none
IE11 Breaks MSDN Forums - Have to use Chrome

Question

• I don't seem to be able to expand the

Forums [View All]

section.

Basically I see all the topics like "Using Forums" but clicking them doesn't expand checkboxes (Select All, Announcements).

I also had a problem, after installing IE11, that Outlook 2013 would not download pictures no matter what.  I had to do a hard reset of IE11 (under Advanced) before it started working.

Derrick.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:09 AM

Answers

• Finally!  I noticed at one point during the debugger exercise it stopped on a "Permission Denied" exception.  On the off chance, I started IE with a right click a "Run As Administrator" and voila! everything works.

What gives with that?

if(typeof localStorage[a]!=="undefined")

causes it.

Also, adding *.Microsoft.com to trusted sites makes it work.
    • Marked as answer by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:34 PM
    • Edited by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:34 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 1:28 PM

All replies

• I've been using IE11 in TechNet and MSDN forums for about a month now without issue.

(may want to check that compatibility mode is off)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP, Moderator Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:54 PM edit:
    • Proposed as answer by Pan Zhang Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pan Zhang Friday, December 6, 2013 5:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:33 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Forums (MSDN and TN) work without exceptions with IE11 on Win 8.1 for a while.

Visual Studio Cloud Services
    Http://msdn.microsoft.com

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Well, it doesn't work for me either.  The forum topics won't expand.  compatibility mode on or off.

So I tried a few things....

First I turned script error notifications, enabled script debugging, etc, etc.  I refreshed the page and got

Line: 35
    Error: '$' is undefined

and so

<script type="text/javascript">
        $(document).ready(function () {
            prettyPrint();
        });
    </

one this line and about four other lines.

Then I was going to try and add the site to my trusted site list, but decided before I did to hit the site with https.  When it ask me to display only secure content, I got very crude markup.  The paragraph in question looked like

• <input class="selectallcheckbox" data-categoryname="usingforums" id="selectAll_08f86e0a-6b1a-4efd-9a99-42c750f4e359" type="checkbox" />
    • <input class="chkForumSelector" data-forumid="89a61008-0ec7-44d2-8e8e-f4298bd11382" data-forumname="announce" id="chkBxForum_08f86e0a-6b1a-4efd-9a99-42c750f4e359_89a61008-0ec7-44d2-8e8e-f4298bd11382" type="checkbox" />
      Announcements for all Forums

I also used F12 to set the document compatibility to, well, everything else, but it didn't matter.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:08 PM
  • First I turned script error notifications, enabled script debugging, etc, etc.

Turned on those things?  That could cause some symptoms.  Turn them all off and use the Developer Tools, Console tab instead.   (F12, Ctrl-2)

Your subject mentions the MSDN brand.   Is that definitely a factor for reproducing your problem?  E.g. this forum can be viewed in other brands:  delete the .msdn level from the URL in the Address bar, or replace it with .technet

So, what exactly is your symptom description?  Perhaps it would help to use the DOM Explorer to clarify what you are seeing.  However, it helps to have a second monitor to leave the unpinned Developer Tools window...  <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, January 5, 2014 11:38 PM
  • The problem at this point is that the bullet list on the left won't expand.  Also, clicking on the "View All" does nothing.  Makes it very hard to navigate.

I tried all the forums, not just msdn.  All do the same thing.

The mouse over style change works (goes from gray to black), but there are no actions on a mouse click.

I fired up the dev tools, and traced a click on the "Learning" bullet.  Here is the function that gets executed

function dcsImageMap(b)
    {b=b||(window.event||"");
    if(b){var a=dcsEvt(b,"AREA");
    if(a)if(a.hostname&&a.href&&a.protocol&&a.protocol.indexOf("http")!=-1){
    dcsNavigation(a);
    navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE")==-1&&a.onclick&&dcsSetVarCap(a);var c=a.pathname?a.pathname.indexOf("/")!=0?"/"+a.pathname:a.pathname:"/";dcsMultiTrack("DCS.dcssip",a.hostname,"DCS.dcsuri",c,"DCS.dcsqry",a.search||"","WT.ti","Link:Image Map","WT.dl","1","WT.ad","","WT.mc_id","","WT.sp","");DCS.dcssip=DCS.dcsuri=DCS.dcsqry=WT.ti=c=WT.dl=""}}}

this statement

if(a)if(a.hostname&&a.href&&a.protocol&&a.protocol.indexOf("http")!=-1

is completely broken (a.protocol == "Hypertext Transfer Protocol" not "http") so it never gets to dcsNavigation.

does that help?

Also, do the developers if IE11 know that the debug view text occasionally extends into the scroll bar on the right?

• Edited by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:08 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 1:06 PM
  • Finally!  I noticed at one point during the debugger exercise it stopped on a "Permission Denied" exception.  On the off chance, I started IE with a right click a "Run As Administrator" and voila! everything works.

What gives with that?

if(typeof localStorage[a]!=="undefined")

causes it.

Also, adding *.Microsoft.com to trusted sites makes it work.
    • Marked as answer by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:34 PM
    • Edited by Van Derrick Monday, January 6, 2014 1:34 PM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Finally!  I noticed at one point during the debugger exercise it stopped on a "Permission Denied" exception.

C.f.  (Synchronicity?)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home#bf4d9620-bf24-4150-a387-578ba2dce5b7

<quote>

The integrity setting on the AppData\LocalLow folder in each user's profile is supposed to be set to "Low"

</quote>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 6, 2014 2:18 PM