OS Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• WHS is apparently built on Windows Server 2003. I was browsing licenses in my Partner program and I noticed an entry for Windows Home Server 2008.

Does that mean the OS will be updated to a more recent version of Windows Server? Is this an upgrade we can expect for our commercially purchased verion of WHS? Or will we have to pay to upgrade? Timeframe? Any other info? Thanks!!
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:24 PM

Answers

• Microsoft doesn't have any plans to upgrade Windows Home Server V1 to run on Windows Server 2008 (or any other version of Windows), as far as I know. There has been some discussion of future versions of Windows Home Server in the blogosphere, but that's all pretty speculative at this point. You might want to look at some of the Windows Home Server entries on Mary-Jo Foley's blog for one flavor of that speculation...

When a new version of Windows Home Server is released, I would expect that it will not be a free upgrade.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:36 PM

All replies

• Microsoft doesn't have any plans to upgrade Windows Home Server V1 to run on Windows Server 2008 (or any other version of Windows), as far as I know. There has been some discussion of future versions of Windows Home Server in the blogosphere, but that's all pretty speculative at this point. You might want to look at some of the Windows Home Server entries on Mary-Jo Foley's blog for one flavor of that speculation...

When a new version of Windows Home Server is released, I would expect that it will not be a free upgrade.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Thanks. I just can't help but be curious about the entry WINDOWS HOME SERVER STANDARD 2008 (for partners) on their partner website. If anyone knows if that's not really WHS, or a business version, let me know. I'll probably download and install it on a virtual machine to test it out...
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:29 PM
  • bbotz, I've noticed that, too.
    As Ken said, WHS is still built off of Server 2003.  I'm pretty sure (call this an educated guess) that "Windows Home Server 2008", there, means "WHS w/ Power Pack 1" (because PP1 was released in 2008), and is also a poor choice in words on the part of the Partner site.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Thanks, Chris. Given the security upgrades in versions, I'm surprised they have not upgraded to 2008 yet and are leaving us with six year old technology for a supposedly modern product. I would love to see them upgrade to bring their loyal WHS customers to a more up-to-date and secure os.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:23 PM