Perfect Disk 2008 any others: RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled WHS on my server 8 times because Perfect Disk 2008 will not install properly. Everytime I go to install it cannot find a file. I downloaded the installed directly from the website and followed the directions word by word over 20 times. I get an error 1308. I do have the msiexec log file if anyone wants to see it. Can someone help? Are there any other disk defragmentoers available? Thanks
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    I don't think that you will really need a defragmentation tool on the home server in the very most configurations.
    Reason: The bottleneck for servers is usually (especially if not a lot of users are accessing data simultaneously) the network connection. As long as the disk delivers the data faster than the network connection send it to/take it from your client PCs, using such a product on the server is more a placebo in my opinion and increases only the risk of breaking something.
    Your question itself may be better targeted to the helpdesk of the software producer (Raxco).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Unfortunately, Raxco are probably the only ones who will be able to help you in this case.

As for other disk defragmenting utilities, there's Diskeeper for Windows Home Server as well. But I agree with Olaf that real world testing does not, in the general case, support the need for defragmenting a server's hard drives regularly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    I don't think that you will really need a defragmentation tool on the home server in the very most configurations.
    Reason: The bottleneck for servers is usually (especially if not a lot of users are accessing data simultaneously) the network connection. As long as the disk delivers the data faster than the network connection send it to/take it from your client PCs, using such a product on the server is more a placebo in my opinion and increases only the risk of breaking something.
    Your question itself may be better targeted to the helpdesk of the software producer (Raxco).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:15 PM
  • I appreciate the input, but from my experience at work, defragmentation is a must in my eyes. I have contacted Raxco with no luck. Not sure if anyone here has/had the same problem? THanks again.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:19 PM
  •  What version are you installing, I have been using PD 2008 starting with beta versions and have never had an install problem. PD has 2 versions the WHS version (for your server) and the Pro version for your clients.
    Bud - Alameda, CA
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Server V. 2008
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Unfortunately, Raxco are probably the only ones who will be able to help you in this case.

As for other disk defragmenting utilities, there's Diskeeper for Windows Home Server as well. But I agree with Olaf that real world testing does not, in the general case, support the need for defragmenting a server's hard drives regularly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:57 PM
  • jshoemaker21 said:

Server V. 2008

PerfectDisk has a specific WHS version.  The version you are trying to install is not for WHS.  Go back to the Raxco website and get the correct version.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:29 PM
  • I did download the WHS edition.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:52 AM
  • I finally got it to install. Has anyone noticed a differece after defragmenting all volumes?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:13 PM
  • jshoemaker21 said:

I finally got it to install. Has anyone noticed a differece after defragmenting all volumes?

I agree with Ken and Olaf.

In my experience defrag only increases server load and disk IO and may as such have a negative influence on performance and disk life time. Access speed to files on  the server are in most cases limited by network speed, so in most cases you will not notice any benefit from defragmentation.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:17 PM
  • I have tried perfect disk.
    but even better i ahve tried without it.

the server keeps files in NTFS and sperad across multiple volumes. so  there is not alot fo fragmenting happening.
    affter several months of server running  i manually invoked disk defrag to see what was goin on .. in ALL DRIVES in all attempts windows reported very little fragmentation and never once suggested that a defrag was neccisary..

most defrag tools are unneeded in real life...  the only time you need to defrag a station is if there is ALOT of file activity.. adds deletes and changes  on a daily basis..  this happens mostly on workstations...  on home servers the application is more of a repository and backup.. so defrags are not needed..
    I suspect that if you manyally defrag once per year you should be more than fine on the server

i also agree with olaf and ken that  its more of a piece of mind placebo than  anythign benificial. as any process running on your server will require more cpu and ram time causing more of a slowdown when schlepping files around..

WHS i sonly a 10 user system .
    not alot of load there..
    anything bigger and your looking at a bigger server package.. and diffrent hardware minimums to boot.

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:48 AM
  • I do show fragmentation. I have large files with a lot of movement. Perfect Disk is reccomending a defrag. I'm not at the office this is home... But when things are used constantly they fragment. My network speed is quite fast. Does anyone else use the program?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

In general, if you have large files, then fragmentation isn't a great problem.
    I've used both Diskeeper and PerfectDisk (WHS specific versions) on a couple of servers which have been used for all sorts of testing with lots of additions/delections and didn't see any difference at all in operation.
    I tend to agree with the above posters, that on a server, it's not worth spending the money, the equivalent spent on extra memory would reap bigger benefits.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:20 PM