Will Vail testers be able to buy the stand alone version once its released to use on our servers boxes we currently own? RRS feed

• Question

• I actually like the way HS Vail works now. Large capacity hard drives are so reasonably priced that it doesn't really matter if the DE is gone. The remote web functionality makes the Vail version mush more user friendly and faster than whs v1. Now that I have my trial version of Vail set up the way I want it. I would like to know if the beta testers will be offered the opportunity to purchase Vail once its released to keep their servers functional?

I am hopeful Microsoft will answer this one.

I am a fan of Vail now and I want to keep it.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:43 PM

Answers

• On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:43:49 +0000, Ickypoopypants1 wrote:

I actually like the way HS Vail works now. Large capacity hard drives are so reasonably priced that it doesn't really matter if the DE is gone. The remote web functionality makes the Vail version mush more user friendly and faster than whs v1. Now that I have my trial version of Vail set up the way I want it. I would like to know if the beta testers will be offered the opportunity to purchase Vail once its released to keep their servers functional?

WHS V1 was available through retail channels like NewEgg. I'd expect the
    same to be true for WHS 2011.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:59 PM

All replies

• Not sure whether you are asking whether you can install the RTM over RC without losing data or your configuration? In either case, I would recommend rebuilding the server with your server backup disk disconnected. Then recover your data (which you also have backed up somewhere else) from a server backup once you have reconnected the disk. That's my plan anyway and is likely to work but not guaranteed until we know what the RTM version is.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:56 PM
  • On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:43:49 +0000, Ickypoopypants1 wrote:

I actually like the way HS Vail works now. Large capacity hard drives are so reasonably priced that it doesn't really matter if the DE is gone. The remote web functionality makes the Vail version mush more user friendly and faster than whs v1. Now that I have my trial version of Vail set up the way I want it. I would like to know if the beta testers will be offered the opportunity to purchase Vail once its released to keep their servers functional?

WHS V1 was available through retail channels like NewEgg. I'd expect the
    same to be true for WHS 2011.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:59 PM
  • ... and the price will be ...

My UK bought WHS v1 cost £66 in Dec 2009. So perhaps $100 or more now?

Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:06 PM