windows 8.1 can't connect to home server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• hi there, I'm running windows 8.1 on a laptop and my friend has windows home server 2011 on his home pc.   I was able to access his server the first time although I didn't download anything.  that night I tried again but the page immediately went to "this page can't be displayed".  I can no longer access his server with the 8.1.  my other laptop and pc have vista and 7, and they both still work, but another friend with 8.1 has not been able to access the home server either.  im not sure why I was able to the first time.  we have used his server for years, and only now are trying to use machines running 8.1.  there are no updates pending on any machine. any help would be appreciated.

:)

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:58 AM

All replies

• Which page do you try to access from where? (internal network or Internet?)
    What about date, time, time zone? Do they match on the server and on the client PC`s?

If accessing from Internet, you could try the compatibilty view for the Windows Home Server domain in IE, although this should not be the issue (I successfully use it without such entry from Windows 8.1). Which browser do you use? Do you use the https prefix?

Can you access the website and/or shared folders from local network by using the internal name? Did the server eventually get a different IP address, which no longer matches the port forwarding entry of the router? (But since you say other machines are still working, this should not be the issue.)

Best greetings from Gemany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Monday, November 10, 2014 3:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:54 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 3:49 PM
  • thank you for your reply.  I am trying to access the server (in another state) over the internet, using the full address (https prefix included).  I am using IE fully updated on a new laptop, no other issues so far but this one.  Windows Vista and 7 are both still working fine on other machines, and even this laptop successfully accessed the server the first time I tried.  I'm not sure if it's relevant, but when I try to access the server and fail, that tab (and sometimes the entire browser) stops accessing the internet at all, and I have to start a new browser. 
    Monday, November 10, 2014 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my interrupting.

à access the server (in another state) over the internet, using the full address (https prefix included).  I am using IE fully updated on a new laptop

As Olaf suggested, would you please let us confirm whether browser the full address in IE with Compatibility View?

Meanwhile, would you please let me know whether do any change (install updates, install third-party applications or others) after that first successful access?

In addition, please temporarily disable firewall and security software on the problematic client computer, and then monitor the result.

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

you can also try to delete temporary Internet files (uncheck Preserve Favorites website data in that dialog and ensure that Temporary Internet Files and Cookies checkboxes are ticked).

Client Firewall should not play a role for https connection at all, while 3rd party security software can sometimes have nasty side effects.

Do both the working and not working machines ping the same IP address, if you try to ping servername.homeserver.com? If not, some name resolution issue may wait to be resolved.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:12 AM
  • thank you for your replies.  I've disabled the Norton 360 on the client laptop and deleted all files as suggested (cookies, etc.)  There has been no changes  in either machine (client or server) since we started.  The first connection is still the only one that IE 11 on windows 8.1 has made so far.  I'm sorry, I do not know how to ping the server, is it a command typed from the command prompt?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

first open a cmd prompt. The command to be issued within would be simply

ping domainname.homeserver.com

(replace the second part with the domain you try to reach).

You should see either a response or at least, which IP address the domain has been last registered for. The owner of the server may validate, if this address matches the external address of his router.

You could also send me an email with the domain, so that I could check, if I can reach it properly.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:47 PM