How does Mesh handle file and folder moves within a synced folder? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a directory synced between 2  or more computers and I move a file or a folder with files to another location inside the synced directory, how is that change propegated to the other computers?  Does Mesh delete the originals on the other systems and proceed to retransfer the files to their new location or does it perform a quick move operation on the remote systems?

I have a large folder of pictures that I want to keep in sync between a few computers, the direcotry is about 20GB and I will not be syncing it to the cloud, just to the workstations.  If I move a subfolder that has 5GB of images to another location anywhere within the main synced directory, I would like to know if this is going to create 5GB of network traffic to make the change to the remote systems.

I have the same question about renaming files and folders.

• Edited by Jagster Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:06 PM spelling error fixed for clarity.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As mentioned in this post (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/2dd2c74d-22ea-4645-baaa-4a9d0d11cdc7) Live Mesh will see any movement of files as a delete and create (so delete from the original location and a creation of a new file in the new location), which will cause those two actions to likewise propagate outwards as deletes and new file transfers.

Hopefully the ability to gracefully move files (even if it's restricted to a Live Mesh GUI / web frontend) is one that will find it's way into live mesh.

Oren
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:55 AM