how long between exams? RRS feed

• Question

• I took exam 70-536 about a year ago -- April 2010.  I had intended to take 70-562 next, to get an MCTS, but I got a new job, and that took up most of my time, so I put off the MS exams.  I'm wondering if it's still OK to take 70-562.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that you need to take all exams for a given certification within a year.  I looked around to see if I could find that in a FAQ somewhere, but didn't find it.  Does anyone know if that's correct, or am I still OK to take the next exam, even if I don't get around to taking it until 13 months after taking the first exam?  Thanks.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

as long as your exam is not expired, it is valid and count towards your certifications. And the exams do not expire after a special time. They expire, when Microsoft thinks that the technology is to old now and no longer relevant.

The Visual Studio 2008 exams do not have a fixed expire date so far (or at least nothing is published).

An example of an expiring exam can be the 70-549 - A PRO exam of Visual Studio 2005 which is expiring end of june 2011:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-549&Locale=en-us

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by shang_chi Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:33 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I think you can. Because, i took my mcts exam for windows (70-505) after 6-7 months from 70-536 and for the 70-562, i took more than 18 months.

-- Thanks Ajith R [MCTS:ASP.NET&Win Forms]
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Hi,

as long as your exam is not expired, it is valid and count towards your certifications. And the exams do not expire after a special time. They expire, when Microsoft thinks that the technology is to old now and no longer relevant.

The Visual Studio 2008 exams do not have a fixed expire date so far (or at least nothing is published).

An example of an expiring exam can be the 70-549 - A PRO exam of Visual Studio 2005 which is expiring end of june 2011:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-549&Locale=en-us

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by shang_chi Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:33 AM
    Answerer
  • Ajith and Konrad,

Thank you both for the replies.

I still want to get that second exam done, but it's nice to know that I don't have that deadline.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:00 AM