PS 2010: Extracting dashboards etc. from Project 2010 demo image? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I was briefly running a search query in this forum but it seems as no one else has posted anything alike yet.

Since my laptop doesn't support Hyper-V, I have installed all the required components for Project 2010 locally for demo purposes. Whenever I'm seeing a customer, I demo everything from my machine, which includes a PWA instance with the demo projects that I copied over from the demo image.

Now ideally I would also like to show the couple of sample reports and especially dashboards that the demo image contains. However, I fail to get that to work.

I presume that these dashboards are stored in the PWA_WSS_Content_80 database within the demo image. So I took a backup of this DB and restored it locally within the SQL server running on my machine. I then created a new Content DB in Central Administration that was connecting to this restored DB. However, I cannot find any of the dashboards or anything else. It says that this Content DB only contains one site collection which is called "/sites/Office_Viewing_Service_Cache". I was hoping that this Content DB would also contain the site collection for the PWA demo instance. Or will I find all this stuff in another Content DB on the image?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Marc

***EDIT:

It seems that PWA instance of the demo image was called "PWA". I already had a PWA instance with the same name. After deleting it and re-creating the Content DB I know have an additional 2nd site collection called /PWA which contains all project workspaces etc. So it seems that I'm one step closer to making this work.

However, when I'm trying to open the Corporate dashboard, I currently get the following error:

"You do not have permissions to see this data or the server is unavailable. Additional details have been logged for your administrator."

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Most of these elements are in the form of Excel workbooks, which you can save locally, and then connect them to a different data source. Just make sure that all of the custom fields are available. Some of these are SSRS reports, but I can't guide you on harvesting those. I'm sure that this is possible using SSRS.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Thanks for the hint, Gary. Exporting the Excel workbooks is definitely a workaround I'm considering. Since I also want most of the other content such das PDP's, the demo workflow, SSRS reports, Performance Point dashboards, I think it's too bothersome to try to manually export all of that. Let's see... :)

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:03 AM
  • You could try a database backup and attach. You can use the playbooks tool for the things that it works with. Note that moving PDPs and EPTs between systems is not a fun and easy procedure.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:19 PM