Won't Accept a Valid Password RRS feed

• Question

• I have had trouble getting my Windows Server Connector to work on my Windows 10 computer (Surface 4). It was working, then stopped for unknown reasons.  I can still connect to the server to get software, so I reran the Connector software install.  It runs fine, then needs a password to proceed.  But it won't accept the password, even though I know it's correct.  I'm stumped as to how to get past this.

Any thoughts appreciated.  I have tried the remedial steps on this forum with no change.

• Edited by Davesud Tuesday, November 1, 2016 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Does your Surface 4 has the Anniversary update installed?

If yes, you could refer to the following similar thread:

Windows 10 anniversary update breaks WHS connector install

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/09a41a60-1696-4341-85f8-a1373a46082e/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-whs-connector-install?forum=whs2011&prof=required

Just creating a folder named "Windows Server" in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows.

Try it and report back.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Creating the missing folder allowed the Connector to install - it was not a password issue.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:29 PM
  • I believe I have the Anniversary update since I keep my Windows current.  How to tell?

I did create the missing folder and it had no effect.  Meaning the install still failed by not recognizing the password.

Somewhat bizarre is that I can access the Server using Home Server Console application, which requires the same password.

I'm stumped.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:40 PM
  • System, About - Anniversary Edition is Version 1607 (On a PC, not sure about Surface).

What do you mean by "I can access the Server using Home Server Console application"? That doesn't work without the Connector installed!

You used the word "Console" rather than "Dashboard" - does that mean you are using the original Windows Home Server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:42 PM
  • Thanks, Phil.

I do have version 1607.

When I installed the Home Server originally, it included an HP MediaSmart Console (the version of Home Server I have is a prepackaged HP version). In the console are various ways to interact with the server, including the Home Server Console  I am guessing it is what you call the Dashboard. It is software version 2.1.12.27366 dated 4/27/2009.  There are no updates available.

I agree that some part of the server connector is installed sine I can use the Dashboard.  But the backup functionality does not work (its all greyed out) and the Status Monitor on the Windows Task Bar says the Home Server is not connected.

I see no way to enable the connection, which is why I decided to reinstall it.  Some more (possibly irrelevant) details:  When the install gets to the point where it will not accept the password, if I click "Cancel", it will uninstall everything including the Console/Dashboard.  So what I have to do is run Task Manager and actually kill the install.  It then leaves the Console/Dashboard still installed and it works successfully. 

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:02 PM
  • OK sounds as though you have the original WHS, not WHS2011 for which Microsoft issued a Hotfix to allow for backing up UEFI based PCs (which Surface 4 almost certainly is). If that's the case sadly, I think you are probably stuck with no backups.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Hmmm.  Curios that I backed this very computer up for many months before it broke....
    Monday, November 14, 2016 8:14 PM
  • Hmmm.  Curios that I backed this very computer up for many months before it broke....

Ah, that's what you meant by: "It was working, then stopped for unknown reasons."? If so, I have no idea - this is probably a problem of trying to run old unsupported software (original WHS) with modern devices!

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:56 PM
  • Thanks so much for trying to help.  I really appreciate it.

Davesud

Monday, November 14, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:42 AM