How to build a .msi RRS feed

• Question

• I have a C++/CLI application. To improve the application I wrote a DLL in C# and I try to add a Setup project to that. Everything works nice untill I try to istall the .msi on another computer. It doesn't work! I get the following msg: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem". And again, on the original computer it works nice. What can I do to fix the problem?
    • Moved by spacewrangler Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:45 AM Where is the forum for setup projects?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• You will need to install the redist before you run your MSIs. I am not an expert on deployment projects but there should be an option in the deployment project to include the redist if you added the deployement binary as a "Primary output" from one of the projects where the binary is being built.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Nadia.Ivanova Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• You need to include the proper VC redistributable for the application to work.  See http://blogs.msdn.com/dsvc/archive/2008/08/07/part-1-troubleshooting-vc-side-by-side-problems.aspx for more details.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:14 PM
  • What do you mean VC redistributable? I added the application (.exe) file and a couple of DLLs. Do I need something else? The other computer has .NET 3.5 installed.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:46 PM
  • From the link I mentioned earlier, see bullet number 3 (Make sure you have all the required VC++ SxS libraries correctly installed. The following table will help you understand which redistributable is required to install depending upon your application usage) Install the proper vc+ SxS and revert back with your findings.

Application built with Visual Studio 2008  version (9.0.21022.8)

vcredist_x86.exe

Runtime components for x86 platform

vcredist_IA64.exe

Runtime components for IA64 platform

vcredist_x64.exe

Runtime components for x64 platform

Application built with Visual Studio 2008  SP1 version (9.0.30729.1)

vcredist_x86.exe

Runtime components for x86 platform

vcredist_IA64.exe

Runtime components for IA64 platform

vcredist_x64.exe

Runtime components for x64 platform

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your prompt answer. Do you mean I have to download and run one of those redistributables before I run the .msi file? Or I have to include one of the redistributables into setup project. Could you please give me exact steps I should follow.

Thanks in advance,
    Nadia
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:58 PM
  • You will need to install the redist before you run your MSIs. I am not an expert on deployment projects but there should be an option in the deployment project to include the redist if you added the deployement binary as a "Primary output" from one of the projects where the binary is being built.

• Marked as answer by Nadia.Ivanova Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Thanks a lot for significant help!
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:13 PM