none
Activate WHS v.1 twice - productive server + test VMWare Server possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I have bought, installed and activated WHS as a productive server with 1.5 Tb data and it's running fine. I would like to create a vmware virtual server that I just power on every now and again to test new addins before installing thwm on my production machine.

Is this possible to install and activate this test server without knackering my productive one?

Licensing-wise is this acceptable? I really don't want to have to pay for another license just to test addins every now and again

Thanks

Sam

Friday, December 3, 2010 11:37 AM

Answers

• No, it's not legal to use a license twice. Strictly speaking, your license is tied to the hardware on which you initially install Windows Home Server, as are all OEM/system builder licenses, however Microsoft is generally pretty understanding about the need to reactivate after replacing failed hardware.

If you have a need for a license that you can use for testing and evaluation, your options are an unactivated copy of Windows Home Server (could be from your current installation media, could be the trial Microsoft makes available), buying a second license, or subscribing to technet or MSDN.

For an end user, the best bet is probably an unactivated copy (which you'll need to reinstall whenever you need to test something else), because it's free. For a developer, Technet/MSDN is the way to go.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by wheatism Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:43 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 1:22 PM