Backup Question: Common files, Shared folders & Backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  First off, if this answer is out there, I was unable to find it.  I read the technical paper on the backups and wasn't clear in my scenario how this applied.  Searching for an answer is proving tough as the terms aren't unique to the question and return tons of results that answer a question, just not my question ;)

So, let's see if I can ask this in a manner that makes sense, and thank you to anyone taking the time to assist.

I've read that WHS wisely disregards duplicates when backing up multiple systems - no point in backing up common files.  Does it also take into consideration items in the shared folders when checking for duplicates, or is it only in the backup sets?

Scenario:

I keep my music collection on my primary PC for numerous reasons and have no intention of migrating it exclusively to the WHS.  However, I wish to have the collection on WHS as well, so I have a synctoy scheduled task that runs at night to ensure all music on my computer mirrors to WHS.  This ensures each of the other systems in my home can playback the music.

I'm wondering if when WHS goes to bckup my main PC, does it see that all of that music is already in the shared folders, or is that separate? My music collection is large, over 200gb and the same holds true with my photography.  I guess if I'm syncing this info, and WHS doesn't see them as existing, I should just exclude those directories from the backups.  Due to the size, the two combined being over .5tb, that is how I currently have it set up, although I'd prefer that the backup took into account the existence of these folders for restore purposes.  Still, I don't have the space to have duplicates ;)

I hope I've made some sense here and haven't overlooked this answer.  I promise I've made an effort to find the answer :D

Thank you,

Ian

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:25 AM

Answers

• The backup database and the shares are completely separate.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ian_____ Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:24 PM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:46 AM

All replies

• The backup database and the shares are completely separate.
    • Marked as answer by Ian_____ Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:24 PM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:46 AM
  • Okay, thanks Ken.  It would be cool were that not the case, but I can see why it isn't.

Do you happen to know if there is an advanced method for more control over the backups?  The exclude process leaves a lot to be desired with having to go all the way back to root and drill down each time you omit a folder. 

The idea is obviously to just backup everything, which makes good sense for the apparent target audience.  My wifes computer is less than 40gb total, my laptops and media PC are also lightweight and it's dreamy for those.  I'm sure anyone who's had to exclude a lot of folders has longed for a simple check/uncheck exclusion process.  Am I missing a more advanced option, or is that it?

But alas, I'm talking about a $33 server product that is absolutely amazing, especially for the price and it certainly isn't my intention to come of as actually complaining :)

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:24 PM
  • The design is built around the idea that you will restore an entire client, not select folders. This makes sense, since the usual cause of a restore is a computer with a failed HDD, and one goal of Windows Home Server is to be simple enough that someone without much technical skill can still manage to use it successfully.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:17 PM