File Transfer Internal to External RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have looked at all of the other messages related and could not find a solution.

I can file tranfer between to internal Coummunicators. 

I cannot file transfer from internal to External Communicator or MSN client or visa versa.

I get "error in transfer" when trying to send to MSN client, and a message that indicates a possible firewall issue with External Communicator.

I checked to make sure IM filters allow the files.  The Edge server is outside ISA and is not blocking 6891-6900.

Ports on clients not blocking 6891-6900 either.

I have the Global policy allowing file transfer and Unencrypted files.

The MSN client says that certain features are not available with Communicator.  File transfer cannot be started from MSN to Communicator.

I am on RTM and have upgraded to latest Communicator V 2.0.6362.13

It doesn't look like I am alone but I don't see anybody saying they got things fixed with a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:11 AM

Answers

• In an effort to save many other people time and energy here is what I have found out.

File transfer, audio, video does not work between Communicator and PIC.

File transfer also does not work from an external Communicator to an internal communicator that is behind a NAT (like ISA) firewall without making serious holes in the firewall (not recommented).

There is an obscure article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897567/en-us that basically covers this. 

This article was not found on the internet with any search words.  The only way this was found was by going to support.microsoft.com and entering     "file transfer" PIC  as the search criteria.

It would have been very nice that this be put into the Communicator Deployment guide.

It would have saved me hours of research.

Hope it saves others.

Doug

• Unmarked as answer by DougB12345 Monday, April 6, 2009 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by DougB12345 Monday, April 6, 2009 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:00 PM

All replies

• In an effort to save many other people time and energy here is what I have found out.

File transfer, audio, video does not work between Communicator and PIC.

File transfer also does not work from an external Communicator to an internal communicator that is behind a NAT (like ISA) firewall without making serious holes in the firewall (not recommented).

There is an obscure article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897567/en-us that basically covers this. 

This article was not found on the internet with any search words.  The only way this was found was by going to support.microsoft.com and entering     "file transfer" PIC  as the search criteria.

It would have been very nice that this be put into the Communicator Deployment guide.

It would have saved me hours of research.

Hope it saves others.

Doug

• Unmarked as answer by DougB12345 Monday, April 6, 2009 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by DougB12345 Monday, April 6, 2009 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:00 PM
  • How did you get internal to work?  I cannot make it work at all (internal, external), except in LM.  Do I have to open 6891-6900 on ISA for ALL file transfers?

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:23 PM
  • mltaylo3,
    This may or may not be at all related to your file transfer issues...
    I found that the issues I had transferring files between users (all internal) was directly related to the network binding order for my nics.  I have a slightly unique configuration.

I have 2 nics that put me on two networks, plus I have VMWare server installed (on my client, not on the OCS server).  It was causing my OC07 client (2.0.6362.36) to present the wrong IP when initiating a transfer.  Here is what I gather happens:

1. I drag a file to a chat window.
    2a. My client notifies the recipient that a file is waiting,
    2b. It seems to tell the recipient where to connect: i.e. IP and port.
    2c. my client then starts listening on that port.
    3. the user accepts and tries to connect to the provided ip/port.

2b. seems to be where my problems were.  I noticed it was actually presenting one of the IPs from my virtual NICs for VMWare.  My binding order was:
    private network
    public network
    vm network 1
    vm network 2
    vm network 3

by moving my public network up to the top, the problem went away.
    The way I tested/discovered this:
    I had another person try to send me a file and I carefully watched my tcp ports (sysinternals tcpview.exe).  I found I was trying to connect to a private IP that we don't use on our network but I knew VMWare did use.  I had him change his binding order and the problem went away.  Most notably, it is the sender that has the problem, not the receiver.

I think this would qualify as a bug in OC07, but I did not open a case regarding it.

I hope this helps some but you may, of course, have different problems.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Mark,

I am having the same problem. In our configuration I am inside our company network where the OCS server is and the client is connecting from internet. When one client from internet sends a file we are receiving error message and also when I used tcpview.exe’ it showed the client IP as their internal IP "192.168.1.112". I don’t no how this private IPs travel through internet. Is there any solution for this?

Regards,

T I N U

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:07 AM
  •  

The IP is sent to the receiver via some sort of specially crafted IM message.  That's how the receiver knows where to connect.  I work in academia, so all of our machines have publicly routable IP addresses.  In a traditional corporate environment, I don't know what kind of workaround is available.  You may have to use LiveMeeting to transfer files in those situations since I believe LM files are uploaded to the server for distribution.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:59 PM
  • We have the same issue with my OCS 2007.....when send file via Public network to our internal network is Fine. But when OC 2007 client between firewall.

OC 2007 client A -----Firewall -- Internet ---- Firewall ----- OC 2007 client B ( Transfer file is Failed)

OC 2007 Client A --- Firewall ---- Internet ---- OC 2007 Client B ( Transfer file is Succesfuly )

I do not know what wrong with our configuration........when I used tcpview.exe’ it showed the client IP as their internal IP.

Pls help .........
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:31 PM