CRM 2011 on-premise: Synchronizing multiple organizations with Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Out of the box, it's not possble to sync with more than one org with Outlook. Does anyone know a workaround to reach that?

Kind regards and thanks

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:00 PM

Answers

• There's no feature to achieve this, so your options are:

1. Write a script to periodically reconfigure the CRM for Outlook client against each organization and synchronize.
    2. Use a server-based synchronization mechanism such as Riva Integration Server.

Bear in mind, that your users will get completely confused and not understand what's going on. For example, when you click 'Track in CRM' on an e-mail message the e-mail will get tracked in the currently synced org. That may or may not be what the user intended; same for contact, task and appointment tracking. When contacts sync from CRM you could get copies of the same contact coming from different org and it'll be very difficult to tell where they came from.

I would advise you against trying to implement this requirement.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:06 PM

All replies

• Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but you can add multiple organizations using the Configuration Wizard.

Check here for more info.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4142.crm-outlook-client-configure-multiple-organizations.aspx

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Thanks, but I know, but you can just sync with one and that's what I'd like to!
    Friday, September 13, 2013 2:12 PM
  • There's no feature to achieve this, so your options are:

1. Write a script to periodically reconfigure the CRM for Outlook client against each organization and synchronize.
    2. Use a server-based synchronization mechanism such as Riva Integration Server.

Bear in mind, that your users will get completely confused and not understand what's going on. For example, when you click 'Track in CRM' on an e-mail message the e-mail will get tracked in the currently synced org. That may or may not be what the user intended; same for contact, task and appointment tracking. When contacts sync from CRM you could get copies of the same contact coming from different org and it'll be very difficult to tell where they came from.

I would advise you against trying to implement this requirement.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hi Neil

Thanks for your info. I thought it, unfortunately...

Kind regards

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:09 AM