shared folders - FAILING!!!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• all of my shared folders are reporting as FAILING!  and yet under the SERVER STORAGE screen all of my drives are showing as HEALTHY.

Is there any further information I can get about the status of the shares?

This seems like contradictory information.

Thanks in advance.
    Richard.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:18 AM

Answers

• Do you have folder duplication turned on for your shared folders?  I believe its turned on by default (not a bad thing, but the Devs should put users thru a wizard and explain the good & bad effects of duplication across drives). 

I'm running a 160GB drive and an 80GB in my test server.  Folder duplication was on by default.  When I was copying over my 30GB of music, I got the failing message as well.  I turned off duplication on the music folder, leaving it active on the photos folder.  After that, no more failing message.

To turn off duplication, open the console, goto shared folders, right click on your largest shared folder, choose properties, then tunr duplication off.  Close and reopen the console to see if the message has gone away.  If it hasn't, keep up the same process with each shared folder (in decreasing order by size).

Hope that helps.

RL

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:29 AM

All replies

• I don't know how useful the info will be, but the main repository for information inside WHS (other than the logfiles themselves) would be the Computer Management console, arrived at by:

Start...Run.... compmgmt.msc

From there, you can see

Event Viewer - WHS logs
    Event Viewer - System logs
    Event Viewer - App logs
    Shared Folders - Shares
    Disk Management --- Note on this one - though there are lots of options to "do" stuff from this tab, it should only be used as a "read-only" screen, as doing any actions from here could actually make problems worse.

Logs on the server are located at:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

These logs probably won't be all that helpful, but you asked the question, and that's my best answer.

Good luck.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:24 AM
  • Do you have folder duplication turned on for your shared folders?  I believe its turned on by default (not a bad thing, but the Devs should put users thru a wizard and explain the good & bad effects of duplication across drives). 

I'm running a 160GB drive and an 80GB in my test server.  Folder duplication was on by default.  When I was copying over my 30GB of music, I got the failing message as well.  I turned off duplication on the music folder, leaving it active on the photos folder.  After that, no more failing message.

To turn off duplication, open the console, goto shared folders, right click on your largest shared folder, choose properties, then tunr duplication off.  Close and reopen the console to see if the message has gone away.  If it hasn't, keep up the same process with each shared folder (in decreasing order by size).

Hope that helps.

RL

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:29 AM
  • I think I may have stumbled upon the problem.  When I started moving data to the shares I did it directly to the folders on the D drive rather than on the share.  Now, I seem to have 40gb available when I look at the storage under the NETWORK STORAGE page, but I get a "less than 5mb" available error when I look at the shares.

I've read that a few other people have had this same problem.  So, I'm in the midst of moving all of my data back out of the share and then back into the share.

One good note is that as soon as I moved some of the data out, the FAILING message went away.

Here are the two lessons learned:

1) Data must be moved into the shares and not into the folders directly from the drive path.
    2) if you violate #1, there is an error is reported network storage space compared to share space.
    3) The error messages on the console aren't very useful!
        (oops, I lost count on my way to 2!).

I'll report back after I finish moving all of my data.  I've got about 800gb, so its going to take a while.

Richard.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:02 PM
  • I think I may have stumbled upon the problem.  When I started moving data to the shares I did it directly to the folders on the D drive rather than on the share.  Now, I seem to have 40gb available when I look at the storage under the NETWORK STORAGE page, but I get a "less than 5mb" available error when I look at the shares.

I've read that a few other people have had this same problem.  So, I'm in the midst of moving all of my data back out of the share and then back into the share.

One good note is that as soon as I moved some of the data out, the FAILING message went away.

Here are the two lessons learned:

1) Data must be moved into the shares and not into the folders directly from the drive path.
    2) if you violate #1, there is an error is reported network storage space compared to share space.
    3) The error messages on the console aren't very useful!
        (oops, I lost count on my way to 2!).

I'll report back after I finish moving all of my data.  I've got about 800gb, so its going to take a while.

Richard.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Possibly adding a except saying that you need to use the shared folders put on your desktop by the install rather than mapping the drives on the WHS iteslf would be a good idea. Otherwise while turning off duplication may solve your issue, you should check to see if there is a bug listed as WHS should normally run with duplication for everything turned on. The rationale being that you would want to ensure that in the case of drive failure your data survives.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:51 AM
  • I'm guessing my duplication was turned off because I only had one drive in the server when I did the install.  The additional drives were all added subsequently because they had data on them. 

1) install the first drive

2) add the 2nd drive to the server

3) copy data from the 2nd drive to the pool

4) add the 2nd drive to the pool

5) rinse & repeat.....

I'm also a huge user of keyboard shortcuts.  So, when I sit down to move files around I immediately hit WINDOWS-E to open up explorer.  This is where I think I screwed up. 

Richard.

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:42 PM