none
system drive failure RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have had this problem on my homebrew unit twice, (repair seemed to have fixed it), two SATA 500Gb Samsung Spinrites and two SATA 500Gb Seagate Barracuda. The unit has 1Gb of fast RAM. Foxconn 946GZ/PL7MA motherboard.

Is it truly the drive or is there (heaven help me for suggesting this) a bug in the somewhere?

I assume that the "system disk" will always be SATA connector 1 on the motherboard, can anybody confirm this, as, if the drive is truly defective I want to remove it from the system and replace it, but the software only reports that it is one of the seagates.

Any help gratefully accepted

PME 

Note: this was in a post about warranty failure on an HP unit but i got no responses

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:50 PM

Answers

• Colin

thanks, I installed both seagates at the same time, so its likely that the first connector is the system disk then?

I installed an addin called client info but it reports "failure not predicted" on all drives.

I'll download seatools and try that

regards

pme

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:52 PM

All replies

• PME,

You need to check your motherboard BIOS, different manufacturers use different methods - ie, some use 0 as the first drive. Initially though, I would download the Samsung & Seagate disk tools to check the disks properly, or at least something that can read the SMART info, as it could be an underlying problem which is causing the problems. Also, did you install ALL the drives at once, or are some added after the initial WHS installation, the reason being that WHS will grab the first drive and if this wasn't in the 0(1) connection, but was the only drive, then your error on connector 1 might not be the first drive, (if you see what I mean!)

HTH,

Colin

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Colin

thanks, I installed both seagates at the same time, so its likely that the first connector is the system disk then?

I installed an addin called client info but it reports "failure not predicted" on all drives.

I'll download seatools and try that

regards

pme

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:52 PM