Can I use this Sync Framework to sync two SQL Server DBs not on same network? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who has three SQL Server 2000 DBs who wants all three to synchronized.  I saw this framework and have read/watched and learned this could help me out.  However, I'm still trying to grapple with figuring out how to sync two dbs when one is not connected to the same network as the other db.

I'm envisioning being able to create a Version and Knowledge package, save to a device (USB key or portable harddrive), bring it to the other network then run a program to compare them to do the sync.  Is this possible?

Thank you.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:50 PM

Answers

• With Sync Framework, you can use the Peer Sync Provider to sync multiple SQL Server 2008 databases. More details can be found in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902853.aspx.

For cross network sync, if you can create one SQL database on your portable device, it can be used as an intermediate sync replica to support your scenario. For example, You have Sync Replica A in Network1, and Sync Replica B in Network2, you can use the database in device as the Replica C. By syncing A <-> C, and C<->B, you can let A and B in sync.

By the way, you need to detach and attach your database on portable device to move it to a different SQL server instance.

Thanks,
    Dong

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:44 PM