Can connect to WHS and play through I tunes on one PC but can only connect on the other! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC connected to a mediasmartserver using WHS and Itunes has been set to run from the server. From my PC I can see in Itunes the server library and play from that PC. From my laptop I can also see thye Itunes Homeserver library but I just get no sound and the exclamation mark against the tune (all of them).

Can anyone  help?

Henry
    Friday, June 19, 2009 6:00 AM

All replies

• The HP MediaSmart Server has a built-in iTunes streaming server, but I suspect that you have moved your iTunes library to your server, and pointed iTunes on your home computers at that library, and are not using the streaming server.

iTunes is designed to be a single-user media solution; it' doesn't work well in an environment where the library (the actual files) is shared. With an HP MediaSmart Server, the recommended configuration is to copy your music to the server and use the built-in streaming server to play it on all your PCs. In iTunes this functionality is the same as using iTunes on one PC to stream music from another PC.

If this doesn't describe your situation, then we will need more information. How did your media files reach your home server? Exactly how are you configuring your home PCs to play media from your server? etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:30 PM