturers, and research scientists. Besides the benefits of the regular members, IAENG Senior Members are invited to join the committees of IAENG Societies or the IAENG editorial board as board members or reviewers of the IAENG journals.

IAENG Fellow Members

The grade of IAENG Fellow (Fellow, IAENG) is conferred on engineers and scientists of distinction and outstanding qualifications, and who has made extraordinary contributions in the engineering field. Our IAENG Societies and the IAENG editorial board make the invitation for the IAENG Fellow.

Online Membership Application
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:41 AM
  • International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2008 (IMECS 2008)

The International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2008 will take place in Hong Kong, 19-21 March, 2008.

The IMECS 2008 is organized by the International Association of Engineers (IAENG), a non-profit international association for the engineers and the computer scientists. The conference has the focus on the frontier topics in the theoretical and applied engineering and computer science subjects. The IMECS conferences serve as good platforms for our members and the entire engineering community to meet with each other and to exchange ideas. Our IMECS committees have been formed with over two hundred and fifty conference committees members who are mainly research center heads, faculty deans, department heads, professors, and research scientists from over 30 countries. The last IMECS 2007 has attracted more than one thousand and one hundred participants from over 50 countries.

All submitted papers will be under peer review and accepted papers will be published in the conference proceeding (ISBN: 978-988-98671-8-8). The abstracts will be indexed and available at major academic databases. The accepted papers will also be considered for publication in the special issues of the journal Engineering Letters, in IAENG journals and in edited books.

"Dr. Jason Ward, Editor, Engineering, 
    Springer US, has invited us for the cooperation with Springer for
    publishing standalone books for the best papers from each of our IAENG
    meetings. Also, Dr. Mark de Jongh, Senior Publishing Editor, Springer SBM NL,
    will give a presentation about book publishing with Springer. Dr. Mark
    de Jongh will also be available during the conference period to talk to
    potential authors whom may have a new book idea/proposal.

We are happy that the cooperation with Springer is satisfactory. In our
    recent IAENG conference IMECS 2007, we are now preparing our three post
    conference edited books with Springer, and, Springer will publish these
    three books of tentative titles Recent Advances in Communication
    Systems and Electrical Engineering, Current Trends in Intelligent Systems and
    Computer Engineering, and Recent Advances in Industrial Engineering and
    Operations Research in its lecture note series. It has been planning
    that there will also be the post conference edited book for the WCE 2007
    selected papers."

More information for the IMECS 2007 is available at the conference website:

http://www.iaeng.org/IMECS2008/index.html

The IMECS 2008 is composed of the following 13 conferences (all will be held at the same location and date):

ICAIA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications

ICB'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Bioinformatics

ICCA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Control and Automation

ICCS'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Computer Science

ICCSA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Communication Systems and Applications

ICDMA'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Data Mining and Applications

ICEE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Electrical Engineering

ICIE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Imaging Engineering

ICINDE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Industrial Engineering

ICICWS'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Internet Computing and Web Services

ICOR'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Operations Research

ICSC'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Scientific Computing

ICSE'08

The 2008 IAENG International Conference on Software Engineering

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:46 AM
  • Thanks Arijit, you are unstoppable. You really rock, a true rockstar in my sense.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 4:22 AM
  • How many of you heard about IIIT(International Institute of Information Technology)...its having branches in Hyderabad, Pune and one more in Delhi(not sure.) they had taken this project and most probably by march 2008 they will launch a network named "RAINBOW". the theme behind this is to share the knowledge among universities, colleges..

Also India launched a satellite named "EduSat"...Karanataka is the only state using it for connecting various engineering colleges in the state. what about  the Rest of India? if no one uses it ,whats the use of launching it then??

certainly the effect of politicians and rulers are a bit more in India. if once the education minister is illetrate, do you think he do justice for that post?? Its the thing happenning  in India.

Guys, the points i raised are purely of my interest and i don't want to take them personal in everywhere. 

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:26 AM
  • @Chaitanya, nothing taken personally, in fact the points you have provided are quite insightful.

I completely agree with you that we have started on the path to enriching our education system, but the issue that I have raised, is that, the speed is not enough, if we want to have a firm footage in the global arena.

Yes, I accept that there is no other selection criteria of ministers other than the vote that they get (which get easily rigged too). However, they all are still answerable to us, and if we have raised a valid point, in a valid manner, through a valid media and have a reasonable number of people supporting us, we just cannot be ignored. Hence, it is upto us students to make our friends aware of the dire need of R&D activities and influence atleast a few to stand up and take initiative.

Also thank you for the knowledge you shared with us (it was quite helpful) and please continue to share more things with us all.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:36 AM
  • thanks 4 the link
    Friday, June 15, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Wow Gr8 reply arjit. you really raised a great point. certainly i will get you more stuff and its time that we should make or bring a difference. !!
    Friday, June 15, 2007 6:41 AM
  • There is one more organization that taking it roots in India.

check out more at www.pmi.org . u can find more details in their website. also check the local websites for india. they are having membership options , support for universities, for research activities..

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:48 AM
  • About the Institution

Who we are

The Institution of Engineering and Technology was formed by the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) and the Institution of Incorporated Engineers (IIE) and now has more than 150,000 members worldwide. It is the largest professional engineering society in Europe and the second largest of its type in the world.

It has offices in London, Beijing, Hong Kong, New Jersey and Bangalore.

The history of the Institution can be traced back to 1871 and information about this can be found in the Library and Archives.

What we do

• represent the profession of electrical, electronic, manufacturing and systems engineering and related sciences.
    • act as the voice of the profession in matters of public concern and assist Government to make the public aware of technological issues.
    • set standards of qualifications for professional electrical, electronics, software, systems and manufacturing engineers.
    • accredit degree courses in subjects relevant to electrical, electronic, manufacturing and information engineering at universities and colleges around the world.
    • accredit professional development schemes for engineering graduates.
    • awards scholarships, grants and prizes.
    • issue regulations for the safe installation of electrical and electronic equipment and takes a leading part in the formulation of national and international standards.
    • provide an extensive range of lectures, meetings, conferences, seminars, residential vacation schools and publications.
    • set standards for the professional conduct of its members.
    • offer guidance on best practice in professional development, and provide details of potential professional development activities
    • operate a computer-assisted information service, Inspec, which has the world's largest computerised database in the English language in physics, electrotechnology, computer science and control engineering
    • provide business and technical information on electrical, electronic, IT and manufacturing subjects

Web Development Programme

As you may be aware, the Institution is currently in the process of a major web development programme. We want to keep you informed of its progress and any important developments. You will be able to find regular updates and relevant supporting material on our Web Development Programme page.

About the Institution

The IET has archived research papers of the top most scientists in this world like, Michael Faraday, Marie Curie, Einstein, RutherFord, Goddard etc to name a few.

What category of membership am I?

You can use this section of the website to find out which category of membership you may be able to apply for.

Please select the description below that most applies to you:

Alternatively, you can view all of the categories of membership.

The main requirement to become a member, in any category, is that you must agree to comply with the Institution Royal Charter and Byelaws and Rules of Professional Conduct. By agreeing to these you are providing assurance of your professionalism and your ethical and moral conduct to your clients, colleagues or employers. 

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:12 AM
  • @Chaitanya, really nice link m8. I have just downloaded the application form and am going through it. Please keep posting such gr8 links.

What I am trying to do over here is, through these valuable discussion of ours, make everybody aware that we students have started thinking not only about enriching ourselves, but the whole nation as well through our thoughts and actions. Also, by sharing the experience, that I have gained, while trying to get my papers published in the international journals, and making a pedestal for others to do the same, create a knowledge base, that can be accessed by those who want to perform R&D but are in the search of organisations that can support them.

Thank you again for understanding the spirit of the thread and sharing your valuable information and resources with us.

Samvaad Rocks and we are the Rockstars !!!
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:21 AM
  • Thanks a lot.

Well, now that we are not able to login into the student rockstar site, I guess it would be safe to finally state that the wonderful journey of MICROSOFT STUDENT ROCKSTAR CONTEST 2007 has come to an end. It was really fun

while it had lasted and we learnt  and partied  at the same time.

So kudos to CYBAGE & MICROSOFT   and thanks for this wonderful opportunity!!

Wishing all the coming participants of next year all the best and goodbye  , since I shall not be able to compete next year , as I shall not remain a student any more .

Promising to keep posting in this forum, if allowed

P.S: Please keep this forum running.

Friday, June 15, 2007 1:16 PM
  • Yes man even i shall not be able to participate in this contest next year. But we will still keep in touch through the forums.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Industry-Academia Partnership

Education has continued to evolve, expand and widen its reach and coverage since the dawn of human history. Every country develops its system of education to express and promote its unique socio-cultural identity and also to meet the challenge of the times. There are moments in history when a new direction has to be given to the age-old processes. That moment has come now. The challenges we are facing today are concerned with making the educational system more need based and effective, more dynamic and responsive to the changes taking place in the industrial world. The country has reached a stage in its economic and technical development when a major effort must be made to derive maximum benefit from the assets already created and to ensure that the fruits of development reach all sections. This has become more vital as the Industry is facing global competition under new policy of liberalization and privatization. The interaction between industry/employer and Academic Institutions is increasingly recognized as the basis for the development of market responsive, demand driven institutional programmes aims at providing a competitive edge to industry.

The healthy future of our industry requires greater interaction with technical/professional institutions at all levels.

Current Scenario
    In the 59 years of Independence, a large number of universities and institutions of higher learning have been established and similarly, a number of industrial establishments have been set up in the form of private, public and multinational companies (MNCs).

Industries have always been stating that fresh graduates who join them require six months to 2 years as gestation period to show their contribution and, many a time, they leave the organisation before they start showing results. They say that this is due to the gap between theory and practice. The university/institution's curricula are often outdated and the component of practice is minimum. The universities, on the other hand, feel that industries are not contributing in the academic entities. Research and Development (R&D) institutions like CSIR labs, Indian Council for Agricultural Research etc. have remained as ivory towers of research in product development design, transfer of technology and other areas. Neither the academic institutions have benefited nor the industries have access to these researches.

Similarly, there are National institutions like IISc, IlTs, NITs, lIMs etc., which have produced excellent manpower. However, most of the students choose to serve developed countries. The interaction of these institutions with industries is limited to consultation work, that too, at a minimum level and interaction with the universities is even less.

Research and Development is key to economic growth. Government has instituted funding institutions like Department of Science and Technology (DST), Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), DOE, DBT etc. to support R & D projects of universities and institutions of higher learning. Apart from this, there are financial institutions like IDBI, IFCI, SIDBI, NSIC, etc. who provide financial assistance for technology development, transfer of technology etc. Obviously, universities, academic institutes of higher learning, Industries' R&D institutions and funding agencies have been growing parallel with a common goal, complementing each other, but only to a minimum extent.

Recent surveys have also shown the big gap between industry expectations and B - school delivery. Many in Industry feel that B-school products are too raw and lack the soft skills needed in current business environment. In fact many recruiters interviewed admit that they go to IIMs because they are assured of quality of intake more than the value-addition to the existing skills and knowledge of the students. The premier institutes need to focus more on research in pedagogy, curriculum and industry interaction.

Department of Biotechnology (DBTs) national strategy draft raises concern about the inconsistent quality of students entering the workforce. The DBT suggests a comprehensive review and improvement of curricula in consultation with the industry and government-funded research institutes. A CII survey points out that 54 percent of the firms covered feel that there is lack of trained professionals in the market and 31 per cent feel that the supply is not able to match demand both in terms of skills and numbers. This study demonstrated the gap between what the industry needed and what institutions of higher learning were producing.

Synergy and Partnership
    Looking at the whole scenario, there is a need for interaction between universities, academic institutions of higher learning, industry, R&D institutions and funding agencies. This could be achieved by a synergy process wherein they will be partners in various activities, complementing each other in reaching their visions, objectives and goals. Generally, this is perceived as an activity for interaction but there is need to re-look in order to develop such a process wherein there will be more than interaction. This could be achieved by PARTNERSHIP. A few of the interventions are as follows:

a. Develop a data-base of facilities available in the university/Institutions of higher learning, industry and R&D institutions.
    b. Involvement of industry in the curriculum development and also implementation of the curriculum. (The main grouse of Indian industry, the real sufferer of the shortage of quality manpower, is that the curricula are just not geared to meeting its new and changing requirements)
    c. Faculty exchange and participation in industry and vice-versa in university and specialised institutions.
    d. Participation of executives who have Ph.D., involve them in research and development both in industry as well as universities.
    e. The industry should utilize the human resource and infrastructure available in the universities for problem solving, testing, certification etc.
    f. Conducting advanced programmes in technical, management and other need-based areas, tackling contemporary issues of mutually beneficial nature.
    g. Setting up a business development cell on partnership.
    h. Promote entrepreneurship in education system.

"There are many lessons to be learnt from the developed countries. For instance, it is quite common for leading US research laboratories to optimize productivity in R & D by linking up with the industry. Such partnerships have yielded sustained innovations and the industry has benefited from academic research. According to US Patent and Trademark Office estimate, about 40 percent of the industrial patents in the US universities are attributed to private-funded research. Obviously, India Inc, can't stay complacent". (HT, Sep 19, 2005).

The universities need to rise to the occasion but the India Inc. should come forward to bridge the need gap just as their counterparts do in the developed countries. For justifiable reasons, many universities and lower run engineering colleges blame the poor quality of education on the lack of equipment, quality labs and trained faculties. It is estimated that barring IITs, NITs and some other renowned institutions, the task of enhancing quality of education and purchase of equipment would require over Rs 50,000 per student every 5 years and as much for faculty improvement, according to an IIT Kanpur study.

Another Rs 15-17 crore would be required for increasing the number of engineering graduated by about 500 every year. The resource requirement is indeed modest for Indian's Rs 100,000 crore-and growing -IT industry. Clearly, the Industry needs to pitch for its own good.

Most of the innovations originate from the minds of the scholars when backed by the industry professionals. The Toyota production System (TPS) stands in evidence for the Industry-academic network. The networking with related industrial establishments could lead to a mutual give-and-take processes. The Ford - MIT Alliance is a model for productive exchange - the automaker benefits from research insights, and the MIT faculty and students plung directly into auto industry realities. Working on the project faculty and students have access to resources beyond any university's scope such as, propriety information, company personnel, and facilities ranging from wind tunnels to test tracks. The exchange of information between the institutions and industries help broaden the academic insight and establish an ideal relationship between the two.

Some of the important initiatives may be :

· Curriculum and Training (Academic institutions of higher learning should make use of the experiences and narrow the gap between theory and practice. )
    · Advanced Technical and Management Development Programmes (Universities and academic institutions could conduct short-term courses for individuals in the industry on contemporary issues)
    · Industrial Visits (The University must collaborate with the industries and arrange for frequent scheduled visits of students and staff so that they will be able to link themselves with curriculum and the best practices in industry)
    · Human Resource Development (Institution-Industry participation can systematically plan to meet the human resource requirement)
    · Research and Development. (The industry and institution must promote identification of research areas of mutual interest and undertake R&D activities)
    · Consultancy (Faculty to be encouraged to undertake consultancy with identified need-based industries and share experience with other colleagues and students).
    · Calibration, Testing, Characterization and Service (The academic institutions have some facilities for calibration, testing, characterization and service and these need to be strengthened)
    · Entrepreneurship Development (The academic institutions have a mandate to help students to become self- sufficient. This could be achieved either by placing them in a job or by helping them in new enterprise creation)
    · Business Development Cell (Institutions must set up such Cell, with a focus to market their programmes, activities and services to industry, research institutions and funding institutions.

Hence Industry-Academia has to be a joint venture between educators and employers to raise the aspirations and achievements of individual learners, to allow them to maximize their potential and to enable them to become part of a skilled and adaptable work force. Its distinctive feature needs a commitment of the partners to work together to improve education and employment opportunities. Higher education should serve as a powerful tool for development. Universities and institutions are centres for human resource development. The industry, R&D labs., who absorb the human resources developed in the Universities and Institutions should become partners with the centres of higher learning. In this way, need-based practical human resources could be developed. Partnership will give an opportunity for industry and R&D institutions to contribute in developing the centres of higher learning. Thus, there is need for evolving a synergy between centres of higher education, industry, R&D institutions and funding agencies in the form of partnership, which will act as a powerful tool in economic growth and overall development of the country. The Industry interface, the buzzword in many academic institutions of contemporary times, needs to be achieved in true spirit.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:38 AM
  • Need to inculcate the culture of intellectual property protection in research and development
    Dipak B. Shukla

The burgeoning and the rapidly disseminating shibboleth intellectual property rights (IPRs) normally relate to intangible property having intellectual matters in its background. Intellectual property (IP) is the outcome of creative brain and intellect. IPRs are facsimile to movable and immovable properties and are characterized by specific rights as well as limitations. The separate and distinct types of intangible property, viz. patents, trademarks, copyrights, designs, know-how, trade secrets, etc. are collectively alluded as IP.
    IPRs are and will be a quintessential component of an innovative knowledge generated and acquired through research and development (R&D) efforts and thereafter protected by an individual, a team, an organization and a nation as a whole. In the present global scenario innovation – which is a process of continuous improvement or a new process – has become imperative for self-sustenance, economic growth and competitive business advantages. It is through R&D that an individual is capable of bringing forth new and innovative ideas. Interfacing IP with R&D will pave the way to productive knowledge protection, enrichment of innovative ideas, creation of well-articulated human resources and also nurturing of an innovation culture.

To read more, check this link:

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/may252005/1553.pdf
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:41 AM
  • Mission

NAASCon is an organization created by and for students of Asian American descent. NAASCon aims to serve as a forum for AA student activists from across the country to compile resources, coordinate campaigns, and build community around shared values of social and economic justice, human rights, and collective decision-making.  

History

Since 2001, NAASCon has been an active Asian American student political organization with the mission of educating, fostering dialogue, and mobilizing students through proactive campaigns across the country on issues of importance facing the Asian American community.  NAASCon has been at the forefront of major Asian American student campaigns including boycotting Abercrombie and Fitch to gaining support for the HR 333 bill that would provide federal funding for institutions of higher education with Asian American populations of 10% or greater.  NAASCon also joined activist groups like GAPMINY and Asian Media Watchdog at the protest against Details Magazine. 

Most recently, NAASCon joined Asian Media Watch in a campaign against the Jersey Guys who made racially inflammatory remarks toward Asians and Asian Americans on a local radio station.  In 2005 NAASCon began the development of our Asian American resource guide for Asian American students including sections on film, music, literature, and speakers.  NAASCon has also launched a resource-building campaign for Asian American Studies—compiling the history, resources, and campaign initiatives from students working for Asian American Studies programs and/or resource centers. 

Organization

The NAASCon National Board is comprised of Asian American student leaders, activists, and organizers from all over the nation. Although these individuals are deeply involved at their respective universities and local communities, they meet and come together regularly on a national level to work on various aspects of NAASCon, such as:

• Researching issues pertaining to the AA community
    • Coordinating issue campaigns
    • Developing and providing useful tools for AA student leaders
    • Strengthening communication and fostering dialogue between API student leaders and API organizations on a national scale. 

In addition to the local and community organizing, NAASCon also coordinates a biennial National conference.  Despite the name of the organization, the NAASCon National Board does not work on the conference as an end, but as a means to carry out the goals of the organization. The work involved with NAASCon is not limited to the conference, but also encompasses work that requires student organizing and community building both locally and nationally. 

Others affiliates of NAASCon include the NAASCon conference committee, who helps the National Board organize its biennial national conference, and the NAASCon advisory board, composed of various alumni members and provides guidance and resources to the National Board.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:59 AM
  • Working in Germany! Looking for a challenge abroad?

Germany needs engineers and IT specialists

sign in for free at:

http://www.workingingermany.de

We will support you all the way to your prfessional aim, without any costs!
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Submit Ideas
    • For individuals & companies
    • To get help with funding, manufacturing or commercialization
    • Ideas from the web of existing great ideas
    Search Ideas
    • By Category or Company
    • By Rating or Needs
    • News clips
    Rate Ideas
    • Rank ideas 1-5
    • Discuss ideas
    • Contact authors

http://ideasxchange.com/
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:55 AM
  •  

The Idea Exchange Meeting Place
    Submit, share, rate and exchange ideas online with other members.
    A lot of people have ideas but keep them locked away. It is time to
    open the vault! Here you can get feedback on your ideas from other future entrepreneurs and establish networking opportunities to take your idea to the next level.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:13 AM

• thx for sharing....
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:08 AM
  • For more details please go through my blog at:

http://indianstudentresearch.blogspot.com/

Feel free to contribute or post your valuable comments
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:55 AM
  • @Arijit_Chatterjee

Thanx
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:06 AM