What size should i have for WHS Backup HDD? RRS feed

• Question

• Im currently running the WHS 2009 Power Pack 3 ,and im running it on a Intel based system.  I have almost 2 terabytes of storage capacity in my system ,and i want to start using the back up option in the O.S.  How big does my back up drive need to be to back up the system files?
    Friday, March 9, 2012 4:07 PM

All replies

• The only supported way to back up your server, which is running Windows Home Server V1, is to use the server backup tool in the console. NTBackup doesn't correctly back up and restore Drive Extender drives; neither will most other backup tools. You can, of course, shut your server down and clone all the disks in it; this is effective, but inconvenient (and also unsupported).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Thanks for clearing that up i was confused on that as well, but when i want to install a new drive on my server, and in the WHS Console it gives me the option to either use the drive as part of storage or backup.  Can you tell me anything about that option because i have never used it before.  Its no problem any help is appreciated lol
    • Edited by Allent8246 Monday, March 12, 2012 12:33 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 12:33 AM
  • This should explain it nicely.

http://www.davescomputertips.com/2011/08/how-to-backup-your-windows-home-server-v1/

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks for clearing that up i was confused on that as well, but when i want to install a new drive on my server, and in the WHS Console it gives me the option to either use the drive as part of storage or backup. Can you tell me anything about that option because i have never used it before. Its no problem any help is appreciated lol

BullDawg
    Monday, March 12, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Thanks for the link BullDawg it cleared things up so the size of the back up hard disk depends on what you want to backup.  Could you use the same function to back up the system disk in-case of failure?
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:21 AM
  • No, it only works for data in the shared folders.  There are some cloning methods for the system drive, but the steps must be followed precisely and meticulously.  However, the cloning process has one catch 22.  The clone must be immediately restored before DE runs again.  This effectively makes any clone useless after about an hour.  For moving to a new system drive immediately, it works, but saving it as an archive will fail.  In my opinion, it is not worth the hassle or risk that DE has kicked and run before the clone is complete.  As long as my data is backed up, I can do a clean install of my server and restore the data back.  On a new install, add the same drives as "back up drives" but do not format them.  Then run the restore wizard to bring your data back in.  I have tested this with a 6 TB data pool twice with no problems.  I find a clean install of WHS, add the back up drives back without format, restore the data using the wizard, is faster and less problematic than doing a server reinstall that is "sometimes" offered when you run install from the CD/DVD.  Doing a clean install lets you add drivers after the install completes to get all the drive pool drives recognized if some are attached to add in cards.  I have a Silicon Image 3124 PCI card that is difficult to install with the F6 method, so I install the SataLink drivers for this card after install completes.

If you would like to read up on cloning the WHS v1 system partition, here is a link.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/19222-whs-v1-sp2-pp3-cloning-system-disk/

But, I would also read Ken's response in this thread.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/whshardware/thread/bdab0ae2-593b-48ac-bd95-5883c3475bc0

For what it is worth, I have tested cloning twice.  Both attempts seemed fine at first, but failed within days.  It's not worth entrusting my data to a cloned system disk.

Hope I have answered your question.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks for the link BullDawg it cleared things up so the size of the back up hard disk depends on what you want to backup. Could you use the same function to back up the system disk in-case of failure?

BullDawg
    Monday, March 12, 2012 4:08 AM
  • To clone your system drive safely, find a utility that will clone the entire disk, including any disk ID information written in the partition table. Then, using the bootable version of that tool, clone to a new drive of the same or slightly larger size. Don't adjust partition sizes at all; preserve those that Windows Home Server initially used (you may waste some space on the new disk, but this is better than the issues that result when you change disk sizes under Windows Home Server). You should get a clone that works.

Don't attempt to clone the system drive of a running version of Windows Home Server.

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Note that there are a number of ways cloning can go wrong, and cloning is an extremely unsupported way of backing Windows Home Server up. In the case of Windows Home Server, by the time you need to clone the system drive, it will probably be too late (data on the drive is already damaged if the drive is in trouble). At any other time, you need to take a full snapshot of the entire server, not just the system drive.

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Yeah i have read up on it, but i was some what reluctant to try third party clone software on my server.  Thanks for the advice, and i will certainly put it to good use in the future.  I'm in college as a I.T major so tinkering is a hobby.  I was just curious since it was my actual first time building a running server.  It's been running since 2009 so I'm doing something right lol.
    • Edited by Allent8246 Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:58 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hey! Thanks for the extra info, and the links as well.  I never used the back up option because all the drives i installed i use for data and backups for the other computers on my network.  Thats pretty good that you where able to do that twice on such a big array.   I had bought two PCI-E 1x raid cards for that purpose of extra storage but when i built my server and tried to install raid drivers to make a RAID 0 for the system disk it was disappointing that WHS doesn't support that.  That did answer all my questions, and thanks for the help definitely will come back agian for more help thanks!
    • Edited by Allent8246 Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:57 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:56 AM