BAD copy of windowsXP? I tried the other links! no use? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft...

ok, this morning, that  "blue star" popped up on our computer, said validate, you are a victim, etc...

i click to validate that i purchased this!

i get to a page where it said invalid copy?

we did get this computer refurbished + straight from dell.com 4-5? years ago,

and right after our warranty expired, the hard drive crashed... we lost everything "DOH!"

( "back-up?? Whats BACKUP?" ..ok now you know who your dealing with! )

We had a coworker (Lenny) come over with a new hard drive and fix it... that was 3 years ago... he installed all the things we had on it before... it took him hours!

nothing has been wrong with it for the past 3 years... do you expect me to try to hunt him down for the codes?

Does he even have them still???

Needless to say... the "Change-Repair Product Code Tool" (or whatever it was called) said- your system cannot use that code? Wrong system?

i came up here, signed up for an account to have this resolved...

we bought the windows installed on the computer, we have the sticker/codes on the side- but it doesn't match...

we have no "install windows" disk either... we called dell before and they said we didn't need one and fixed whatever was wrong with it before over the phone...

i'm at a loss... i went to the "Run Diagnostics page", to put in this post... but it just gave me the version test tool saying everything was ok, working properly... but if i clicked on the "CHECK VERSION WINDOWS" it brings me full circle

...please remove that star from my computer and leave me alone!  ... lol-just kidding...

but still Unhappy in MN,

Homer Simpston

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:13 PM

Answers

• HEY Homer,

Without having being able to analyze your diagnostic results I will provide you with a solution based on what you indicated. Based on your description I can tell what the issue is and why you are not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product key used to install your operating system may be a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. Probably when your hard drive was repaired/installed and re-formatted the technician used his key vs. the key you have.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit. You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended). Another option is contact Dell customer service and request them to provide you with a recovery installation media disc. Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False  http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

800- 624-9896

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Helplessinmn,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Note:  if the computer has a CoA for XP and "Dell" is printed on the CoA, you can make everything Genuine again by using the correct Dell OS Reinstallation CD to put a genuine copy of XP back onto the computer.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 3:37 PM

All replies

• HEY Homer,

Without having being able to analyze your diagnostic results I will provide you with a solution based on what you indicated. Based on your description I can tell what the issue is and why you are not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product key used to install your operating system may be a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. Probably when your hard drive was repaired/installed and re-formatted the technician used his key vs. the key you have.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit. You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended). Another option is contact Dell customer service and request them to provide you with a recovery installation media disc. Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False  http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

800- 624-9896

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Helplessinmn,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Note:  if the computer has a CoA for XP and "Dell" is printed on the CoA, you can make everything Genuine again by using the correct Dell OS Reinstallation CD to put a genuine copy of XP back onto the computer.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 3:37 PM