Opening *.qfx stopped sending the file to Microsoft Money for me RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I installed the recent (1 earlier) version of hleofxquotes that allows for manual input of qfx files, my direct import using the registry changes that Cal Lerner provided no longer works. I don't know whether this is causal or just a coincidence, but I would like to restore that function.   I ran the reg file again with no improvement.  I confirmed that it is Microsoft Money Handler as the default *.qfx file in Control Panel >default programs, but it still won't work.  It does work if I choose to imported downloaded statement from within money.  Any ideas?

Peace,

BobJ

Saturday, February 2, 2019 5:06 AM

Answers

• SOLVED!  I found something that worked on Amerdan's Microsoft Money Offline Weblog that purported to fix a problem in Windows 10 concerning the inability to set MsMoney Import Handler as the default qfx program in  Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs.  The fix was to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mnyimprt.exe and delete the NoOpenWith entry.  Even though I was using Windows 7 and MSMoney Import Handler was already set as the default, I tried it anyway.  Lo and behold the generic icon for my qfx file tuned into the Money icon and double clicking on it opened Money and imported the qfx file.  So I'm back in business.  Thanks everyone for their help.

• Marked as answer by bobjbkln Monday, February 25, 2019 4:14 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 4:14 AM

All replies

• Hi BobJ,

my direct import using the registry changes that Cal Lerner provided no longer works. 

You mean, double-click on *.qfx to be imported directly into money? The tools hleofxquotes is self-contained and does not make any change externally to the OS so it is unlikely to have caused the issue you are seeing.

If you simply delete the hleofxquote jar file, do you still see the issue? 

Saturday, February 2, 2019 8:12 AM
  • «You mean, double-click on *.qfx to be imported directly into money?» Yes and see below for details

«The tools hleofxquotes is self-contained and does not make any change externally to the OS so it is unlikely to have caused the issue you are seeing.» Thanks for the info; that is why I said it is probably a coincidence that it occurred around the same time.

«If you simply delete the hleofxquote jar file, do you still see the issue» The issue remains

Here is what happens now:

Note that I am using Firefox 65.0 on a Windows 7 Home 64 bit computer.
    When I download a qfx file: I get the dialog box asking whether I want to save the file or open it using Microsoft Money Handler .  If I click on Open, nothing happens, except that the dialog box closes

When I double click on a saved qfx file: Nothing happens

when I use hleofxquotes to import a qfx file: Nothing happens

When, from within Money, I click on Import downloaded statement: The file is imported as expected

FYI: The export of my [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx] registry entry, yields the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx]
    @="ofx.Document"
    "Content Type"="text/qfx"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew]

--

Peace,

BobJ

Saturday, February 2, 2019 11:35 PM
  • When I double click on a saved qfx file: Nothing happens

See if the the money import handler is working at all

• Rename one of you QFX file to suffix OFX. For example: test1.qfx to test1.ofx
    • Double click on test1.ofx. Does it work?
    Sunday, February 3, 2019 4:17 PM

When I change the extension to ofx, the icon changes from the generic to the Money icon and the file is imported as expected.

• Edited by bobjbkln Sunday, February 3, 2019 4:38 PM
    Sunday, February 3, 2019 4:38 PM

When I change the extension to ofx, the icon changes from the generic to the Money icon and the file is imported as expected.

Maybe try running qfx2ofx.reg again.

==========begin qfx2ofx.reg===============================
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx]
    @="ofx.Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\text/qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"
    ==========end qfx2ofx.reg===============================

Sunday, February 3, 2019 7:16 PM
  • «Maybe try running qfx2ofx.reg again»

I've done the three times including one using the copy included in your last post without any change.  I posted the contents of my [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx] registry entry above which matches what you have previously posted.  Did I miss anything?  Is there any other registry entry I need to check.--

Peace,

BobJ

Sunday, February 3, 2019 10:09 PM
  • You might see what the Window associates with .qfx. Here is what I see:

You could make a batch file to copy the *.qfx file to a *.ofx name, and then launch that file. Yes, its is an extra step, but it could work around the problem.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 11:39 PM
  • Nothing showed up in your message following «Here is what I see:» But here is my screen shot from Control Panel>Default Programs>Associate a filetype,,,>.qfx:

\

My registry has 101 references to qfx.  One of them probably got corrupted.

As to the batch file, I believe it's no less work than importing the *qfx file directly within Money, but your registry change method (when it worked) was a lot easier.

• Edited by bobjbkln Monday, February 4, 2019 1:31 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 1:29 AM
  • What happens if in that dialog you highlight the one with the Money logo, then check the box to "Always use...", and finally click OK?

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, February 4, 2019 3:21 AM
  • It accepts the change, but that does not change the results when attempting to open a qfx file.  However, on reopening the Open With dialog box, the default has reverted back to Microsoft Money Import Handler (without the icon)

• Edited by bobjbkln Monday, February 4, 2019 4:53 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 4:51 AM
  • It accepts the change, but that does not change the results when attempting to open a qfx file.  However, on reopening the Open With dialog box, the default has reverted back to Microsoft Money Import Handler (without the icon)

You want the import handler.
    Monday, February 4, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Oops - sorry. Yes you do want the import handler, but it may not be identifying it correctly. Click the browse button and find your installation of Money, going into the MnyCoreFiles folder (hidden/system). Select Mnyimprt.exe. The registry may not be pointing to the correct installation location. Let us know if that fixes it.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, February 4, 2019 4:46 PM
  • Question
    Mine shows the same, only I do not have the Money icon showing, just the generic one. Does that indicate a problem?  Note that my Mnyimprt.exe file in my MnyCoreFiles folder has the generic icon.
    Monday, February 4, 2019 9:05 PM
  • I find a lot of the registry stuff hard to follow. I went looking into my registry, and found no occurrence of "[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/SysInfo/hkey-classes-root-key talks of that, but I did not assimilate it.

What may or may not be of interest or use to you is that I do have these, and only these, containing qfx in my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive:

===========================================

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.qfx]
    @="ofx.Document"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.qfx\ofx.Document]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-qif]
    "Extension"=".qif"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\text/qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"

==================================================

I can't interpret them for you, however.

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 1:49 PM
  • I find a lot of the registry stuff hard to follow. I went looking into my registry, and found no occurrence of "[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/SysInfo/hkey-classes-root-key talks of that, but I did not assimilate it.

What may or may not be of interest or use to you is that I do have these, and only these, containing qfx in my HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive:

===========================================

@="ofx.Document"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-qif]
    "Extension"=".qif"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Content Type\text/qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"

==================================================

I can't interpret them for you, however.

Mine is similar, but lacks the last two entries

=======================================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

@="ofx.Document"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew

======================================================

I tried to import them in by adding Regedit4 as the top line, but nothing happened.  I don't know enough to enter them manually and have no idea if it would make any difference anyway.

Thanks for your help.  Just strange that it would stop working like that.

--

Peace,

BobJ

Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:19 AM

• Mine is similar, but lacks the last two entries

MIME is Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions. I don't know why qfx or ofx would be a mime type, but I expect those entries are not what is holding you back from launching *.qfx files.
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:12 AM
  • I had this QFX import issue a couple of years ago.  The registry script didn't seem to work.  I don't remember the exact sequence that I used to get it working, but I think it may have had to do with permissions.  Maybe try logging in as an administrator (not just "Run as administrator") and then running Cal's registry script.  If that "takes", then check the file associations and choose the Money import handler as the default for QFX files.

FWIW, my Microsoft Money Import Handler also has a what seems to be a generic icon:

I'm running Windows 10 Home 1803.

Bill Becker

Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:26 AM
  • Thanks Bill.  I'll try this and report back. 
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:03 AM
  • I have been running Money for years. Citizens Bank still supports OFX. I have Chase CC accounts and when they dropped OFX I never made any registry changes. Instead I just rename QFX files to OFX and that has worked well until Feb 1. Now when I change the extension Money imports the file but the expected data isn't there. 

Is that thr problem other people are having now?

Rajahmon

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:23 PM
  • The problem with Chase downloads is described in this thread:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2bc7e8b-4912-473b-bcb7-f8bf2cbe55e3/cant-import-qif-file-from-chase-bank-to-money-plus?forum=money

The bottom line is that Chase isn't formatting their  OFX/QFX file properly.  They are omitting the FTID for the transactions.  It appears that everyone involved with the Chase OFX/QFX downloads is aware of the problem except the Chase technical person with the ability to fix it.  There are workarounds described in this thread:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f9a4fa77-fe71-4eed-a66e-c828572ab911/fixchasefitidnonepy-python-script-to-fix-up-chase-ltfitidgtnone?forum=money

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:51 PM Added link
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:49 PM
  • o change.  I even changed thesetting on the users group permissions on mnmoney.exe and mnyimprt.exe to full control .  Still didn't work.

--

Peace,

BobJ

Friday, February 8, 2019 2:57 AM
  • SOLVED!  I found something that worked on Amerdan's Microsoft Money Offline Weblog that purported to fix a problem in Windows 10 concerning the inability to set MsMoney Import Handler as the default qfx program in  Settings > Control Panel > Default Programs.  The fix was to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mnyimprt.exe and delete the NoOpenWith entry.  Even though I was using Windows 7 and MSMoney Import Handler was already set as the default, I tried it anyway.  Lo and behold the generic icon for my qfx file tuned into the Money icon and double clicking on it opened Money and imported the qfx file.  So I'm back in business.  Thanks everyone for their help.

• Marked as answer by bobjbkln Monday, February 25, 2019 4:14 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 4:14 AM

I am glad you stuck with it.

Based on your finding, I searched my registry for any occurance of NoOpenWith. There was none. Makes me wonder where that entry came from.

Monday, February 25, 2019 4:31 PM
  • If I search my registry (Windows 10 version 1803) there are many occurrences of NoOpenWith.  This is way off topic, but here is some information on the use of NoOpenWith:

From “Microsoft Windows Registry Guide” by Jerry Honeycutt

Applications

To display an application in the Open With dialog box, that application must register

in HKCR\Applications. Each subkey in Applications bears the name of the program

file. For example, Notepad is in HKCR\Applications\Notepad.exe. You must also add

the OpenWithList key to the file extension key, as described earlier in this appendix.

You find combinations of the following values and subkeys in the program’s subkeys:

■ FriendlyAppName. This REG_SZ value contains the application’s friendly name.

This value can contain a string, but it more likely contains a value in the format

@file,- resource, where file is the name of the program file containing the string

resource identified by resource.

■ NoOpenWith. This empty REG_SZ value indicates that Windows should not add

the program to the Open With list.

■ SupportedTypes. This subkey contains a list of file extensions, including the

leading period, which indicates which type of files the program can open. For

example, HKCR \Applications\mplayer2.exe\SupportedTypes contains the

empty REG_SZ values .asf and .mp3, indicating that the program can open files

that have these file extensions. This list filters the Open With list.

OpenWithList

Sometimes users want to open files with applications that aren’t associated with the

file class. For example, a user might want to open a document in WordPad instead of

Microsoft Office Word 2003. In other cases, users might want to open files that have

no file associations. The Open With dialog box allows both scenarios.

The applications you see in the Open With dialog box are registered in HKCR

\Applications. This key contains one subkey for each application, and the subkey

bears the name of the program’s executable file. You can prevent Windows from displaying

an application in the Open With dialog box by adding the REG_SZ value NoOpenWith to HKCR\Applications\program.exe.

So it appears that the NoOpenWith registry value simply blocks an application from showing up in the “Open with” dialog.

But there are many subtleties in the registry structure, so there may be more to it than that.  For example:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is a global hive, which means it can contain information that applies to all the users on the computer, and is viewable by every user. This is in contrast to some hives that have information that applies only to the currently signed-in user.

However, because HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive is actually combined data found in both the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes) and the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes), it also contains user-specific information as well. Even though that's the case, the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is still able to be browsed by any and all users.

This means, of course, that when a new registry key is made in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive, the same one will appear in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes, and when one is deleted from either, the same key is removed from the other location.

If a registry key resides in both locations, but conflicts in some way, the data found in the signed-in user's hive, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes, takes priority and is used in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

I don't have the background, time, or inclination to pursue this any further, but I am happy that my QFX association works and that bobjbkin has fixed his problem.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Monday, February 25, 2019 9:19 PM Clarification
    Monday, February 25, 2019 5:40 PM