my two key codes are no good all of a sudden? RRS feed

• Question

• My g/f laptop had a Prevx antivirus and was saying there was a trojan and some other trouble.  She installed Norton Internet Security 2009, the first scan reported some viruses, and required a restart to remove them. 

Upon restart, Windows will not allow login until Windows is activated.  Note: Windows and all programs were working fine before she installed Norton.

I typed the 25 digit code in from the sticker on the bottom: it comes up unauthorized.  It allows access to a browser window, so I searced threads for hours, even tried tech support for Norton.  Eventually, I downloaded a KeyFinder, and found a DIFFERENT 25 digit code in her OS.  I tried that one in the Verification process.  It came up unauthorized.

She says she had some problems with it a couple years ago and had Best Buy work on it (it's an HP), so I guess that's why the code inside the OS doesn't match the sticker code.  But one of them should validate, right???????

Is is possible that one of the viruses (hacktool, downloader, and something else) stole the key code(s) and somebody somewhere else used them?  I don't have to buy another version of XP, do I?  I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any of the recovery disks.

This sucks a lot.  My eyes are getting blurry from so much staring at the computer, and my teeth hurt from griding them.  haha.

I've read in this forum about changin the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files.......I'll try that when I get back home.....yeah, I headed to work after very little sleep.

Please share your advice with me.  Thanks a bunch!!

Adam
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:59 PM

Answers

• Adam,

After reading your MGA results I noticed the product used to install Windows XP was installed with a now blocked licensing key. Please search your favorite engine for YR86H-YFFFX-PW8M8 and look @ how many hits you receive. Dan has provide you with some great information as I noticed. Sorry to hear about your experiences. Has your girlfriend ever had this system serviced by anyone else besides what you mentioned? Maybe you can contact their corporate HQ and lodge a complaint. Also you may visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and submit a piracy claim. 

Take care Adam,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:29 PM

All replies

• Adam,

Please
    run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you.

Rick

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Rick, like this? 

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YR86H-YFFFX-PW8M8
    Windows Product Key Hash: LlqWjcHIEKCMXPpU/NdpXlj45to=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-005-0859956-21592
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {AE32C049-F498-4A1E-938A-03C0D68912AC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{AE32C049-F498-4A1E-938A-03C0D68912AC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-PW8M8</PKey><PID>55277-005-0859956-21592</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1644491937-920026266-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Pavilion ze2000 (EC201UA#ABA)  </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.13    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20051019000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>955F3207018400DC</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.5.540.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.5.540.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002E-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>AE739DAF8871F7A</Val><Hash>0ocP+mY/yhlKiMMeddNHZ7qoBb8=</Hash><Pid>81608-957-0346895-65039</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 9ED1:Compaq Computer Corporation|15120:Compaq Computer Corporation|15120:Compaq Computer Corporation|9ED1:Hewlett-Packard Company|15609:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I recognize the viewable part of the product key as the one that was identified by the Keyfinder program.  But they don't match the one on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.  That means somebody reinstalled a different version, right? 

Thanks for helping!!!

Adam

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Hello mrerikson,

Currently your gf's HP Pavilion ZE2000 computer has an unactivated Retail license for Windows XP Home Edition installed, along with a Genuine installation of Office 2007 Ultimate Edition.

As you experienced, the Product Key (PK) on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker was not accepted for Activation (and should not have been accepted for installation, either) because the PK on the CoA is for an OEM License from HP, but the actual edition of XP Home installed on the computer is a retail license, and those PKs are not interchangeable.

It's possible that the Best Buy techs used a retail CD for XP Home to repair the computer.  This is the fast and "easy" way out for techs who are tasked with fixing a computer where the owner has never backed up their data.  The techs use either a downloaded pirated copy of XP or a retail copy of XP CD because they can repair the installation without losing data or installed programs.  In contrast, the HP Recovery Discs typically destroy all user data.

IMO your best option is to contact HP to obtain a set of Recovery Discs for this exact model of HP computer.  To do so, visit this page at hp.com http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1127346 and scroll down to the section "CD-ROM order page - Recovery Discs" and fill out the order form.

Another option for acquiring Recovery Discs is to visit www.restoredisks.com.

Before running the Recovery Discs, be sure to back up any data that she can't afford to lose, because typically the recovery process destroys all user data.  Slaving the laptop's hard disk to another computer with an external enclosure is one way to access the data.  Another is to boot with a CD based operating system (search for BartPE or UBCD) that can read the contents of the disk and copy it to an external disk or flash drive.

Good Luck and post back to tell us how you make out!

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hello Mrerickson,

Thank you for posting in our WGA Forums. First please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool which Rick had previously asked. This will allow us to see what you are experiencing so we may begin to formulate a resolution for the problem which your experiencing. Also anytime you experience a virus it is always a good idea to reformate your computer start fresh. I do understand this is a lot of work but you will be provided with a piece of mind. Also please call our PC Safety line at 1-866-PCSAFETY or 1 (866) 727-2338.  This phone number is for virus and other security-related support free of charge. It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada.

Please let us know who is the manufacturer of your g/f laptop

Did she purchase brand new?

Was the laptop purchased second hand from an individual, online auction, offline auction or other means?

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker located on the bottom of the laptop. Next please compare it against other COAs against what you view @ http://www.howtotell.com

Did she receive the recovery media software discs at the time of purchase?

If the computer did not come with recovery media were there instructions for making recovery media and if so were the discs made?

Has she ever turned in the computer to a local shop for repairs?

Has anyone ever came out to perform repairs on the system?

Please provide us with answers to the above questions in conjunction with the MGA Diagnostic Results and we will begin to analyze your situation.

Thank you and take care,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Adam,

After reading your MGA results I noticed the product used to install Windows XP was installed with a now blocked licensing key. Please search your favorite engine for YR86H-YFFFX-PW8M8 and look @ how many hits you receive. Dan has provide you with some great information as I noticed. Sorry to hear about your experiences. Has your girlfriend ever had this system serviced by anyone else besides what you mentioned? Maybe you can contact their corporate HQ and lodge a complaint. Also you may visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and submit a piracy claim. 

Take care Adam,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:29 PM