Email to undisclosed recipients encoded RRS feed

• Question

•  

After much troubleshooting, I have discovered that when we receive an email message from someone with all recipients in "bcc", AND OneCare is on, the message comes through with all headers showing in the message and any attachments show in ASCII text format.  If even one address, i.e. the sender's, is included in the "to" field, the messages come through clean.

I cannot find any reference to email in OneCare settings, help, or forums, but when I uninstall OneCare, the messages come through clean.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:14 PM

Answers

• I don't know that OneCare does any type of email scanning of incoming or outgoing mails, so it's hard to say what the root cause of the issue is.

Is there any other security software installed that might interact with email?  Spam blockers, other AV software?  If so it might be causing a conflict with OneCare resulting in the issue.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

• I don't know that OneCare does any type of email scanning of incoming or outgoing mails, so it's hard to say what the root cause of the issue is.

Is there any other security software installed that might interact with email?  Spam blockers, other AV software?  If so it might be causing a conflict with OneCare resulting in the issue.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Was this ever resolved. I have had the same problem for several months now. The only thing I can add is that there are exception -- not very often but nevertheless...

Well, maybe there is something else. I have Office 2003 installed on the offending (Vista Ultimate) machine. I can have the e-mail messages sent to another machine  (Vista Premium) with Office 2007 installed; The messages are received with proper formating and can be forwarded to the Office 2003 machine without stripping the formatting. In other words, an email that loses its formating when sent direct can be sent through another machine with no ill effects.

I have been fighting this for months now and am at wits end. Please help.

Oh! I don't believe I have Windows Live OneCare installed on any of these machines. (At least, I hope not.)

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Ron, I marked the thread answered as the original author never returned. OneCare doesn't scan or affect emails, but that's not your issue, since you aren't using OneCare - therefore, you are off topic for this forum. I recommend that you try the Outlook newsgroups - 

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Just for the record, if you are sending emails between machines, you are actually sending them through your Internet provider's email server. I suspect that something is happening at your ISP's end that causes the formatting to be stripped when all recipients are Blind CC'd and there is no actual To: address. Try addressing the message to your BCC recipients and also put yourself in the To: field of the message. Perhaps that will get past whatever the ISP server is doing.

-steve

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:09 AM