Move drive from one interface to another RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 2 external drives connected to my WHS via USB 2. They are housed in USB/eSATA external cases. I'm wondering if I add a SATA card to my WHS can I simply plug those drives into the eSATA ports without first removing them from the server?

ie. will WHS detect that they are existing drives in the pool?

The same issue applies if I move a USB drive from one USB port to another will it still be part of the pool or do I have to remove it from the pool and then re-add the drive?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:45 AM

Answers

• I moved a usb drive from an external case, to an internal IDE and it worked without a problem.  It actually still showed it as a USB drive when I looked at my drives. 

When I moved a drve from one USB slot to another it took a long time to view my drive status, so I restarted and moved it back and it was ok.  I'm going to try it again as I don't see why that should cause a problem.

-James

Monday, March 5, 2007 5:26 AM

All replies

• supposedly it should keep track of the HDD's serial number / ID.  but I don't think this has been tested as of yet, so let us know how you go.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:57 AM
  • I moved a usb drive from an external case, to an internal IDE and it worked without a problem.  It actually still showed it as a USB drive when I looked at my drives. 

When I moved a drve from one USB slot to another it took a long time to view my drive status, so I restarted and moved it back and it was ok.  I'm going to try it again as I don't see why that should cause a problem.

-James

Monday, March 5, 2007 5:26 AM