none
Console can't connect to the server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a big problem with my home server setup: the console suddenly stopped working (and so did remote access). When I try to connect it says:

This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

The icon in my system tray is still green and I can still access my shared folders.

What I've tried so far:
    - giving the server a static ip
    - editing my host file
    - reinstalling the connector software on the client machines
    - restoring my router to factory defaults
    - reconfiguring the server's firewall
    - shutting the server down by holding the power button
    - installing KB948496

I also did a port scan: ports 80, 135, 139, 443, 445, 1025, 1138, 2869, 8080, 8912 and 18099 are open. Port 3389 is not blocked by my router and is listed as an exeption in the server's firewall.

What else can I do?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:38 PM

All replies

• Can you ping your server by name? By IP address? How is your server connected to the network? Your clients? Usually the message you mention comes down to a name resolution issue, though there are other possibilities.

It would be useful to run the command:

ipconfig /all

in a command prompt on both your server and one of your clients, and post the results here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Just in case this is an issue, a report from another forum reports close to/ or the same http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4970&st=0&gopid=29335&#entry29335

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Client:

I'll translate it for you if you can't make out what is says.

Server:

And yes, there is a name resolution problem (according to the connector trouble shooter). When Installing the connector software I have to search manually for the server.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Could anyone please help me?
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hi,
    you should remove LAN from the DNS Suffix Search list and from the DNS suffix settings in the TCP/IP properties or in the router settings for DHCP - wherever you made that entry. This could cause your machines try name resolution at a DNS server of your ISP, which for sure doesn't know your internal names.

If your router supports UPnP, try to enable it.

On the server, in Network Properties-TCP/IP click Advanced and on the WINS tab activate NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    Reboot both clients and server.

If name resolution still not works, there is still an unsupported workaround:
    Add a record pointing to your server to the text file hosts in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc.

The problem with such a manual change is, it can be forgotten in the future, and if the IP address of your home server should change (due to server reinstall or after a power outage), troubleshooting easy will miss that file.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Thank you for your help, but it's still not working. 

First of all, I didn't make any manual changes (on both the server and the clients). It just suddenly stopped working. The last thing I did on the server while it was working was uninstalling Kerio Mailserver.

There is also nothing in the DNS search list and I can't change my routers DHCP setting, because my ISP has made a limited firmware for the router.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 12:22 PM
  • So what happens, if you pull the plug between router and Internet?
    Is there a firmware update available? (You could tell your ISP, that the default DNS suffix entry disrupts your internal network eventually.
    Did you try the method with the hosts file editing on one client? (In Vista open notepad as Administrator and then load the hosts into the editor via File/Open dialog.)
    You did also not answer Kens questions about pinging the server from the client by name and by IP address.
    Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 1:06 PM
  • When I disconnect my DSL cable I still can't access the server. There is no firmware update (why is this needed: it worked just fine until about a week ago), the hostfile is already edited and pinging the server (by IP) works fine. I haven't figured out how to ping it by name yet...

Do  you think reinstalling the server would help?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Hi,
    pinging by name would be to open a command prompt on the client and type
    ping server-denboer

If name resolution works on its own or your hosts file on the client is correctly configured you should get an output like:

Ping wird ausgeführt für server-denboer [192.168.1.74] mit 32 Bytes Daten:
    Antwort von 192.168.1.74: Bytes=32 Zeit<1ms TTL=128

Ping-Statistik für 192.168.1.74:
        Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 4, Verloren = 0 (0% Verlust),
    Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Mittelwert = 0ms

A server reinstall is only the last resort, although it could help in your situation. But usually name resolution problems are initially not caused by the server.

Is your client or your server multi homed (has multiple network adapters or devices treated as such)?
    In this case login locally and check in Control Panel/Network the menu item Advanced/Advanced Settings. The relevant LAN adapter should be listed on the top position here. If the sequence is wrong, the answer may be replied via wrong interface, causing communication not to happen.
    On the Vista clients you find the same menu, if you open the Network and Sharing Center and click Manage Network Connections on the left side.

Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Hi,
    I'm getting the same outcome as you predicted and no, my server is not multi homed (and neither are the clients without a wireless connection).

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 8:56 PM
  • One of the last ideas would be to check, what happens, if you disable (temporary) the Windows Firewall on both the client and the server.
    Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 9:46 PM
  • I already tried that. Didn't work
    Friday, December 5, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Hm,
    I wonder, if there is really nothing in the event log of the server. Anything in the security log, warnings in the application or system log which would show, if there has been communication, but rejected? Especially interesting are DCOM errors - I have seen such causing entered password rejected as wrong.
    Did you install any additional applications on the server?
    Check also the logs on the server (Start\Run: %qlogs%) and on the client: Vista path "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs".

Maybe it would also be a good idea to create a bug report on Connect.
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 12:22 AM
  • I can't find anything out of the ordinary. I installed Kerio mailserver as additional software. Removing it was the last thing I did while the console was still working properly.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Hi,
    A couple of possibilities:
    On your server, your 'Node Type' is set to unknown, this can have an effect when searching to connect. This KB explains it, plus this one explains how to set it correctly. In general, WHS is set to 'Mixed', or 'Hybrid'.
    The other thing, I take it your home network is named 'Lan'? as the DNS Suffix Search List should be whatever your home network is named.

Finally, have you tried re-installing Kerio, it's just possible that it did change something when un-installed, but I can't think what.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Editing the registry didn't help. I also added the name of my home network in the DNS Suffix Search List: no effect. My network isn't named Lan by the way. I named it WORKGROUP (default).

I've already tried reinstalling Kerio, but that didn't work either.

I think I'm just going to reinstall WHS on the server. That should do the trick, right?
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:45 PM
  • MADB7 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Editing the registry didn't help. I also added the name of my home network in the DNS Suffix Search List: no effect. My network isn't named Lan by the way. I named it WORKGROUP (default).

I've already tried reinstalling Kerio, but that didn't work either.

I think I'm just going to reinstall WHS on the server. That should do the trick, right?

You could try it.  If the problem is with the server, then it should take care of itself.  However, if the problem is with the client, it probably won't help.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:23 PM