Unable to load all raid drivers on restore RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am unable to restore my backup to a raid 0.  I think it is due to the fact that on restore, only one raid driver will load and the storage controller, NVATABUS.SYS will not load, and I do not know how to get it to load.   My assumption is based on the fact that when a do a clean install, I need both the raid driver and the storage controller to be loaded before windows recognizes the array as one disk.  They both load just fine after pressing F6 on a clean install.  I have tried over and over again to restore with only the raid driver, and it just will not work, windows only sees two hard drives and not the array.  If I can figure out to get NVATABUS.SYS loaded when restore is loading the raid driver, I think that could possibly solve the problem.  Anyone know how?
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

• Also----have you followed these steps I copied from Ken Warren:

1. copy the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from a recent backup to a USB drive.
    2. Reboot with the Restore CD.
    3. Wait (a long while) for WinPE to finish loading and launch the Restore Wizard.
    4. Respond to the first Detect Hardware dialog.
    5. In the second Detect Hardware dialog, clicked on Show Details...
    6. In the third Detect Hardware dialog, clicked on Install Drivers...
    7. Inserted a USB flash drive with your drivers (from step 1 above) and clicked Scan.

At which point, all my devices are correctly detected, including my RAID controller with RAID 5 array. I'm not sure why you're getting a different result.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:47 PM
  •  Underdog_9 wrote:

John, thank you for your efforts.   I did read all the thread regarding raid prior to my post, I should have stated that, sorry. 

Again, I followed all the steps, and the raid driver is in fact loaded, as it shows up on the list after the scan.  The array is not detected and I think it is due the fact that the mass storage driver is not loaded and will not load.  

Additionally, I have done several fresh installs of the operating system on the array and attempted to do a restore, but again no array is detected after booting with the restore CD.  Therefore, I know the array is properly set up before going into the restore. 

Of all that I read here on the forums about raid, the only part that I do not understand is:

"1. copy the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from a recent backup to a USB drive."

So where does "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder"  reside?

I am using an Nforce 4 board and NV raid.  I thought it was hardware raid, but maybe its just software raid?

Thanks again!

If you Right Click, View Backups, Open there is a directory by that name that has all the files you will theoretically need to
    Restore the PC using the CDROM Restore image and then that directory on a USB key or whatever.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:02 AM

All replies

• Have you rebuilt the array in the RAID BIOS of the Mobo???

It won't find the array as your C: Drive if you have not

Also----there was another post somewhere else that gave a GREAT description of what you had to do with RAID....

Some extra button clicks on advanced settings of the restore if I'm not mistaken.

I copied it to a folder at home because I have SEVERAL PCs with RAIDS on my network and I KNEW I'd run into a restore at some point or another.....

When I get home tonight I will post what I copied.

I'll bet it will fix the issue.

John

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Also----have you followed these steps I copied from Ken Warren:

1. copy the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from a recent backup to a USB drive.
    2. Reboot with the Restore CD.
    3. Wait (a long while) for WinPE to finish loading and launch the Restore Wizard.
    4. Respond to the first Detect Hardware dialog.
    5. In the second Detect Hardware dialog, clicked on Show Details...
    6. In the third Detect Hardware dialog, clicked on Install Drivers...
    7. Inserted a USB flash drive with your drivers (from step 1 above) and clicked Scan.

At which point, all my devices are correctly detected, including my RAID controller with RAID 5 array. I'm not sure why you're getting a different result.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Here's the post I had copied:  Souds like it would be germaine......

Hi all, it just so happens, I did this on my Media Center PC yesterday. I have a HP Media Center that used the Intel RAID Chip and had two 320GB Drives config'd as RAID 1 (mirror set). A few days ago, one of the 320GB Drives failed, originally was just going to replace the one drive, but the 320GB SATA's aren't that available anymore, in the end I decided to go with two new 500GB drives, get a little more space and test my bare metal restore from WHS.

I installed both drives, then at boot time, you should see the RAID Chip BIOS flash it's status briefly... as soon as you see it, you can hit 'Pause/Break' and read any instructions for getting into RAID BIOS Setup. For me it's 'CTRL+I', I jus thit a key to continue and quickly hit 'CTRL+I'... then I was able to set up my RAID options.

Next step was to boot the WHS PC Recovery DVD. After you select the backup set you want to restore, the next screen asks where you want to restore to... you still will NOT see your RAID disk at this point... you must use the 'Advanced Disk Management' (it's there in the dialog box for you to select). This runs Disk Manager and you should get a message that says you need to add 'disk 0' to DM to be able to manage it, of couse you want to allow this. Next, you must select 'disk 0' and create a 'Simple Partition'. In my case, I used the entire disk size available, assigned a drive letter (doesn't matter what letter) and I did a full NTFS format (wanted to confirm both new drives were OK).

Once the format was complete (at thispoint you have a drive you can recover to), closed DM and canceled PC Recovery, which will restart your computer... I don't think it's necessary to restart, but if you do and rerun PC Recovery, this time you will see the "C" Drive as an optio to recover to.

I must say, I've VERY impressed with WHS's recovery, too... perfect job, like nothing happened. Once the recovery started, it took abount an hour and everything was EXACTLY like I'd left it before I started the whole drive replacment. This has built my confidence in WHS and I now know I can entrust recoverability of my other PC's 100%, always as good as the night before a complete meltdown!

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:06 AM
  • John, thank you for your efforts.   I did read all the thread regarding raid prior to my post, I should have stated that, sorry. 

Again, I followed all the steps, and the raid driver is in fact loaded, as it shows up on the list after the scan.  The array is not detected and I think it is due the fact that the mass storage driver is not loaded and will not load.  

Additionally, I have done several fresh installs of the operating system on the array and attempted to do a restore, but again no array is detected after booting with the restore CD.  Therefore, I know the array is properly set up before going into the restore. 

Of all that I read here on the forums about raid, the only part that I do not understand is:

"1. copy the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore folder from a recent backup to a USB drive."

I am using an Nforce 4 board and NV raid.  I thought it was hardware raid, but maybe its just software raid?

Thanks again!

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:42 PM
  •  Underdog_9 wrote:

John, thank you for your efforts.   I did read all the thread regarding raid prior to my post, I should have stated that, sorry. 

Thanks again!

If you Right Click, View Backups, Open there is a directory by that name that has all the files you will theoretically need to
    Restore the PC using the CDROM Restore image and then that directory on a USB key or whatever.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:02 AM
  • John,

Just wanted to thank you for posting what you encountered on the WHS RAID restore process. I just went through the WHS restore process today, due to loosing 1/2 of one of my RAID arrays (a WD 160gb 10k drive). The WHS restore process does differ from the original OS load, primarily by not automatically prompting the discovery and formatting of the new RAID array, following the RAID driver installation step. I had a few false starts, from blue screen errors caused by either bad restore disks burns or excess memory (over 2gb). After re-burning the restore disks, and dropping my RAM to 2gb, I was able to get up to the step that you illuminated, which was using disk manager to recognize and format the new array. Once that step was accomplished, the restore process was really flawless. Thanks!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:30 AM
  • Just wanted to add something to this thread as I had similar-ish experiences, and wanted to write it down someplace so I can find it again next time ;) (Google WHS restore raid driver not found)

I have 2 raptors, raid0, Asus Crosshair 2 Formula motherboard.

Copied drivers folder from backup onto usb,

WHS restore FAILED to find the motherboard Nvidia Raid driver.

So I dug out the motherboard CD, ran the floppy makedisk files and put the drivers on floppy..

THEN copied the files onto the root of the USB.. (WHS restore FAILS to check the floppy for drivers)

Once the files are in the root of the usb WHS picks them up and... it restored them :)

Friday, February 27, 2009 1:17 AM