live mesh not automatically synching when I log on RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, When I log on to live mesh on my laptop the news feed shows the changes that I made on my home pc earlier and are on my live desktop but the local live  folder on my laptop does not automatically synch with these changes that have been made.. i.e the file in the folder is the older version of the file the last time I had my laptop on.

If I click on the earlier version held locally and open it without saving saving it thinks it has been updated and then the live folder tells me I have a conflict with a more recent version held on the other device and live desktop. I can then decide what version to keep.

Not ideal but at least I know the local file is not the most up to date. However I am concerned as I am about to start sharing files with a colleague and I would like the reassurance that once I boot up my laptop the files I will be start working on are the most recent versions that my collegue might have been working on earlier and not just the version I last time I worked on when on my laptop.

All devices have "when files are added or modified" slected for synching. My home pc has xp and my new laptop windows 7 home premium.

Any assitance would be appreciated.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:57 AM

Answers

• Obviously, this is undesired behavior.

Since the service is a beta and there are a number of issues being reported with the sync and remote services of late, I'd probably steer you away from using this for sharing files that are of a critical nature right now. You may want to look at the production/released Live Sync - http://sync.live.com for sharing via P2P only (both computers need to be online to sync) or share files via SkyDrive, which is not automatic, of course.

Live Mesh should sync automatically within minutes of an update unless the file is locked or in use. In that case, the file cannot sync. There have been other reports of the sync not happening and at least one other report similar to yours recently. Unfortunately, there is no way to force a sync.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:40 PM

All replies

• Obviously, this is undesired behavior.

Since the service is a beta and there are a number of issues being reported with the sync and remote services of late, I'd probably steer you away from using this for sharing files that are of a critical nature right now. You may want to look at the production/released Live Sync - http://sync.live.com for sharing via P2P only (both computers need to be online to sync) or share files via SkyDrive, which is not automatic, of course.

Live Mesh should sync automatically within minutes of an update unless the file is locked or in use. In that case, the file cannot sync. There have been other reports of the sync not happening and at least one other report similar to yours recently. Unfortunately, there is no way to force a sync.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:40 PM
  • mush obliged for the alternative suggestions Stephen
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:36 PM
  • You're most welcome. I'll add that we are expecting that Live Mesh and Live Sync will merge in the near future.

-steve

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:57 PM