continuous checking for Microsoft Security Updates at end of Tune-up RRS feed

• Question

• This is my 1st tune-up on this desktop PC.

I'm on a 90-day trial and have been doing okay on my laptop, but now I put a 90-day on this desktop, and ...

It won't stop checking/scanning, and i don't want to discard/cancel the tune-up.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 6:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you check for updates manually by visiting Windows Update?

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Thanks for responding. I've developed a habit of manually searching and uploading Updates, Simply put, no I cannot successfully check for Windows Updates manually.

Further, I'd hoped Onecare would detect and correct the problem.

Months ago I was engaged, for MONTHS(!!), in an email conversation w/ a support tech from Microsoft, but his lengthy , complex methods f/ resolving it seemed to remedy things only briefly, if at all. Then, eventually, he stopped responding to my feedback and responses re my attempts to utilize his suggestions.  

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Well, since OneCare is accessing Windows Update and the catalog in some way, albeit differently than by using a browser, if there's a problem in checking for updates without OneCare, I don't think OneCare can fix it.

Since it appears to be a long running problem for you, have you pursued this at the Windows Update Solution Center?

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

When you access WU via your browser, what actually do you encounter? Any specific error condition?

-steve

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:20 AM
  • I'll try asking Update for help again, but I don't hold out a lot of hope, based on how it's fizzled in the past.

Everything appears as normal when I access WU. (Just the endless scrolling/searching/ green spiral.) My pc was fine for a couple years, updating automatically. Then, for some unknown reason, it stopped. Then, when I tried checking WU manually, I saw evidence of a real problem.

The support tech had me replace some files (this was after weeks of slow paced emailing back n forth) in an elaborate scheme of steps. One time it seemed to have some positive effect, as I was able to check and download @ WU manually, but this seeming success was quite short lived. I seem to get by (??) searching Download Center f/security stuff f/ XP. No apparent disaster yet.  

Thanks f/ engaging me in this. 

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Well, you can also contact OneCare support, since OneCare now wants you to be able to check for updates and can't.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

And there are some pretty sharp people in the WindowsUpdate newsgroup linked from the Solution Center.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:33 AM