locked
Need a Centralized Backup Solution, Please Advice RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Hi, I need a system to handle 3TB of my digital asset (songs, pictures, video, movie, personal document and software tools), and I expect it will grow to 6-8TB in about 3-5 years. This system will act like a centralized media storage where it can streams the multimedia contents to my living room and also to all other computers connecting to it (a PC and iMac). This system will act like a backup device to my PC and iMac, where all backup process is performed automatically per schedule.

    I also need some kind of redundancy to protect my digital asset in case of HDD failure in this system. I prefer something simple & easy to manage.

    I have been hearing about NAS, WHS & RAID setup. But different people said different pros/cons for each one. I don't know how to decide due to lack of experience/knowledge. How should I approach this problem?

    Thanks
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:57 AM not a technical question
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:42 AM

All replies

  • cpcp said:

    Hi, I need a system to handle 3TB of my digital asset (songs, pictures, video, movie, personal document and software tools), and I expect it will grow to 6-8TB in about 3-5 years. This system will act like a centralized media storage where it can streams the multimedia contents to my living room and also to all other computers connecting to it (a PC and iMac). This system will act like a backup device to my PC and iMac, where all backup process is performed automatically per schedule.

    I also need some kind of redundancy to protect my digital asset in case of HDD failure in this system. I prefer something simple & easy to manage.

    I have been hearing about NAS, WHS & RAID setup. But different people said different pros/cons for each one. I don't know how to decide due to lack of experience/knowledge. How should I approach this problem?

    Thanks


    Well, you're in a Windows Home Server forum, so you can probably guess what the majority of people here will say. ;)

    First, RAID is unsupported on WHS.

    For redundancy, WHS uses a technology called Folder Duplication which is similar to RAID 1 (aka mirroring), except FD is per share, not per drive.  It offers expandable storage by simply plugging in a new drive and adding it to the storage pool.  It also offers streaming through Windows Media Connect 2.0 (which works with devices such as an XBox 360).  PC backups occur nightly and automatically (as long as the clients are either in stand-by or hibernation).  The new HP MSS models (EX485 and 487) have a way of backing up Macs as well, but since I have neither the HP MSS nor a Mac, I can't give you many details about how that function works.  Personally, I love the product (I've never had a single problem with it except when I was tweaking/hacking the OS during beta a couple years ago, and that was my own fault :)  ).

    If you want more information regarding WHS, you should look at the MS WHS site.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:07 AM
    Moderator
  • kariya, thanks in the first place.

    What is the max storage an HP WHS can handle? Since it only has 4 drive slots and if I fill in all with 1.5TB I only get 6TB? How do I get 6-9TB range?

    Besides, what is the best way to back up the data inside the whs box (double protection)? Should I use the second whs or something else like drobo or nas?

    Thanks
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:18 AM
  • cpcp said:

    kariya, thanks in the first place.

    What is the max storage an HP WHS can handle?
     

    In theory, unlimited.  It's based on how many drives you are able to connect.

    cpcp said:

    Since it only has 4 drive slots and if I fill in all with 1.5TB I only get 6TB? How do I get 6-9TB range?

    First, there are other servers out there besides the HP model (some have more drives).  Or, if you are good at building computers, you could build your own WHS.  My custom server has room for a total of 9 internal drives, plus 4 external drives. ;)  Second, the HP model has USB/eSATA ports for even more hard drives (although some users have had issues with using USB drives in the storage pool).  Third, 1.5 TB is no longer the biggest drive (it's now 2 TB).

    cpcp said:

    Besides, what is the best way to back up the data inside the whs box (double protection)? Should I use the second whs or something else like drobo or nas?

    Thanks

    You can use either of those options.  However, the problem with both of those are they are not off-site.  I agree with the "double protection", but having both extra copies of files on-site is worthless in the event of fire, flood, theft, etc.  My belief is one on-site (Folder Duplication), one off-site (Power Pack 1 backup tool).

    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:48 AM
    Moderator