Cryptography STILL not running! and more.... RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a heck of a time here! I just had a new machine built for me. The computer guy used my old sound card, and my cd/dvd player. He also used one of my HDD which is not my "C" drive. I am running XP home, with SP2 installed.
    I have had this machine 1 week now, and have had error after error after error. There are over 100 of these at a stretch. I also have a HDD corrupt error that I will post after this.
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    ESENT
    Event Category:    General
    Event ID:    485
     Description:
    svchost (1304) An attempt to delete the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb" failed with system error 1392 (0x00000570):
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. ".  The delete file operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02).
    =============
    Event Category:    Logging/Recovery
    Event ID:    439
     Description:
    Catalog Database (1304) Unable to write a shadowed header for file C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb. Error -1022.
    ===========
    Event Category:    General
    Event ID:    490
     Description:
    svchost (1304) An attempt to open the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb" for read / write access failed with system error 1392 (0x00000570):
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02).
    =======================
    I have tried to get this CatRoot2\tmp.edb repaired, with the XP fix but I keep getting the following error:
    Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer"
    I have tried to repair the Cryptography, but the original article posted HERE, regarding the "Cryptography not running!" and the .vb script on that page is corrupt.
    I have NO access to the recovery console yet, as I do not have the raid drivers on floppy. Everything I need is on CD, and having no idea about raid and what is really needed on the floppy, I have not done anything yet.
    Here is the other error that I am getting:
    Event Source:    Ntfs
    Event Category:    Disk
    Event ID:    55
    Date:        11/21/2006
    Time:        1:35:23 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    THEBEAST
    Description: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:
    I have run chkdsk about 4 time and the problem keeps coming back, and I cannot run it from recovery console...again...yet :(
    -
    This is what I'm running...or trying to run.
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    --
    PROCESSOR:
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    --
    MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-E 1.XX
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 0203 06/15/2006
    --
    DRIVES:
    WDC WD4000YR-01PLB0 [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) drive 1
    WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 [Hard drive] (200.05 GB)  drive 2
    WDC WD20 00JB-00FUA0 USB Device [Hard drive] (200.05 GB) drive 3
    IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] drive 0
    HP photosmart 7700 USB Device [Hard drive] drive 4
    ---
    I NEVER had these kind of problems on my old, slow machine. :(
    I need help because I am very close to throwing this machine in the trash!
    Thanks,
    MistyEyes
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 12:01 AM

Answers

• 1st, I must digress. I have been having error after error with 3 different event ID codes, in the Event Source: ESENT C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb & also Event ID: 55 Event Source: Ntfs - asking me to chkdisk on every boot.
    I found the fix on Microsoft's site, but trying to install this fix I kept getting the error that Cryptography Service could not be found or is not working.......THEN...
    What brought me to this forum in the 1st place was a google search that I did.
    There is a post:
    Dated 06-21-2006,3:23 AM UTC by Carey Frisch
    MVP

Answer Re: Cryptography not running?
    And the txt of that post:
    Please try the following:
    Corrects Cryptographic Error Message: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cryptofix.htm
    How To Fix The Cryptographic Service Error:
    http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

Well, the xp_cryptofix.vbs did not work on that 1st page! So I went to  http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html
    On that page, way down toward the bottom of that page was the most simple of fixes: Manually delete the contents of %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 and reboot....
    In safemode. Which I did. NO ERRORS!!!!
    Then I was able to install that fix from MS: WindowsXP-KB910437-x86-ENU.exe
    And now I am so far (fingers xx'ed) error free! WHEW! 1 week of hell over!

So thanks everyone for the posts and the assistance! :)
    Happy holidays to 1 and all!
    MistyEyes

Sunday, November 26, 2006 1:59 PM

All replies

• Misty,

Your post does not seem to relate to WGA problems.

I don't think the computer guy is too swift either...he should know that XP Setup will see an installed ZIP drive as the first hard disk and assign drive letter C: to it, which looks like might be your problem.

IMO your best solution is to do a clean installation of XP onto the fastest HDD you have.  To keep XP setup from assigning drive letter C: to your ZIP drive, unplug both the data and power cable to the ZIP during Setup, then plug it back in after XP is installed.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 12:27 AM
  • The C drive is not the zip, it is my oldest HDD. It was never C.
    When XP was installed, the only drive plugged in, was the HDD with C.
    btw.. I just tried something here. I may be able to start re-installing updates. I went to safemode and was able to rename the catroot2 folder. So far, only 10 minutes in, but no errors and that is the most amt of time with no errors in a week. Now I will try and install the updates.
    Still don't know about the Cryptography.. time will tell!
    Thanks much for the quick post!
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 12:39 AM
  • Misty:

I'm sorry, but I'm not too familiar with Cryptographics and digital signatures except whats directly related and required to run WGA Validation and WGA Notifications. That being said, I highly suggest submitting a general WindowsXP service request at www.support.microsoft.com - but we can see what we can do here :). How about downloading and trying to install files from www.download.microsoft.com?  (Try IE7)

Does this run and install properly? If not, what messaging comes up? We run the same cryptographics requirements as the IE7 installation package. We can debug from there.

-phil

Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:00 AM
  • Misty,

"WDC WD4000YR-01PLB0 [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) drive 1
    WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 [Hard drive] (200.05 GB)  drive 2
    WDC WD20 00JB-00FUA0 USB Device [Hard drive] (200.05 GB) drive 3
    IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] drive 0
    HP photosmart 7700 USB Device [Hard drive] drive 4"

Most of the time drive 0 (zero) becomes drive letter C.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:29 AM
  • 1st, I must digress. I have been having error after error with 3 different event ID codes, in the Event Source: ESENT C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb & also Event ID: 55 Event Source: Ntfs - asking me to chkdisk on every boot.
    I found the fix on Microsoft's site, but trying to install this fix I kept getting the error that Cryptography Service could not be found or is not working.......THEN...
    What brought me to this forum in the 1st place was a google search that I did.
    There is a post:
    Dated 06-21-2006,3:23 AM UTC by Carey Frisch
    MVP

Answer Re: Cryptography not running?
    And the txt of that post:
    Please try the following:
    Corrects Cryptographic Error Message: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cryptofix.htm
    How To Fix The Cryptographic Service Error:
    http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html

Well, the xp_cryptofix.vbs did not work on that 1st page! So I went to  http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html
    On that page, way down toward the bottom of that page was the most simple of fixes: Manually delete the contents of %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 and reboot....
    In safemode. Which I did. NO ERRORS!!!!
    Then I was able to install that fix from MS: WindowsXP-KB910437-x86-ENU.exe
    And now I am so far (fingers xx'ed) error free! WHEW! 1 week of hell over!

So thanks everyone for the posts and the assistance! :)
    Happy holidays to 1 and all!
    MistyEyes

Sunday, November 26, 2006 1:59 PM