none
Where is the rich text box and code editor? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi: I just tried doing a post and I was presented with a plain textbox instead of the handy little editor I'm used to. There was no toolbar or any other features, just a plain submit button and a checkbox for whether the reply has code. I formatted my code the old fashioned way but when it was posted, everything was squished as carriage returns and blank lines seemed to be completely ignored. Everything was working nicely before the changeover last week - is there something I'm doing wrong or have you removed the previous rich text box? (Of course, both of those could be true.) Ed McElroy
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:07 PM

All replies

• We're using TinyMCE now, but it sounds like it failed to load for you. TinyMCE just attaches to a TextArea, so that's why you saw the text box. What browser/platform are you using?
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:19 PM
  • This will happen when you right-click, say, the Reply button to open it in another tab.  You'll get a featureless post editor, no toolbar.  Apparently meant for mobile devices, not sure. 

What you have to do is scroll back all the way to the beginning of the thread and right-click the thread heading.  The devs were expecting you to use the in-line editor, the one you'll get when you hit the Reply button.  Tuff when you're a mod.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. I'm typing into the plain text box with blank lines separating each paragraph but when I hit the Enter key, they will all be compressed together with no line breaks. I'm currently running IE7 and MSDN is a trusted site; the OS is XP Pro SP3. When I left-click on the reply button, the plain text area initially appears at the bottom of the page and then it is redisplayed as the only item on the page. The page URL is: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/81975660-5573-4378-b5e6-7038c2649b15/0b67f797-fc50-455d-bb57-d9ec0e8f7c7e/reply I right-clicked on the subject line but got only the usual context menu items so I'm not sure how to proceed using that approach. Does the new editor require some specific setting in IE security? Interestingly, I just re-edited this reply to specify XP Pro and I still got the plain text box but the line breaks were there. Ed McElroy
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:12 AM
  • I would like to second the complaints by E. McElroy -

(1) Since the latest retrograde, my entering of posts loses all formatting.
    Newlines are ignored and all lines are concatenated. Entered C/C++ code is
    therefore "obfuscated".

(2) There are *no* formatting menus or buttons of any sort.
    (Only a "Has Code" checkbox at the bottom.)

(3) There is no longer any checkbox to request alerts, and I am no longer
    getting email alerts.

(4) The editor initially opens below the thread but then immediately
    expands to be the only window on the page.

(5) Trying to edit my posts throws me into HTML.

(6) There is only a Submit button, no Cancel.

I am using IE 6.0 with all downloadable fixes applied. Running XP SP2 and
    using a dial-up network.

- Wayne

Footnote: Prior to the last change, I had posted more than 1000 messages to
    these Forums using IE 6 with no problems. I can currently use Firefox 3.0.4
    to post messages with proper formatting and alerts. It has the expected
    formatting buttons and checkboxes, and was used to post this message.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Thanks for the support Wayne - I was feeling out on a limb for a while!

I'm having some modest success creating a reply by participating in the following rain dance:

1. On a topic list page (not a detailed, individual topic page), right click on the topic subject line and choose Open in New Window.
    2. Wait until the topic page is completely displayed in the window.
    3. Left click on the Reply link as usual.

That frequently, but not always, results in the new text editor being displayed complete with toolbar. The toolbar button for the new code editor seems to work. I haven't yet come up with a procedure for getting the text editor to display when creating a new topic - perhaps a Tarot card reader might have some tips....

If this problem doesn't get fixed soon I'll load down IE8 or FireFox. Based on your message, FireFox appears to be a definite solution to the problem.

Ed McElroy

Friday, April 3, 2009 10:43 PM
  • I just had a heck of a time adding code to my post.  I clicked on Submit and my VB code was reformatted in weird ways.  I had to edit the post several times trying to make it appear that I am not some kind of boob who doesn't know how to write simple lines of code. 
    R Evans
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:10 AM