Email via Mail Merge assign to a different user/Queue RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use CRM to send an Email which contains images. However sending directly using email does not work because it is not in HTML. If i copy from HTML the image does not appear in the emails i send. Very annoying........    

So i can only send my fancy emails using Mail Merge. However when I use the mail merge feature i cannot assign the emails to a another user or queue and have to use my default email. This is not acceptable at all. Is there a work around to this or is CRM just CRAP.

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I had an Ahaaa moment.

When you use Mail Merge in CRM, CRM is not used to send the email. All CRM does is create an activity against the mail merge.

Microsoft word is the application that handles the Mail Merge email and uses outlook to send the email and it will use the default account in outlook to send the email. This means that to send the mail merge email via another email address, then you have to set that email address as the default address on outlook. 

In my case i went to

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Mail (32 bit) and added a new profile. 

when outlook is started i choose the profile i want to use, and then i can use mail merge to send my fancy emails. the only problem with the solution is that CRM does not modifiy the owner or the "TO" email address of the activities created .  A workflow should be able to fix this issue.

• Marked as answer by Keliud Friday, August 19, 2011 12:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Keliud Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keliud Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:02 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi, If you are not seeing images in pasted email. One way to get around is to copy your images to a web site and place their URLs in HTML. Your users should be able to view images in html. I hope it helps.
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful" Thanks, Imran Abbasi
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:47 AM
  • I have seen this solution on Google etc but personally i think this is not a user friendly solution.  The CRM users we have are not IT people and it would be complicating a simple task of sending emails if they have to contact IT to setup the HTML email. I am fine to use Mail Merge but why cant i assign the task to a different user or queue to send the email? 
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Are you sending E-mails via Campaigns  (Distributing Email Activities via Mail Merge)? , if then you can assign Campaigns to the user queues with required description.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Sorry ... assigning a campaign to a different user/queue does not work. it still sends emails via the logged on user. Surely Microsoft should have a way to do this? i am working with Microsoft products!.

If i use a Quick campaign i get a field to select the activity owner. this works on normal email but becomes disabled when i use email via mail merge or any other mail merge activity 

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

You can enable the Queue functionality for Campaign, in CRM go to Settings->Cusomization->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities->Campaign, in entity General properties Tab, check the option Queues+ , save entity properties and Publish customizations.

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:57 AM
  • I have no idea what you mean by " CRM go to Settings->Cusomization->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities->Campaign"  i am using CRM 4.0 
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

I thought you are using CRM 2011, in CRM 4.0 you can only add Case and Activities records to the Queue. In this case what you can do is:

1. Add new checkbox field in Campaign Eneity i.e. MailMerge Campaign etc

2. Create new Workflow that will trigger on Compaign record creation

3. It will check if MailMerge Campaign value == True then Create New Task for Mail Merge Campaign Completion and assign it to Mail Merge Campaign Queue

4. So now users can see the task (regarding Campaign, can open task and click on regarding Campaign to open it) in queue, after finishing Mail Merge, users can mark the task as completed

Jehanzeb Javeed

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:33 AM
  • This does not solve my problem

This is the screen you get when you send an Email or Letter via mail merge.

The highlighted sections are disabled. So you can only send this email as the logged on user. 

This is CRM 4.0

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

If you are doing mail merge via Quick Camapign then i am afraid there is no stadard supported functionality available to keep track of this as Quick Campaign forms in Dynamics CRM 4.0 is not cusotmizable.

I believe this answers your quesiton.

Jehanzeb Javeed

• Marked as answer by Keliud Friday, August 12, 2011 12:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Keliud Friday, August 12, 2011 12:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Keliud Friday, August 12, 2011 12:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Keliud Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:43 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

I had an Ahaaa moment.

When you use Mail Merge in CRM, CRM is not used to send the email. All CRM does is create an activity against the mail merge.

Microsoft word is the application that handles the Mail Merge email and uses outlook to send the email and it will use the default account in outlook to send the email. This means that to send the mail merge email via another email address, then you have to set that email address as the default address on outlook. 

In my case i went to

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Mail (32 bit) and added a new profile. 

when outlook is started i choose the profile i want to use, and then i can use mail merge to send my fancy emails. the only problem with the solution is that CRM does not modifiy the owner or the "TO" email address of the activities created .  A workflow should be able to fix this issue.

• Marked as answer by Keliud Friday, August 19, 2011 12:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Keliud Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keliud Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:02 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:25 AM