Why is the community filtering/search so broken RRS feed

• Question

• Why  is filtering/search in the Visual Studio community so broken?   

If I try to limit the scope of my question ("task board") to one forum ("Visual Studio Online") - it seems to be impossible to do:

If I enter "task board" in the right hand search field and click search - I get a lot of irrelevant crap about TFS.

If I then go to the left hand side and enter "Visual Studio Online" -- .... NOTHING HAPPENS

OTOH

If I start with "Visual Studio Online" selected in the left hand column (and I can only get there by entering it, the Delete "x" on the forlum lst doesn't seem to work)  

Then I select the Azure subsection/forum

And the system now shows only "Visual Studio Online" as my forum search

I then go to the right hand search box and enter "Task board"  - and voila!!! ALL the forums are search and all the same crap about TFS shows up

Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:10 PM

All replies

• Try to perform the search from the documentation page.  The main page www.msdn.com search doesn't work!!!!  It has been broken for months.

jdweng

Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:16 PM
  • Try to perform the search from the documentation page.  The main page www.msdn.com search doesn't work!!!!  It has been broken for months.

jdweng

How to reproduce the problem of MSDN online search?

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Go to www.msdn.com home page and enter a search in the box in upper right corner.  You do not get the same results as going to the documentation shortcut.  The homepage doesn't give good results.  I just entered in the home page "class library sqlclient" and go no results.

jdweng

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Thanks for the fix.  It was annoying having to go to the sub-page.

jdweng

Friday, August 22, 2014 5:37 PM
  • Go to www.msdn.com home page and enter a search in the box in upper right corner.  You do not get the same results as going to the documentation shortcut.  The homepage doesn't give good results.  I just entered in the home page "class library sqlclient" and go no results.

jdweng

Very strange. I just did a search at msdn.com (which is redirected to msdn.microsoft.com/en-US) for "class library sqlclient" (without quotation marks, of cause) and found a lot of meaningful results. So it’s not quite clear for me what is broken.

Friday, August 22, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Hello Karl,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Your issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

I will move this thread to off-topic forum.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:30 AM
  • How is asking a question about the Search Tool for Developer Documentation ... "outside the support range"  of a questin about.. Developer Documentation?

Moving the question does not make searching Developer Documentation and the community any more functional

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Very strange. I just did a search at msdn.com (which is redirected to msdn.microsoft.com/en-US) for "class library sqlclient" (without quotation marks, of cause) and found a lot of meaningful results. So it’s not quite clear for me what is broken.

Now if you use quotation marks you see this thread only.  

Is this proof for an inference that that is how the original search was done?   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:53 PM