cannot connect RRS feed

• Question

• First I should say that I connected with no problems with the previous version of WHS.

This time, I do a clean install of WHS, no problems.  Then use the connect disk to try connect to my server. The software installs then finds the server and asks for a password. I click on the password hint button and my hint is not there.
     I then enter my password correctly, Another window opens, a connect to server window, I try my password in that window. It then sends me back to the connect window and says that my password is incorrect etc.
    I tried all day yesterday to get connected with no luck. Today I did a fresh clean install and started over. Same results.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx!!!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:13 PM

Answers

• I'd write that one up as an odd one.  You should have filed a bug, there may have been something the product team could have spotted.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:03 PM

All replies

• Log on to the Server locally, or via Remote Desktop, using the password you supplied during the Server installation.  Make sure you can log in with this password. This is the same password you will use to open the Windows Home Server Console, or to install the Connector software.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:33 PM
  • I have logged on to the server.  The password works fine on that computer. It just won't work when I try to use the connector software to add my other computers.
    I have not attempted the remote desktop at all. Thanx for your response
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Log into the Server and right click the network icon in the System Tray.  Select Change Windows Firewall Settings and go to the Exceptions tab.  You should see 4 entries for Windows Home Server. 

Windows Home Server Computer Backup

Windows Home Server Diagnostics

Windows Home Server Remote Access

Windows Home Server Transport Service

Ensure they're all checked.  Additionally, make sure the exception for Remote Desktop is checked, as well.  And then verify that you can log in via Remote Desktop.

Additionally, are all the PC's in the same subnet?  192.168.0.xxx for example?   If not, some of the WHS functions will fail, since the Scope of some of the firewall exceptions is for local subnet only.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:40 PM
  • They are all checked. I am not set up to log on remotely. By remotely you mean from a computer outside my little network?

All computers my network are on the same subnet behind a d-link DI-604 wired router.

Thanx....
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:10 PM
  • No, I meant log on using Remote Desktop from another PC on your LAN. Remote Desktop on the Server should be enabled by default.  If you can't log in via RDP, log into the server locally, right click My Computer, Properties, Remote and ensure that Enable Remote Desktop on this computer is checked.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:07 PM
  • I cannot log into my server remotely because I cannot connect to the server. I cannot get past the password error. The connect software does not allow me to log in with out a password. I then have to cancel the install. There is no icon in my task bar and no other way I know of to connect to the WHS console that i know of.

Thanx

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:23 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem.

New install today.

When asked for password during connect, I enter the correct password, and get Unknown Error.

When I click the password hint, I get "".

Yes, it shows two quotes with nothing between.  My password hint is "Check the list, Jed", but I don't receive that hint.

I do see that I have not activated my WHS yet (30-days)... I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but am hesitating to activate in case I need to re-install.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:33 PM
  • I said log on using Remote Desktop, not the Connector software.  

On one of the Client PC's on your LAN, click Start, Run and enter  MSTSC.  When the Remote Desktop Connection Software opens, enter SERVER for the Computer to connect to.  When you're prompted for a username and password, enter Administrator and whatever password you assigned to that account, on the Server, during the installation.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:41 PM
  • No, activation shouldn't cause this issue.  Its possible that the comma in the password hint is causing problems.  We know apostrophe's were causing issues in various places in Beta 2.

See my instructions for connecting to the server using Remote Desktop.  If that doesn't work, you'll need to ensure that Remote Desktop is enabled.  It should be, by default.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:43 PM
  • Okay, I tried that and it would not log on. Here is the message I received:
    "the system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again........."
     remote desk top is enabled on both pc's

Disregard above I made an error. I did it again and was able to log on. with one PC .  What's the next step??

My other PC runs windows Vista.

I just logged on with my other PC. starting to look a little brighter...

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Mine would not work before or after activation. I don't think it makes any difference. At least it didn't with me.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Try rebooting the Server.  If that doesn't resolve it, try turning off the firewall on the Server.  If that fails, log into the server, click Start, Run and enter EVENTVWR.MSC.  Look through the event logs for anything that's logged at the time you tried to connect via the Connector software.  If needed, try to connect again and make a note of the time for easier tracking.

Other than that, file a bug.  Make sure you run TalQ.exe on the server to generate the necessary files for the bug.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:37 PM
  • I had the same no connect issue. I was able to partly resolve it by deleting all the user accounts on the server. Then install the Desktop Connector software....Log in as Administrator and use the password you created when you installed the Home Server. It will make the connection but whine about no user profile.....Now log on to the server (locally or via remote desktop) and create a user account. You will see the computer with the Desktop Connector software installed on it listed on the Server Console and you will be able to do the backups etc. I am still not able to use the Desktop Connector software to connect directly to the Server even though I can access all the network shared folders, use remote desktop and connect to my server using the livenode.com connection.  (I get the password prompt then when I enter my server password I get the green line going back and forth for several minutes then it just drops back to the enter password screen with no error message). I read a tip here about turning off the server firewall which I tried....no change.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:19 AM
  • I tried all you suggested and nothing changed.

Then I started checking my hardware, I heard a faint beeping from the HDD.
    I then replaced the HDD with two other HHD's and reinstalled WHS.

Slipped in the connect CD and and installed the software no problem. Every thing appears to be functioning as it should.

So I guess I can safely say that he HDD was the problem.

It's only been a half hour but it looks good so far.

Thanx for the help....
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:56 PM
  • I'd write that one up as an odd one.  You should have filed a bug, there may have been something the product team could have spotted.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Thanks for all of the help.

I am still unable to connect with the software, or remote access from this particular machine.  I tried all (I think) of the suggestions, and no luck.

Interstingly enough, I had the complete stupidity to try from my wife's computer, and hers actually connected the first time... but I didn't even load the software.  The "server" was already present on her network places, and I simply double clicked and it asked for user/password.  I entered Administrator and password, and had access to the server.  Could do everything just like I was directly on server itself.  I was happy it worked, but perplexed why the same doesn't work on my other machine.  Both of them are running XP Pro SP2 (32-bit) all the latest updates.  I won't be actually loading the connect software on her machine, because I still want to sleep in the same bed if anything gets funky. Smile

The server is present in my network places on the machine that won't connect... if I double click it there, I get an error... If I try and connect remotely from this computer, I get an error...  I really suspect this machine has another security setting someplace that I have overlooked.  It has McAfee Security Center with all the bells and whistles... I went through it, and tried my best to deactivate all associated functions, even exiting it as well... but I still get access errors.

I apollogize for my lack of "technical" words... I am fairly savy, but not well versed in technospeak.  In other words, I know enough to get myself in trouble.

Friday, April 27, 2007 2:34 AM
  • The fact that you can see the server shares from the Vista machine definitely indicates a problem with the XP machine, or some software that's on it.  McAfee has its own "security" features.  Can you disabe it completely?   Or if necessary, uninstall it? 

Assuming that you're running McAfee's firewall and Privacy Service, these are known to cause issues with a number of products.  The firewall, for instance, must allow the necessary inbound, as well as outbound traffic.  Unfortunately, all the ports that are needed are not readily apparent, as the Windows Firewall allows programs by filename and version, so the port that program uses isn't always obvious.

Friday, April 27, 2007 5:38 AM
  •  blaster5 wrote:

Thanks for all of the help.

I am still unable to connect with the software, or remote access from this particular machine.  I tried all (I think) of the suggestions, and no luck.

Interstingly enough, I had the complete stupidity to try from my wife's computer, and hers actually connected the first time... but I didn't even load the software.  The "server" was already present on her network places, and I simply double clicked and it asked for user/password.  I entered Administrator and password, and had access to the server.  Could do everything just like I was directly on server itself.  I was happy it worked, but perplexed why the same doesn't work on my other machine.  Both of them are running XP Pro SP2 (32-bit) all the latest updates.  I won't be actually loading the connect software on her machine, because I still want to sleep in the same bed if anything gets funky.

The server is present in my network places on the machine that won't connect... if I double click it there, I get an error... If I try and connect remotely from this computer, I get an error...  I really suspect this machine has another security setting someplace that I have overlooked.  It has McAfee Security Center with all the bells and whistles... I went through it, and tried my best to deactivate all associated functions, even exiting it as well... but I still get access errors.

I apollogize for my lack of "technical" words... I am fairly savy, but not well versed in technospeak.  In other words, I know enough to get myself in trouble.

There is a known issue with installing the new TCP Connector software on XP pc's. If you can ping the server by ip or name go to the the shares folder on the server and you can install the old Beta2 connector from there.

Rex Geissinger

Friday, April 27, 2007 4:46 PM
  • I had the same issue but didn't realize that others had as well or would have logged a bug.

I used Remote Desktop to the server, fired up the Console on the Server desktop and setup my user account. After that all machines connected first try on the Connector install.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:03 AM
  • I have tried all of the same things to no avail.  I installed WHS CTP no problem and went I went to install the connector software on Vista Home Prem. I get it to find the server and then it asks for the password which i type in correctly and it pops up with a second box asking for a user name and password.  I am not sure which user it is asking for but I have tried the WHS and my vista user passwords.  After several attempts it just errors out and says "This operation could not be completed at this time"  I am able to see all of the shares using explorer and I am able to connect with remote desktop.  I have all of my firewalls off on both machines.  i am running out of things to try.  when I tried to set up a user account using the console on the WHS machine that was successful.  when I reran the connector softeware I just get an error saying that my password is incorrect.  so i deleted the user account from WHS console and now I am back at the second pop up box and which user/password to use because none of the seem to work.

Any Ideas???  Has anyone filed a bug on this.  I search but didnt seem to find one

Thanks

Mike

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:21 PM
  • I have this same issue with the CTP version of the connector software. I can connect to my server via Remote Desktop and from the internet. I can browse to all my shared folders and copy data to/from them. My automatic backups are working fine. My only issue is that when I try to connect with the connector software I get the prompt for password (hit is blank even though I did fill in a hint). When I enter the password I get the green progress bar for 2-3 min then it just drops back to enter password. I did check my event view log files but there is no entry for that time.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:21 PM
  • I was actually able to get mine to work by restarting, something I thought I tried.  My password hint had worked the whole time, but was not recognizing me until i restarted the machine and then re-ran the connector install.  Sounds like a bug or needed instructinon to me
    Friday, May 4, 2007 7:00 PM
  •  Vulcan25 wrote:
    I have this same issue with the CTP version of the connector software. I can connect to my server via Remote Desktop and from the internet. I can browse to all my shared folders and copy data to/from them. My automatic backups are working fine. My only issue is that when I try to connect with the connector software I get the prompt for password (hit is blank even though I did fill in a hint). When I enter the password I get the green progress bar for 2-3 min then it just drops back to enter password. I did check my event view log files but there is no entry for that time.

Exactly the same thing here...CTP version, can see / use the folders, but can't log in to the connector software to change settings. nothing has worked so far, and it's pretty annoying to have to go upstairs every time I want to mess with the settings.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 2:42 AM
  • My experience:

Had some trouble installing WHS due to SiliconImage 3112 SATA controller.  Finally got that working and got the install done.

On the newer PC, tried many times, for days to get Connector installed and working.  Followed all the suggestions I could find in this thread and others.  Tried casting spells.  Nothing worked.

On my kids' PC, tried it once and it worked great.  Hmmmmmm.

Tried a few more things and spent all day at work yesterday, in between phone calls, searching for other ideas.  Went home and before I tried any of them, saw a reference to OpenDNS online.  Smacked myself in the forehead and recalled that I was using OpenDNS on that PC due to some problem with my ISP that I cannot even remember.

Removed OpenDNS information and Connector worked perfectly on the next try.

Tonight after work, I'll be putting the server back together using screws and everything and hopefully it wil work as advertised.

Apparently, I need to keep track of stuff I mess with so I can unmess with it later when I'm messing with other stuff.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Same issue as everyone here. Mine didn't occur until I ran a security update for IE7. I am pulling my hair out on this one.
    I tried to reinstall the connector software but after it finds my server and I put in the password it just goes to another window that says "An unknown network error has occurred." "Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on. Then restart this Wizard."

Well the wizard found the server and I can RDP into it so I know its not a bad cable or something. I tried on 3 different machines...all running XP Pro...same result. Looks like I'll be blowing this install away and starting from scratch.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:13 PM