incutonez's issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Stephen,

It looks like Vista's Licensing Store may be corrupt or unreadable for some reason. Try the following steps to re-create the Store, which should correct the problem.

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5) Type: net stop slsvc   (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Re-Activate. (Make sure to Activate by Phone)

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Hey Darin... I think I might be having the same problem as this user.  I get a box that pops up saying "Reinstall Windows... blah blah, pop in the CD or DVD" and you can only hit the OK button or the X in the window, which then takes you back to the log in screen... so there is no way to open internet explorer or hold ctrl-alt-del for the process window to pop up.  I also tried waiting 15 minutes for an IE window to pop up, but no dice.

I have since then tried to go through Safe Mode and do the steps you describe above, but the "net stop slsvc" doesn't work (since I'm assuming there's no networking) and apparently I do not have administrative rights when I type the "cscript" command, even though I am running CMD.exe in administrative mode.  I have also tried Safe Mode with networking, but there was no difference there.

I've tried running an MS fix, but I can't run it in Safe Mode.  My question is... is there a way to just disable this pop up window in Safe Mode and be able to enter Windows through Normal Mode, so I can run the MS fix on it?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
    • Split by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:12 PM one issue per thread
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• I have since then tried to go through Safe Mode and do the steps you describe above, 1) but the "net stop slsvc" doesn't work (since I'm assuming there's no networking) and apparently 2) I do not have administrative rights when I type the "cscript" command, even though I am running CMD.exe in administrative mode.  I have also tried Safe Mode with networking, but there was no difference there.

3) I've tried running an MS fix, but I can't run it in Safe Mode.  My question is... is there a way to just disable this pop up window in Safe Mode and be able to enter Windows through Normal Mode, so I can run the MS fix on it?

Hi incutonez,

Sorry for the wait for an answer (Holidays and all).  The problem with Non-Genuine issues is ther almost always look the same regardless of what is causing it.  So the fact that you can't even get into Normal Mode suggests that the issue is different then the original poster's.

1) slsvc doesn't run in Safe Mode so no need to stop it.  Just skip the Net Stop and Net Start steps.

2) When you say you don't have Admin Right, what is Windows telling you to make you think that? In other words, what error are you getting? (prosibly 'System Error 5 Access Denied'?)

3) What MS fix are you referring to? The one I gave or some other?

Two thing you might want to try while in Safe Mode is:

a) repairing Windows using System Restore:
    1) Reboot Vista into Safe Mode
    2) Click the ‘Start’ button
    3) In the Start Search field, type: System Restore and hit “Enter” keyboard key
    4) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    5) Click the "Next" button.
    6) Reboot back into Normal mode
    7) Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

b) If that doesn't work, try doing a System Scan. The scan will look for bad Vista files and will attempt to repair them, if possible.

1) Launch an Internet Browser
    2) Type: %windir%\system32\ in the browser's address field
    3) Scroll down till you find the file cmd.exe
    4) Right-click the file and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) In the CMD window, type: sfc /scannow
    6) Reboot twice and see if that resolves the issue.

Note: I usually tell people to do this in Normal Mode, so I am not completly sure sfc /scannow
     will work in Safe Mode. It should, but I just haven't had a chance to test it.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

p.s. I am splitting your post off to it's own thread.

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, January 4, 2010 8:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:10 PM