I don't even know how to describe the problem... it involves how things appear on my screen... I think it may be a driver problem. HELP. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, Service Pack 3, and use Norton Internet Security 2009 (fully registered and updated constantly), and also use Spybot.  In the nearly 3 years I've had this laptop, I've only twice encountered a virus; both times it was immediately detected and dealt with.  I currently use IE7.

I received the laptop new, as a gift, in December 2006, and had no problems until December 2008, and I still have no idea what happened.  I can only describe the results.

Many photos on websites now appear distorted.  A photo may appear clear in some areas, where other areas look as though black ink had been spilled on them.  On one particular friend's website, the photo of him that I had copied from the website 2 years ago and stored in the laptop, still looks normal.  However, if I now go to the website, his normally pink skin looks like black India ink had been spilled on it.

On other websites, instead of a photo appearing, only a pink box will appear.

I have discovered, however, that if it is a site where I can download pictures (such as http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/download....) no matter how they may look on my screen, they will download (into my 'Microsoft Clip Organizer' folder, for example) properly.

This is the best that I can explain, however if it were possible to attach a file, I would be better able to show an example.

At about the same time as this problem arose, I started having problems with my audio.  My SigmaTel audio files disappeared and had to be redownloaded.  However, now, when I play the music that I have stored in my laptop, some songs or parts of songs will sound fine while others sound either scratchy or jumpy.

I don't know what to do and don't know enough about computers to even start guessing at what to do.  I'm handicapped, so it's nearly impossible for me to get out and bring the laptop somewhere.

I think that it may be something as simple as a driver problem and suspect that whatever happened last December zapped some driver files, but I don't know enough on how to check out this theory.

I really have no idea what forum would be the best for this problem.  Thanks.

If anyone has a clue on how to fix the problem, please reply in Non-geek Computer for Dummies 101.  Thanks.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:05 AM

Answers

All replies