Xbox 360 Media Center and WHS (Media Center Extender Access) RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a XBOX 360 Elite, and would like to Use the Media Center interface to replay files (music, photo and video) stored on my WHS.  Here is what happens from the XBOX interface
    1) I goto My XBOX menu
    2) click on CONTINUE
    3) the screen displays "Checking Network"
    4) the screen updates with a setup key 7674-0404
    5) I press continue and no connection is made to the WHS

on the WHS I have installed under settings a WMC object
    Music, Photos and Video folders are granted Full access
    on the WHS User accounts I have the GUEST user enabled without password

from the XBOX, I am able to view the WHS content when I choose MUSIC, PHOTO, VIDEO but not when I launch the XBOC Media Center interface.  What am I doing wrong.  I don't really want to involve another PC on the network in what would appear to be a simple file sharing exercise.  Are my expectations realistic ??
    brianb
    bmb
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:26 AM

Answers

• Your XBox is capable of simply accessing files on your server. It can't, however, act as a media center extender using your server as the media center PC, because your server isn't a media center PC.

For more information on media and your server, take a look at the Media Sharing technical brief. Note that discussion of the Xbox is somewhat out of date; it was written a couple of dashboard updates ago. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:48 PM

All replies

• Your XBox is capable of simply accessing files on your server. It can't, however, act as a media center extender using your server as the media center PC, because your server isn't a media center PC.

For more information on media and your server, take a look at the Media Sharing technical brief. Note that discussion of the Xbox is somewhat out of date; it was written a couple of dashboard updates ago. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:48 PM
  • I use my XBOX 360 to play content stored on my WHS and have experienced the problem you are describing. It started to happen after a dashboard update on the XBOX. What worked for me was I had to be signed in to my XBox live account and then the files stored on the WHS played with no problems. If I didn't log in to my XBOX live account the files would not play even though I could see them.

Cheers Rugger

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:20 PM