Bought abroad RRS feed

• Question

• My computer was bought abroad and came with wimdows xp sp2 aready installed and I was not given a disc or anything so what happens now?
    Monday, May 29, 2006 10:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Good question.

I Bought my computer used and am in the same boat.

I'll bet they never answer us.

Az Dude

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:45 PM
  • If you purchased a new computer with Windows XP preinstalled, you'll need to contact the manufacturer of your computer and order their customized OEM Windows XP recovery or restore CD.
    Monday, May 29, 2006 8:32 PM
  • If it is legal there usually is wither a windows CD or a recovery CD. If you are 100% certain this is not the case, some of them have a folder with installation files on it (usually it is named i386) - some also include folders to burn your own installation CDs; don't know whether this can be done with WinXP though, it might not even be legal. The question that I would always ask when buying preinstalled Windows, is who activated it and how can I reactivate it (in case I need to reinstall)? You really should want these questions answered when buying, and not some 6 months down the road when you desperately need to reinstall because your kids have messed it up and you need to meet a deadline...

Just to cover your behind legally, it is best practise to do the activation yourself so you don't any 3rd party involved in the license contract.

hth
    realraven
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:55 AM
  •  djandyuk wrote:
    My computer was bought abroad and came with wimdows xp sp2 aready installed and I was not given a disc or anything so what happens now?

In order to provide a ready resource for our customers to troubleshoot validation problems we have provided the following diagnostic site:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

By following the directions on this site you may be able to resolve this issue. If this still fails please provide us with the diagnostics information from the WGA Diag Tool located here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

By using the “copy” button you can paste the information in its entirety to the forum.

Note: Never post Product Keys to the internet or these forums

Hth

dave

Monday, June 19, 2006 6:16 PM