Contact Permissions in OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a script that prepopulates every users contact lists with most employees in the company (say round 95 or so).

Under OCS 2005 - as an administrator i could open each AD user and set up the OCS notify permissions for each user - and set it to allow everyone - rather than ask permission (notify) for each user that has added employee X to their contact list.

Under OCS 2007 this setting has gone - and now when i repopulated our contact lists (since i had to delete OCS 2005 DB before i could install OCS 2007) - everyone is getting notified (and being asked wether to allow/block each user).

Surely this functionality has not been removed - and im just not looking in the right place.

Can someone let me know where abouts I should be looking to find these settings.

I would appreciate if someone does have the answer that they cc me directly as well as to this list.

Regards,

_\|/_   Kyle P Brophy NDBC, MCP
          (o o)   IT Manager - Elastomer Products Ltd
    ---oOO-(_)-OOo------------------------------------------------- 
                Email: kbrophy@elastomer.co.nz(NOSPAM)

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Kyle,

In the communicator.adm that comes with the documentation there is a group policy setting that can be enabled. NotificationsForNewSubscribers

Communicator 2007 shows notifications for new subscribers, unless the user has selected otherwise in the Options dialog box.
    0 or not set = User control (default).
    1 = Communicator shows notifications for new subscribers. The Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list check box in the Options dialog box is selected and unavailable.
    2 = Communicator does not show notifications for new subscribers. The Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list check box in the Options dialog box is not selected, and is unavailable.

Let me know if that worked.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Kyle,

In the communicator.adm that comes with the documentation there is a group policy setting that can be enabled. NotificationsForNewSubscribers

Communicator 2007 shows notifications for new subscribers, unless the user has selected otherwise in the Options dialog box.
    0 or not set = User control (default).
    1 = Communicator shows notifications for new subscribers. The Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list check box in the Options dialog box is selected and unavailable.
    2 = Communicator does not show notifications for new subscribers. The Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list check box in the Options dialog box is not selected, and is unavailable.

Let me know if that worked.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Hi Kyle,

Can you let me know the status of your issue? DId that policy setting help?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:23 PM
  •  

Dear ,

I like to announce all of you that there is a Free Tool lanched at www.ocscm.com for manage Office Communications Server 2007/2005 Users contaclt list in easy and effieciencly way fro IT Administrators  in any orgainzations

< OCSCM is a replacement of MS VB Scripts>

Product Overview

Release Goal

OCSCM is a free tool used by IT administrator to manage OCS users’ contacts list in efficiently and easy way. IT Administrator can assign, reassign contacts to any user, create new OCS User and find any contact easily and quickly. They can also send emails to all contact lists about new OCS User.

Product Scope

OCSCM will enable IT administrator to manage operations related to OCS users to save IT stuff efforts and time, it provide the following operation

1.       Availability of Create OCS user (Active Directory user with live communication server option Enable).

2.       Assign &Reassign contacts list to OCS user.

3.       Delete any contact from all OCS users exist in Contact List.

4.       Send Notification mail to all contacts (contact list users) about the new OCS user.

www.ocscm.com
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:18 AM
  • How do you turn off the option altogether? I am trying to change this option via the registry. Would you need to install a new key at HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\NotificationsForNewSubscribers?
    Friday, February 29, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Same issue!

I've opened the communicator.adm file, but only see this:

POLICY !!PolicyNotificationsForNewSubscribers
        EXPLAIN !!ExplainText_NotificationsForNewSubscribers
        VALUENAME "NotificationsForNewSubscribers"
            VALUEON   NUMERIC  1
            VALUEOFF  NUMERIC  0
        END POLICY

and this

PolicyNotificationsForNewSubscribers="Show notifications for new presence subscribers"
    ExplainText_NotificationsForNewSubscribers="When this policy is enabled, Communicator will show notifications for new subscribers. The \“Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list\” setting in the options dialog should be checked and disabled.\n\nWhen this policy is disabled, Communicator will not show notifications for new subscribers. The \“Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list\” setting in the options dialog should be unchecked and disabled.\n\n.When this policy is not configured, Communicator will show notifications according to the \“Notify me when someone adds me to his/her contact list\” setting, which can be changed by the user."

How do I modify this to enable automatic additions?

All in all, I would like to simply modify a "global policy" (if possible) to disable to notification.

Thanks,
    Dave

Monday, December 15, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Dave, what do you mean by 'enable automatic additions'? 

If you add the communicator.adm template to the Group Policy Object Editor then you can apply these changes globally.  If you want users to not see any messages then configure the setting as Disabled.  This will turn off notifications for all OC clients and also gray-out the checkbox in their OC client Options so it cannot be re-enabled by an individual user.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:26 PM