WinCE 6.0 driver compilation RRS feed

• Question

• We are a product based company developing USB, Serial, and PCMCIA smartcard readers. We provide WinCE drivers for all possible OS & processor platform combinations for our readers. We have been using eVC++ and Pocket PC SDK/Standard SDK for developing the drivers. When WinCE 6.0 was released there was no SDK release for that OS. I read in a article that MS has decided not to release Standard SDK going forward as they think these standard SDK's are not used by anybody.

For compiling WinCE driver for Windows CE 6.0 first I used platform builder generated sample OS for all possible processor types. From that workspace I generated SDK's then I installed those SDK's so that I can use VS 2005 to compile the drivers. Is this the only way to compile drivers for all platforms? Since there are many product based company providing WinCE support for their devices it would be very helpful if MS can provide clarity/do something about this.

Note: Few ppl have suggested in the past that using platform builder is the proper way to compile drivers. But u can imagine if we used PB then we need to build an OS image, maintain them in source safe all this is un-necessary overhead for us.

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:36 AM