Volume Licensing & Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I manage the local network and computer workstations for a middle school. We use RIS to deploy our Volume Licensed images to computers for classroom teachers. Recently, one of the computers had to be returned to HP for warranty work, which resulted in the replacement of some internal hardware. Windows now says that it needs to be activated within 30 days. I know that VLK versions of XP don't have to activate, but that certain hardware changes require activation/reactivation of the installed OEM copies of Windows. The notification tells me to follow a Start>Control Panel>etc path to activate, but the features it wants me to use aren't present on the PC, I assume because of it's VLK nature. Thoughts, advice? Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:44 PM

Answers

• Matt, can you run the diagnostics tool (as noted in the sticky posts above) and provide its output?

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Matt_Cox,

Does the computer still have the OEM installation from HP or did you connect it to the RIS server and install your school's copy?

Sounds like the OEM install from HP is still on the computer......

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:49 AM

All replies

• Matt, can you run the diagnostics tool (as noted in the sticky posts above) and provide its output?

-phil

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Matt_Cox,

Does the computer still have the OEM installation from HP or did you connect it to the RIS server and install your school's copy?

Sounds like the OEM install from HP is still on the computer......

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:49 AM