Restoring data from a previous install. RRS feed

• Question

• I may have to reinstall windows home server. I have 2 additional hard drives installed. If I reinstall, can just add the additional hard drives with my data to the new install without losing the data?

Additionally, the install drive also has a portion of the data partition. Will a new install wipe the whole install drive or can I keep that partition? I have enough room to backup that portion but I'm not sure how.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 10:25 PM

Answers

• I may have to reinstall windows home server. I have 2 additional hard drives installed. If I reinstall, can just add the additional hard drives with my data to the new install without losing the data?

No.  When a drive is added to the storage pool, it automatically gets formatted.

Additionally, the install drive also has a portion of the data partition. Will a new install wipe the whole install drive or can I keep that partition? I have enough room to backup that portion but I'm not sure how.
    You want to do a Server Reinstallation (or, if you have a pre-built server from HP/Acer, it's called Server Recovery).  It wipes the OS partition, leaving everything else in tact.
    • Marked as answer by Thunderslap Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

No.  When a drive is added to the storage pool, it automatically gets formatted.

You want to do a Server Reinstallation (or, if you have a pre-built server from HP/Acer, it's called Server Recovery).  It wipes the OS partition, leaving everything else in tact.
    • Marked as answer by Thunderslap Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Thank you very much for the assistance. I went through and started going through some of the options to see if I had any follow up questions but it looks simple and intuitive. I guess I was expecting a complex, lengthy process. I'm glad it wasn't.

Thanks again.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:09 PM