none
Unable to Activate

Question

• Bought Vista Home OS CD set from HP and installed on a nc6400 HP Compaq laptop that once had Windows XP Pro. The harddrive was wiped completely clean before the install. It ran for about 2-3 weeks fine and then today I started to get  Warnings about "Windows did not pass genuine validation." If go to Start>Computer>Properties. At the bottom of that page I get a message under Windows Activation: "You must activate today. Active Windows now." Under that is Product ID: that has 17 number digits and right after the first (5) five digits there is a slash and OEM - 7 digits - 5 digits. Following that is the option: "Change product key" If I click on -  "You must activate today. Active Windows now" I get three options: "Buy a new product key online or Type a different product key or Contact Microsoft" I contacted both Microsoft and HP and they were both trying to say  that the other one should supply me with the Product key that is needed to finish the genuine validation. I spent about (4) four hours talking to both these companies. I may have to call HP/Microsoft and do a (3) three way conference call. Microsoft assured me that HP should be able to assign me the necessary product key as they sold me the  Vista Home OS CD set. And that "they" Microsoft did not have the key and HP should. Any help would be deeply appreciated. One of the more annoying things is that the Microsoft Security Essentials window keep popping up in the lower left corner reminding me that it will become disabled in 30 days if I do not resolve this issue. Finally if I choose to try and Validate it in the  Microsoft Security Essentials window. Another window opens and says: "The validation service is unable to determine whether Windows is genuine"
    Any HELP deeply appreciated ASAP!!! Sincerely, Ralph

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD2PK-BD3R2-44MV3
    Windows Product Key Hash: f7FPE6g/CLFmnJ4E6GbEU9Xn1sA=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7332166-00021
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002
    ID: {F98269CB-FDCE-4C74-96B2-45D6271C6A47}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338
    TTS Error: 
    Validation Diagnostic: 
    Resolution Status: N/A
    Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3
    Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed
    File Scan Data-->
    Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{F98269CB-FDCE-4C74-96B2-45D6271C6A47}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-44MV3</PKey><PID>89572-OEM-7332166-00021</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-228202081-2595265304-399181283</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Compaq nc6400 (RC454AW#ABA)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>68YCU Ver. F.05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060810000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E0313507018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  
    Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002
    Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6002.18005
    Name: Windows(TM) Vista, HomeBasic edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: 199086aa-6cb8-4e5b-b698-f2be56f1e8ee
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 89572-00146-321-600021-02-1033-6000.0000-3502011
    Installation ID: 007883435205707894298011464845460783379705991894907542
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43473
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43474
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43476
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43475
    Partial Product Key: 44MV3
    License Status: Notification
    Notification Reason: 0xC004F057.
    Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A
    HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: OgAAAAEABAABAAIAAQABAAAABAABAAEA+l4omtscsOYMduIVSOSUciYJThry9A5xaY4njfR8rFb0SA==
    OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A
    OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information: 
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC HP     30AD    
      FACP HP     30AD    
      MCFG HP     30AD    
      TCPA HP     30AD    
      SSDT HP     HPQNLP
      SSDT HP     HPQNLP
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:29 AM

Answers

• "dinoboom52" wrote in message news:5e7b8de5-2dc8-44c9-8818-722decbe6a84...

Thanks...I could not post it any other way earlier. When I first sign in it say's something like my account has been blocked and you may not have all the advantages/features. Dunno what's with that. I've hardly ever used Windows Live.

Well, Noel for the life of me this is a weird situation. I just don't believe in throwing money at "everything" to make it right. The computer worked fine. The certified HP techs that worked on it said the OS was fine booted into it and was stable. About three weeks later I start getting this validation  issue and my wallpaper turns black with the icons on it. After I set a nice picture.

I had Kapersky and removed it and started Microsoft Security Essentials. It was mentioned that due to the validation issue that MSE might only be working at 30%. So, I removed that and I'm Temp using Avira 2012.

Microsoft said that maybe the Key had been blocked and once that happens it can't be un blocked???

I'm wondering what HP really sold me?

Still perplexed, Ralph

Ralph Falzarano

Whenever you uninstall any AV, you MUST also use the manufacturer’s ‘Removal Tool’ to remove the dregs, prior to installing a replacement AV.

You should run the tools for Avira and Kaspersky, and you may then need to uninstall MSE, and reinstall it (to correct any registry problems).

As to what HP sold you, it *should* have been good – and it still should be. Unfortunately there are many slips twixt then and now.

Since you say that the MGADiag gave a green light at the reinstall, it would seem that something has happened in software thereafter. This sort of thing is often caused by incorrect updating.
    My normal practice is to delay *anything* until after all Windows Updates are installed – or at least until all Service Packs are installed.
    Once that has been done, only then will I install things such as Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and other software.
    This is particularly important currently for Vista, as a number of AV’s will actually break activation if they are installed before SP2 is in place.

(I’m starting to ramble – so I’ll break off here – post back if you want more <g>)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 23, 2012 11:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:32 PM

All replies

• "dinoboom52" wrote in message news:81c5d1f2-4122-4610-8061-9d7e6dc9bf70...
    Bought Vista Home OS CD set from HP and installed on a nc6400 HP Compaq laptop that once had Windows XP Pro. The harddrive was wiped completely clean before the install. It ran for about 2-3 weeks fine and then today I started to get  Warnings about "Windows did not pass genuine validation." If go to Start>Computer>Properties. At the bottom of that page I get a message under Windows Activation: "You must activate today. Active Windows now." Under that is Product ID: that has 17 number digits and right after the first (5) five digits there is a slash and OEM - 7 digits - 5 digits. Following that is the option: "Change product key" If I click on -  "You must activate today. Active Windows now" I get three options: "Buy a new product key online or Type a different product key or Contact Microsoft" I contacted both Microsoft and HP and they were both trying to say  that the other one should supply me with the Product key that is needed to finish the genuine validation. I spent about (4) four hours talking to both these companies. I may have to call HP/Microsoft and do a (3) three way conference call. Microsoft assured me that HP should be able to assign me the necessary product key as they sold me the  Vista Home OS CD set. And that "they" Microsoft did not have the key and HP should. Any help would be deeply appreciated. One of the more annoying things is that the Microsoft Security Essentials window keep popping up in the lower left corner reminding me that it will become disabled in 30 days if I do not resolve this issue. Finally if I choose to try and Validate it in the  Microsoft Security Essentials window. Another window opens and says: "The validation service is unable to determine whether Windows is genuine"
    Any HELP deeply appreciated ASAP!!! Sincerely, Ralph

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD2PK-BD3R2-44MV3
    Windows Product Key Hash: f7FPE6g/CLFmnJ4E6GbEU9Xn1sA=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-OEM-7332166-00021
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010300.2.0.002

Other data-->
    SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Compaq nc6400 (RC454AW#ABA)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>68YCU Ver. F.05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060810000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6002.18005
    Name: Windows(TM) Vista, HomeBasic edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table

You system appears to pre-date the release of Vista, so cannot support an OEM_SLP license for Vista – Why or how you managed to purchase these disks is a bit of a mystery, HP are not supposed to sell them except to owners of qualifying machines.
    The Key on your COA sticker is valid ONLY for the original OS – XP Pro.

You need to revert back to the original XP Pro installation using the proper manufacturer’s Recovery disk set.
    If you really want to upgrade the system, you would be better to upgrade it to Windows 7, assuming it can take it, using a full Upgrade copy of Win7. Check out on the HP website whether WIn7 drivers are available for the system, and run the Upgrade Advisor before spending hard cash!

• Marked as answer by dinoboom52 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dinoboom52 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:55 AM

• Ralph Falzarano
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:22 PM
  • It's very difficult to reply to a jpg file! :)

The MJB progrma will only find the *existing* Key - which we already know is not valid on this system.

You MUST contact HP - MS has no responsibility to provide materials at all in these circumstances, unless you want to purchase full retail licenses for WIn7.

As I said, this machine almost certainly came originally with XP - and cannot have Vista installed using an OEM_SLP Key

It's up to YOU to stay within the licensing regs - no-one else.

WHAT does the COA Sticker actually state as being the licensed version of WIndows? If it's either not legible, or not Vista, then the installed OS is not licensed, and the Key will not work.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Thanks...I could not post it any other way earlier. When I first sign in it say's something like my account has been blocked and you may not have all the advantages/features. Dunno what's with that. I've hardly ever used Windows Live.

Well, Noel for the life of me this is a weird situation. I just don't believe in throwing money at "everything" to make it right. The computer worked fine. The certified HP techs that worked on it said the OS was fine booted into it and was stable. About three weeks later I start getting this validation  issue and my wallpaper turns black with the icons on it. After I set a nice picture.

I had Kapersky and removed it and started Microsoft Security Essentials. It was mentioned that due to the validation issue that MSE might only be working at 30%. So, I removed that and I'm Temp using Avira 2012.

Microsoft said that maybe the Key had been blocked and once that happens it can't be un blocked???

Still perplexed, Ralph

Ralph Falzarano
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:25 PM
  • "dinoboom52" wrote in message news:5e7b8de5-2dc8-44c9-8818-722decbe6a84...

Thanks...I could not post it any other way earlier. When I first sign in it say's something like my account has been blocked and you may not have all the advantages/features. Dunno what's with that. I've hardly ever used Windows Live.

Well, Noel for the life of me this is a weird situation. I just don't believe in throwing money at "everything" to make it right. The computer worked fine. The certified HP techs that worked on it said the OS was fine booted into it and was stable. About three weeks later I start getting this validation  issue and my wallpaper turns black with the icons on it. After I set a nice picture.

Still perplexed, Ralph

Ralph Falzarano

Whenever you uninstall any AV, you MUST also use the manufacturer’s ‘Removal Tool’ to remove the dregs, prior to installing a replacement AV.

You should run the tools for Avira and Kaspersky, and you may then need to uninstall MSE, and reinstall it (to correct any registry problems).

As to what HP sold you, it *should* have been good – and it still should be. Unfortunately there are many slips twixt then and now.

Since you say that the MGADiag gave a green light at the reinstall, it would seem that something has happened in software thereafter. This sort of thing is often caused by incorrect updating.
    My normal practice is to delay *anything* until after all Windows Updates are installed – or at least until all Service Packs are installed.
    Once that has been done, only then will I install things such as Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and other software.
    This is particularly important currently for Vista, as a number of AV’s will actually break activation if they are installed before SP2 is in place.

(I’m starting to ramble – so I’ll break off here – post back if you want more <g>)

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 23, 2012 11:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:32 PM
  • No further reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:54 PM
  • MS delivered a new product key and this all went away after hours and hours and emails to HP and MS.

I finally found a kind soul...

Thank you for all your help!

God Bless, Ralph

Ralph Falzarano
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:15 AM
  • "dinoboom52" wrote in message news:d5d6a372-bf38-4ea6-a526-9ee62d3a0170...

MS delivered a new product key and this all went away after hours and hours and emails to HP and MS.

I finally found a kind soul...

Thank you for all your help!

God Bless, Ralph

Ralph Falzarano

You’re welcome – Good luck with the new Key!
    (Not sure what difference that will make, but...)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:07 AM